• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What the soldiers say

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
Did you notice while SecDef Gates was in Iraq that all the reports coming from Iraq only quoted soldiers that were for an increase in troops strengths? Did you notice that Gen Abizaid and Gen Casey, who had just a couple of weeks before said they didn't want more troops, have suddenly done an about face on that? Here's some of the other side of the troop opinion. Excepts; link below.

"In dozens of interviews with soldiers of the Army's 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment as they patrolled the streets of eastern Baghdad, many said the Iraqi capital is embroiled in civil warfare between majority Shiite Muslims and Sunni Arabs that no number of American troops can stop.

Others insisted current troop levels are sufficient and said any increase in U.S. presence should focus on training Iraqi forces, not combat.

But their more troubling worry was that dispatching a new wave of soldiers would result in more U.S. casualties, and some questioned whether an increasingly muddled American mission in Baghdad is worth putting more lives on the line.

Spc. Don Roberts, who was stationed in Baghdad in 2004, said the situation had gotten worse because of increasing violence between Shiites and Sunnis.

"I don't know what could help at this point," said Roberts, 22, of Paonia, Colo. "What would more guys do? We can't pick sides. It's almost like we have to watch them kill each other, then ask questions."

Based in Fort Lewis, Wash., the battalion is part of the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team of the 2nd Infantry Division. Deployed in June, its men were moved to Baghdad from Mosul in late November to relieve another Stryker battalion that had reached the end of its tour.

"Nothing's going to help. It's a religious war, and we're caught in the middle of it," said Sgt. Josh Keim, a native of Canton, Ohio, who is on his second tour in Iraq. "It's hard to be somewhere where there's no mission and we just drive around."

Capt. Matt James, commander of the battalion's Company B, was careful in how he described the unit's impact since arriving in Baghdad.

"The idea in calling us in was to make things better here, but it's very complicated and complex," he said.

But James said more troops in combat would likely not have the desired effect."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061228/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_more_troops

Dis wrote:
Did you notice that Gen Abizaid and Gen Casey, who had just a couple of weeks before said they didn't want more troops,

Asked again whether more troops are needed, the general responded, "We do need more troops and the more troops we need are Iraqis."

Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona, a possible presidential candidate who has called for more troops in Iraq, accused Abizaid of simply supporting the status quo.

McCain asked whether the general really believes U.S. troop strength is sufficient to accomplish his aims.

The general acknowledged the military could send 20,000 more troops to help stabilize Baghdad, but said he is not prepared to recommend such a commitment.

given the stated mission.....the general answered the question...that if the goal was for the Iraqis to take over then sending more American troops would not be a solution.....maybe it's time to change the mission?...

The media and liberal democrats are focused on the sectarian violence....the Iraqi defence and police force are not taking on the mission to confront this.....so leaving the job to them is not the answer......The best Military in the world can do this if the "political mission" is scrapped, and they are allowed to do thier JOB.

Frankie give it up, I talk to Marines as often as I can and what they say is not even close to the crap you post on here. These are Marines in WPNS Co, the first to go, the first to conflict with the enemy, the first to engage. The DNC crap that you spout is nothing but hate Bush propaganda. I am sick and tired of this coming from those that perport to supporting the troops but not the war. Your crap is not in support of the troops and they know it, stop the lies. There are more people killed in gang wars in LA and New York everyday, get over it, you libs cannot change that as much as you would like to try. Your hatred of GW Bush has overcome your sense and responsibility as an American.

sw said:
Frankie give it up, I talk to Marines as often as I can and what they say is not even close to the crap you post on here. These are Marines in WPNS Co, the first to go, the first to conflict with the enemy, the first to engage. The DNC crap that you spout is nothing but hate Bush propaganda. I am sick and tired of this coming from those that perport to supporting the troops but not the war. Your crap is not in support of the troops and they know it, stop the lies. There are more people killed in gang wars in LA and New York everyday, get over it, you libs cannot change that as much as you would like to try. Your hatred of GW Bush has overcome your sense and responsibility as an American.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts