• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What is the Paul strategy?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Steve

Reaction score
For several weeks I have been writing about Ron Paul's upset victories at district and state GOP conventions, and about the surprising success of his delegate strategy. Now, with Paul's delegate sweeps in Maine and Nevada, it looks like Mitt Romney and the Republican Party are finally starting to catch on to the trend.

Paul supporters swept this weekend's state GOP conventions, picking up 21 of 24 RNC delegates in Maine and 22 out of 28 delegates in Nevada. The twin victories come on the heels of Paul's surprise delegate wins at district caucuses and state conventions in Missouri, Minnesota, Colorado, and Louisiana, as well as a Paul-friendly takeover of the Alaska GOP.

Paul supporters have managed to stage these state-level coups despite significant resistance from local Establishment Republicans,

In Nevada, the Paul sweep was largely expected — the Silver State has been a Ron Paul stronghold since the 2008 election, when the state GOP literally turned off the lights at their convention to avoid seating Ron Paul delegates to the national convention. Since then, Paul supporters have won elections to local and county GOP boards, and are now major players in state Republican politics.

"The Establishment is us now," Ron Paul's Nevada campaign director Carl Bunce told Business Insider before this weekend's convention. "If we turn off the lights, we know where the light switch is."

Privately, sources close to the Ron Paul campaign say they believe Republicans will continue to ramp up his efforts to block Paul delegates at state conventions, particularly after Romney's embarrassing delegate losses in Massachusetts. But state organizers tell Business Insider that Paul supporters are significantly more organized than Romney's delegate team, and are ready to put up a tough fight in states like Idaho and Washington.

At this point, it is difficult to gage the actual delegate count, but even his closest campaign advisors admit it would be virtually impossible for Paul to deny Romney the nomination in Tampa.

So why are Establishment Republicans so concerned?

Even if the nomination is not in play, an army of Paul delegates could cause significant problems for the presumptive nominee, who needs a smooth convention to assuage concerns about his ability to unite and energize the Republican base.

While some of Paul's delegates will be bound to vote for Romney on the first ballot, they will not answer to Romney's campaign. That means that the presumptive nominee will have little control over how those delegates vote on the other issues at the convention, including the party platform, the convention chair, and even the vice-presidential nominee. If Paul winds up with the majority of delegates in six states — and it looks like he might — they will have the power to stop the convention proceedings, and make a motion on anything from electing a new convention chair, to changing the rules, to introducing new platform positions.

Sources close to the Ron Paul campaign tell Business Insider that senior strategists are already hunkering down to plan their convention strategy. The campaign did not respond to requests for comment, but if the state convention results are any indication, Romney underestimates their plan at his peril.

Read more: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-05-09/politics/31629069_1_paul-supporters-paul-campaign-romney-supporters#ixzz1wbaNwnOg

the answer is simple,.. ignore the vote and raise enough havoc at the republican national convention to allow Obama a second term..

What few real Paul supporters realize is they no longer control the movement, that has been hijacked by a bunch of throwback liberals.. who just want to smoke dope and ignore the world..

I personally will not vote for anyone who disregards my vote so callously..

So Steve if all the dirty deals work and Paulis the nominee you will vote for Obama?

smalltime said:
So Steve if all the dirty deals work and Paulis the nominee you will vote for Obama?

Is this the way you want your nominee to be picked with DIRTY DEALS? :?

If this is the way you feel then Obama, Acorn, New Black Panthers, Holders DOJ, and the DNC should be right up your alley with all their DIRTY DEALS to get want they want. :roll:

Ron Paul may have a lot of ideas that really need a hard look, but he is also smart enough to know he is standing pretty close to the edge. He will get his time at the convention but will not do anything to cause the party to look down on or worse, hold a grudge against his son Rand. Son has a solid following and may Be in the coming years the candidate his dad can nor ever will be.
He is smart enough to know causing a big stink and not falling in to support Romney and if Obama wins reelection by a slim margin that can be traced back to his failings will cause hell to pay and he is not the one having to write the check.

Thats a fair question Tam and I'll try to answer.The words dirty deals I used because That's what I thought Steve might call the politics of primaries.I dont know if it's right or left or wrong but if It gets Ron Paul The shot at debating Obama in the general elction I'm all for it .Call it what you want.Ron Paul Will not run as a third party.Strait up republican or nothing.You want Romnry? Be prepared to live with it.Good luck but be prepared because I'm gonna say I told you so.

smalltime said:
Thats a fair question Tam and I'll try to answer.The words dirty deals I used because That's what I thought Steve might call the politics of primaries.I dont know if it's right or left or wrong but if It gets Ron Paul The shot at debating Obama in the general elction I'm all for it .Call it what you want.Ron Paul Will not run as a third party.Strait up republican or nothing.You want Romnry? Be prepared to live with it.Good luck but be prepared because I'm gonna say I told you so.

In order to say "I told you so" Romney would have to do worse than obama is doing and that is very very unlikely.

cowman52 said:
Ron Paul may have a lot of ideas that really need a hard look, but he is also smart enough to know he is standing pretty close to the edge. He will get his time at the convention but will not do anything to cause the party to look down on or worse, hold a grudge against his son Rand. Son has a solid following and may Be in the coming years the candidate his dad can nor ever will be.
He is smart enough to know causing a big stink and not falling in to support Romney and if Obama wins reelection by a slim margin that can be traced back to his failings will cause hell to pay and he is not the one having to write the check.

I doubt Paul is the problem,.. it is some of the supporters who have taken over and are using his nomination to create havoc...

we had a meeting awhile back... most are boring and take about a half hour.. a friend who is a local mayor called and asked me to come as well as a few others... I soon found out why... 14 "Paul" supporters showed up and tried to take over the meeting.. made motions read from the rule book,.. and in general were a real pain in the butt ... three hours later we were able to finally close the meeting..

after words I mentioned at least a few of them were democrats.. and was corrected that at least twelve of the 14 voted in 08 as democrats but had recently changed party affiliation.. one still had an Obama08 bumper sticker..

had it been a normal not well attended meeting, they would have been able to vote out all the members and been able to basically run the county party for several months.. making up the rules as they go...

word is they are doing this all over the place and creating a significant problem..

I don't have a problem with conservatives fighting and making the party better... but some of these guys are anything but conservatives..

locally we not only vote for the nominee but also for the delegates...

I had intended on voting for Paul or Santorum as a protest vote and then voting on Santorum's delegates to get the party to move to the right.. but with the Paul supporters planning on wrecking havoc at the nationals.. I will probably vote for Romney and his delegates

smalltime said:

and when Obama gets re-elected because of a few misguided Paul supporters and a bunch of left over pot smoking anti-war liberals sabotage the national convention, will you take the blame?

Thats a fair question Tam and I'll try to answer.The words dirty deals I used because That's what I thought Steve might call the politics of primaries.I dont know if it's right or left or wrong but if It gets Ron Paul The shot at debating Obama in the general elction I'm all for it .Call it what you want

your right dirty deals is the appropriate term.. do you feel ignoring a majority of the republican party vote to make a point is right?

I don't... I respect the fact that we can vote and then abide by the vote.. but if elections are decided by who can be the most annoying and pull the sleaziest tricks, we are no better then any other third world country..

I cant say for anyone else but I will vote for Romney.And yes no matter how it goes I will take the blame.I dont trust him any more than I trust Obama.My vote will be a protest against Obama.I would like a box to mark on the ballot that indicated that.Some of those leftovers are war veterans.I always try to be respectful of war vets and not call them names.

Latest posts