• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

what the hale is a critical thinker

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
xcuse me but dont believe I have ever met one ???????????
good luck

From what I can gather, it's what you call yourself when everyone else has proven you to be wrong and you just can't bring yourself to admit it and move on.

Hay maker
Re:
what the hale is a critical thinker xcuse me but dont believe I have ever met one
A "critical thinker is the opposite of "sheeple" and I am sure you have meet some if you hang around with anyone who is successful in business.
You may even be one and don't even know it!
SL

Sheeple (a portmanteau of "sheep" and "people") is a term of disparagement, in which people are likened to the herd animals sheep.
The term is often used to denote persons who voluntarily acquiesce to a perceived authority figure's suggestion without critical analysis or sufficient research to understand the ramifications of that decision.
By doing so, Sheeple undermine their own individuality and may willingly give up their rights.
The implication of the term is that people fallaciously appeal to authority and believe or do what they are told by perceived authority figures who they view as trustworthy.
The term is generally used in a political, social, and sometimes spiritual sense.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheeple

Critical thinker:
Critical thinking is the process or method of thinking that questions assumptions.
It is a way of deciding whether a claim is true, false, or sometimes true and sometimes false, or partly true and partly false.

The origins of critical thinking can be traced in Western thought to the Socratic method of Ancient Greece and in the East, to the Buddhist kalama sutta and Abhidharma.
Critical thinking is an important component of most professions.
It is a part of the education process and is increasingly significant as students progress through university to graduate education, although there is debate among educators about its precise meaning and scope.[1]
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_thinking
Also see:
http://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/defining-critical-thinking/766

Sir Loin, Im thinkin that you believe a critical thinker is a person that has the intelligence to think deeper than a "sheeple" ?
Funny with all that thinking ability you posess, you seem to be having some difficulty fitting in with these Ranchers, now I will be the first to admitt, most folks that are smart enough to pencil cattle and earn a living on the land are hard headed and determined the ones that arent dont last long, kinda comes with the territory some might even be a little opinionated, hale who knows most might even be the term you like to kick around "critical thinkers" difference being they dont tout it, remember these folks been earning a keep off the land a long time, what does that tell you ?
good luck

PS There is a difference between a so called "critical thinker" and a self proclaimed expert, get by off the land a couple decades that's the yard stick I use for this so called critical thinkin, round here we call it common sense.

HAY MAKER

Re:
Sir Loin, Im thinkin that you believe a critical thinker is a person that has the intelligence to think deeper than a "sheeple" ?
That's not true.
Sheeple can have intelligence equal to or higher than the average critical thinker, but they elects not to use it, depending on the issue at hand.
Some times I elect to be a sheeple when the issue is not of importance to me.
When the issue is of importance to me I do what all people should do. "THINK" before you act and find the truth.

There is not a person on here that can't be a critical thinker, if they want to be, and many are.
Critical thinking is not a special gift from God, it is a self taught thinking process with the out come being, finding the truth regardless of your own position on the issue.
Critical thinkers have no preconceived conclusion when entering into evaluating an issue, whereas sheeples most often do.
And yes, common sense does play a part in critical thinking also.

As for those who can't deal with the truth, that's not my problem.
The only thing I can say to them is:
OK, so we agree to disagree, can I buy ya beer.
SL

Sir Loin said:
HAY MAKER

Re:
That's not true.
Sheeple can have intelligence equal to or higher than the average critical thinker, but they elects not to use it, depending on the issue at hand.
Some times I elect to be a sheeple when the issue is not of importance to me.
When the issue is of importance to me I do what all people should do. "THINK" before you act and find the truth.There is not a person on here that can't be a critical thinker, if they want to be, and many are.
Critical thinking is not a special gift from God, it is a self taught thinking process with the out come being, finding the truth regardless of your own position on the issue.
Critical thinkers have no preconceived conclusion when entering into evaluating an issue, whereas sheeples most often do.
And yes, common sense does play a part in critical thinking also.

As for those who can't deal with the truth, that's not my problem.
The only thing I can say to them is:
OK, so we agree to disagree, can I buy ya beer.
SL

You just disqualified yourself. You have been shown proof of the safety of ethanol by products as well as been told how to adjust for any potential problems in feeding these products yet you ignore it and prefer to continue to beat the same dead horse not only here but over on CT before you were expelled from that sight. From all you've told me, you had probelms with your calves which you immediately credited to the use of corn gluten feed. What you refuse to acknowledge is "improper" use of corn gluten feed. I don't know what else you want but you definitely have no plans to allow anyone or anything to change your mind.

if Sir Loin is the resident criticle thinker, then I feel we ought to make Haymaker the resident criticle drinker... while Sir Loin bases his thoughts on study and facts, Haymaker tends to go with a fifth of liquid courage.

I think Sir Loin has added more thought provoking discussion than your drunken ramblings Haymaker

jigs said:
if Sir Loin is the resident criticle thinker, then I feel we ought to make Haymaker the resident criticle drinker... while Sir Loin bases his thoughts on study and facts, Haymaker tends to go with a fifth of liquid courage.

I think Sir Loin has added more thought provoking discussion than your drunken ramblings Haymaker

I rather enjoy Hay Maker's contributions. Sir Loin has also offered some useful information. We can all learn something from each other, and none of us should allow our egos to stand in the way of constructive discussion.

Soapweed said:
I rather enjoy Hay Maker's contributions. Sir Loin has also offered some useful information. We can all learn something from each other, and none of us should allow our egos to stand in the way of constructive discussion.
:agree: but I would change the end to read "in the way of critical criticism"
:lol2: :lol: :lol2:
Sorry Soap.....I couldn't help it :)

Soapweed said:
jigs said:

:agree:

jigs said:

:roll:

jigs said:

When you learn how to spell, you might get a little bit of attention you keep seeking, until then keep making your cheap insults, if you think they are thought provoking, little fat punk with a big mouth, sums you up well.
You dont like the drunk ramblings ? Quit reading them and get a life.

HAY MAKER said:
jigs said:

When you learn how to spell, you might get a little bit of attention you keep seeking, until then keep making your cheap insults, if you think they are thought provoking, little fat punk with a big mouth, sums you up well.

Tell us how you really feel, Haymaker! :lol:

HAY MAKER said:
jigs said:

point being, in a world that has so many different types of operations and theories of how to make things work, you seem to be one of the first ones to pop in with a "my way or the highway " type of ego. possibly that stupid Texas Pride you brag up....it just strikes me as odd that you come off as a kindergarten kid half the time. Sir Loin brings up discussion points, and educational topics, you are like a M.A.D.D. posterboy.

jigs said:
HAY MAKER said:
jigs said:

point being, in a world that has so many different types of operations and theories of how to make things work, you seem to be one of the first ones to pop in with a "my way or the highway " type of ego. possibly that stupid Texas Pride you brag up....it just strikes me as odd that you come off as a kindergarten kid half the time. Sir Loin brings up discussion points, and educational topics, you are like a M.A.D.D. posterboy.

And what strikes me odd is my take on you is a hired hand trying to act like someone you are'nt, jumping in and out of folks posts with your sarcastic mouth, this makes about the 3rd time you have done it to me, first few times i overlooked it, If I was you I would find another topic besides "thought provoking" posts I quit reading your childish ramblings long ago until you butt in someone's post with your sarcastic BS.
Like I said dont read my posts if you find them drunken ramblings, your input wont be missed, that I guarantee.
good luck & adios

Gentleman,
Just in case the moderator failed to send you this PM I received last week, please take note and remember we are on a public forum and are suppose to be professionals representing the cattle industry.
Thank Q
SL

Tone it down
Keep the argumentative posts and insults out of the Coffee Shop, please. Political Bull and Bull Session are the two forums provided for that. In those two forums, we overlook more of that and have more limited moderating (keep in mind that doesn't mean zero moderating, however).

I realize that you're somewhat new around here, but we like to think of the Coffee Shop as a friendly place. Thank you for your cooperation.

moderating here is a joke. it is a public forum, but it seems that a certain few need feathers ruffled before anything is done...several have crossed the line and nothing happens.... haymaker, I could give a rats ass what you think of me. I am not one of the ego maniacs, I was a hired hand for 15 years, and slowly went off on my own, now I run a modest sized farm, and a moderate number of cattle, and buy/sell hay also....currently, I am working on buying one mans yearly production, just a little over a million dollars for the whole deal.
if you want to measure penis, then whip it out you old drunk bastard

It seems to me that this gives two extremes, "Sheeple" and " Critical Thinkers". I doubt if they really exist.

Sheeples seems to be someone who just accepts what he is told or what he reads as the truth, and Critical Thinkers just accept what they themselves understand from what they hear or read.

I think most people are somewhere between, and accept long standing truths or sources of truth, and question sources that don't fit historically or otherwise with the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts