• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

what to feed the fall works crew

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jillaroo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some ideas on what to feed the "boys" for weaning and fall processing.

I'm drawing a complete blank really...

I do know from experience that anything too fancy gets left for me to clean up. :)

Since we are eating the left overs from the weekend i think I am an expert.
Tam had homemade beef and vegetable soup (real hearty) with fresh buns and her homemade cold meat. PIE for dessert. For supper we had roast beef and mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and fresh buns and PIE.
Yesterday when the vet was here we had bar B que beef on a bun, beans and PIE.
Last night it was down to three of us and we had corn chowder, Buns and PIE. :D :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Since we are eating the left overs from the weekend i think I am an expert.
Tam had homemade beef and vegetable soup (real hearty) with fresh buns and her homemade cold meat. PIE for dessert. For supper we had roast beef and mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and fresh buns and PIE.
Yesterday when the vet was here we had bar B que beef on a bun, beans and PIE.
Last night it was down to three of us and we had corn chowder, Buns and PIE. :D :D :D

Not much guessing about your favorite part!

:lol: :lol:

well we usually eat up in the barn , so Sue fixes a crook pot and we have something that can be eaten out of a bowl , Chili, stew, last year she fixed lamb and lentils. One guy with the vet turned up his nose but he end up eating 3 bowls. usually rolls and butter , slide cheese, milk and chocolate sheet cake .

Because I am helping with our fall work and our kitchen is 7 miles from the corrals I do a bunch of prepping the day before. Make a huge amount of mashed potatoes, put in casserole dish topped with lots of cheese and cooked bacon, and then the day of the work pull out of fridge so it warms to room temp...when you get back from work pop in oven for 30 min. Always do a crockpot or roasting pan with chuck roasts, pull apart and serve on buns. Makes a ton, no one complains! A crockpot too of frozen corn, cream, sautéed onions and peppers, lots of butter,and throw in a whole cooked package of bacon. Cook on low. A great easy side! Desserts I always make the day before. Chocolate devils food cake with butter cream frosting and chocolate icecream :) Grilling pork chops are easy, as well as a made the day before pan of lasagna and garlic bread.

Chili and beer,and that always keeps them coming back.Plus there is no leftovers,may have to go get more beer though.

Lisa makes a mean Green Chilli, and since this country isn't real used to the more traditional Mexican food, she usually makes a pot of Green Chili. You serve that over open faced burgers and I founder.

If you are on Facebook, go to Ranch Wives Recipe Swap. Its a group, not a page. Lisa has come up with some amazing ideas off of there, and if you tell them how many you are cooking for, they will plan your meal for you... :D :D :D

As long as there is lots of pie, Crown Royal and Coke the main course doesn't really matter :D Roast beef, chilli, lasagna, cabbage rolls, all great dishes for such occasions. At least I think they are, but then I don't have to cook either so maybe there are better choices at least from the chef's point of view :oops:

I'm a cook and I want to know what Tam's cold meat PIE is, and what is
slide cheese, jody?

I think you got some excellent suggestions there, jillaroo. Well, maybe with the exception of Denny's NO BEEF menu of friend chicken and pork chops. :p :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have done BBQ Beef brisket sandwiches, baked beans, coleslaw and dessert.

Reading all this good stuff makes me hungry.......and we are only having potato soup for supper. :wink:

Faster horses said:
slide cheese, jody?

I think you got some excellent suggestions there, jillaroo. Well, maybe with the exception of Denny's NO BEEF menu of friend chicken and pork chops. :p :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reading all this good stuff makes me hungry.......and we are only having potato soup for supper. :wink:

There was a period... between cold meat and PIE :D

Tam has a sandwich meat recipe made out of hamburger It's nice to have it made out of our own ground beef.. :D

Denny said:
Fried chicken and pork chops.
You would never catch me serving any thing but beef. That is like going to a chicken farm to process birds and they feed you beef. Got to stick with what you are working is my model besides the cattle are more humble if they smell beef on you breath :wink: any way just busting you chops :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:
slide cheese, jody?

There was a period... between cold meat and PIE :D

Tam has a sandwich meat recipe made out of hamburger It's nice to have it made out of our own ground beef.. :D

:oops: OOPS, I guess I need to read slower. :oops: I thought it would be something like mincemeat pie; which the old guy that sets up to the table, really likes. I don't. So thought I might have found a compromise with Tam's cold meat pie. :p :wink: :D

So, will she share her sandwich meat recipe made out of hamburger?

cure said:
Denny said:
You would never catch me serving any thing but beef. That is like going to a chicken farm to process birds and they feed you beef. Got to stick with what you are working is my model besides the cattle are more humble if they smell beef on you breath :wink: any way just busting you chops :lol:

It was a joke buy seriously what would it hurt. Beef is fine but a good piece of fried chicken is good also. And fried pork chops that are scorched a little are mmmmm mmmmmmmmmm good. Married a town girl so we have all types of food at our brandings. Scalloped potatoes and ham, cheesy hashbrown potatoes,banana split dessert and grilled steaks are what we serve and a lot of beer.

Denny said:
cure said:
Denny said:

It was a joke buy seriously what would it hurt. Beef is fine but a good piece of fried chicken is good also. And fried pork chops that are scorched a little are mmmmm mmmmmmmmmm good. Married a town girl so we have all types of food at our brandings. Scalloped potatoes and ham, cheesy hashbrown potatoes,banana split dessert and grilled steaks are what we serve and a lot of beer.

When we used to trade branding help all around the neighborhood, one of the bigger ranches was always the last to brand. The head cook for the branding dinners figured by then that everyone was tired of beef, so she always had a huge cooker full of fried chicken. It was always very well received, and no one ever went away hungry.

Years ago, a longtime bachelor neighbor finally acquired a wife from the big city. She was a gourmet cook, but not used to feeding a hungry branding crew. About halfway through the line, the meat ran out. Those of us bringing up the rear had a vegetarian branding dinner. I guarantee that never happened again, and for the next many years there was always a very ample supply of beef. :)

Denny said:

Make sure you don't have a strong tree and good rope or you might regret your choice of meats.

We have a neighbor who at local REMC dinners and other social events will try to find out what is being served and will bring steak for his family if anything except beef is being served.

He will also give you an ear full for eating chicken or hog - - - he will cut you slack on turkey or fish - - - and only half in jest!

Latest posts