• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's behind the Tebowing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Larrry

Reaction score
Tebow was born in Makati City in the Philippines, to American parents who were serving as Christian Baptist missionaries at the time. His mother, Pamela Elaine (née Pemberton), is the daughter of a U.S. Army colonel, and his father, Robert Ramsey Tebow II, is a pastor.[1][10][11][12][13][14] While pregnant, his mother suffered a life-threatening infection with a pathogenic amoeba. Because of the drugs used to rouse her from a coma and to treat her dysentery, the fetus experienced a severe placental abruption. Doctors had expected a stillbirth and recommended an abortion to protect her life,[1] although abortions are illegal in the Philippines, but she decided not to have one.

Tebow is the youngest of five children, with sisters Christy and Katie, and brothers Robby and Peter.[15] All of the Tebow children were homeschooled by their mother, who worked to instill the family's Christian beliefs along the way.[11] In 1996, legislation was passed in Florida allowing homeschooled students to compete in local high school sporting events. The law specifies that homeschooled students may participate on the team of the local school in the school district in which they live.[16] The Tebows lived in Jacksonville, Florida, and he played linebacker and tight end at the local Trinity Christian Academy for one season. Tebow's preferred position was quarterback, but Trinity football team's offense did not rely on passing the football, so he began to explore his options to play for a new high school.[17] He decided to attend Nease High School, which under head coach Craig Howard was known for having a passing offense. With the rest of his family living on a farm in Duval County, Tim and his mother moved into an apartment in nearby St. Johns County, making him eligible to play for the football team at Nease. His performance soon turned heads and led to a minor controversy regarding the fact that he was a home-schooled student having his choice of school to play for.[18]

Tebow came into national prominence as a junior at Florida's 4A Nease High School. He kept Nease competitive in an interstate game against perennial 6A powerhouse Hoover High School of Alabama, nearly pulling off the upset. Tebow was soon known not only for his running and throwing, but for his intense competitiveness and uncommon physical courage. Later that same year he suffered an injury to his right leg late in the first half of a game. Originally thought by the Nease coaching staff to be a bad cramp, he played the entire second half with a broken fibula, at one point rushing for a 29-yard touchdown. After the game the extent of the injury was discovered and he was held out for the remainder of his junior season.[19] Nevertheless he was named Florida's Player of the Year and became a major college football quarterback prospect.[20] During his senior season he led the Nease Panthers to a state title, earned All-State honors, was named Florida's Mr. Football and a Parade magazine high school All-American, and repeated as Florida's Player of the Year.[20][21] Tebow finished his high school career with 9,810 passing yards, 3,186 rushing yards, 95 passing touchdowns and 62 rushing touchdowns. He played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas which features the top 78 senior high school football players in the nation and is shown nationally on NBC television.[22]

Tebow was considered one of the nation's top recruits and was the subject of an ESPN "Faces in Sports" documentary. The segment was titled "Tim Tebow: The Chosen One", and focused on Tim's homeschool controversy and missionary work in the Philippines, as well as his exploits on the field of play and the college recruiting process.[23] Tim Tebow was also featured in Sports Illustrated on the "Faces in the Crowd" page.[24] In 2007 he was named to FHSAA's All-Century Team that listed the Top 33 football players in the state of Florida's 100 year history of high school football.[25]

Despite having family ties to the University of Florida, where his parents first met as students,[26] Tebow remained open-minded during the recruiting process and became very close to Alabama coach Mike Shula.[27] After careful consideration he decided to play for Urban Meyer's Florida Gators. One of the reasons he chose Florida was because of Meyer's spread option offense, an offense for which Tebow was deemed an archetypal quarterback.[28]

Tebow spent the three summers prior to enrolling at the University of Florida in the Philippines, assisting with his father's orphanage and missionary work.[29]

He is left handed.[30]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tebow

Once upon a time a young man like this would have been revered. Now the liberals are beating him down for his Christianity. What have we become?

Mike said:
Once upon a time a young man like this would have been revered. Now the liberals are beating him down for his Christianity. What have we become?

While defending honor killings etc, that the "Religion of Peace" carries out, go figure.

You have to look at the common aspects of progressivism/liberalism and Islam to figure it out.......

Mike said:

I think they are beating him down because he is "white" if he were a visable minority he would be held up as a great example to his "community".

Yesterday Tim Tebow Tebow passed for 316 yards against the Steelers, completing 10 of 21 pass attempts — meaning he passed for 31.6 yards per completion.

There's more…
Bloomberg reported that the Broncos' win, which snapped a three-game losing streak, came as Tebow ran for one touchdown and passed for two others, including an 80-yarder to Demaryius Thomas that ended the game on the first play from scrimmage of the extra period, eliminating the six-time Super Bowl champion Steelers. The overtime drew a 31.6 television rating.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/01/holy-gridiron-tebow-throws-for-316-yards-averages-31-6-yds-per-pass-and-the-broncos-steelers-ot-scored-a-31-6-television-rating/

:D

hypocritexposer said:
Yesterday Tim Tebow Tebow passed for 316 yards against the Steelers, completing 10 of 21 pass attempts — meaning he passed for 31.6 yards per completion.

There's more…
Bloomberg reported that the Broncos' win, which snapped a three-game losing streak, came as Tebow ran for one touchdown and passed for two others, including an 80-yarder to Demaryius Thomas that ended the game on the first play from scrimmage of the extra period, eliminating the six-time Super Bowl champion Steelers. The overtime drew a 31.6 television rating.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/01/holy-gridiron-tebow-throws-for-316-yards-averages-31-6-yds-per-pass-and-the-broncos-steelers-ot-scored-a-31-6-television-rating/

Ya, but could he play 3 down football? 8)

Just think of the conversions/believers if the Broncos could actually win the Super Bowl..... :???: Would be a mini-miracle :wink:

Silver said:
hypocritexposer said:

There's more…

I am sure it was just a coincidence.. it's not like he threw it to John for the yardage.. 3:16

I think it's great. When I was growing up Roger Staubach was my football hero. It was'nt until I got older and really watched, but Tom Landry became a sport celebrity that I really looke up to and admired. You could always tell if a coach had worked under Landry. If there was a coach on the sidelines wearing a suit coat and tie, chances were he was a Landry protege. He expected a person to be respectable and honest. He did not make excuses nor tolerate thug behavior. If you played for him, you didnt cause trouble or get into bar shootings. He let go players sometimes because they were accused of bad conduct. He just didnt put up with it. I had the opportunity to meet him once and listen to his philosophy on life. Tom Landry was the way he was because he was a Christian and had a close relationship with the God. He was respected by his players, his contemporaries and the fans. When Jerry Jones fired him in the parking lot I lost alot of interest in the game. Nowadays it seems that Jerry Jones and other authority figures in the NFL not only tolerate but condone and maybe even promote thuggish immoral conduct. In their minds controversy and bad headlines seem to bring in as much money as winning.

I dont keep up with football much anymore, but Tim Tebow is sure an interesting guy. If my kid wanted to look up to someone in the NFL, I hope it would be him or someone like him. The libs dont seem to like him and I think it's because he goes against there beliefs. To alot of libs God doesnt seem to matter anymore. Here is a guy, because of his skill on the gridiron, they cant ignore and they have to pay attention to. If he were doing bad Im sure there would be all kinds of snide remarks about his faith and God letting him down. That's not the case though. He does good and gives God credit and try as they might, they cant disparage his skill.

I say good for Tim Tebow. We need more people in the spotlight like him. This is the kind of guy kids need to look up to.

Tex

tumbleweed_texn said:
I think it's great. When I was growing up Roger Staubach was my football hero. It was'nt until I got older and really watched, but Tom Landry became a sport celebrity that I really looke up to and admired. You could always tell if a coach had worked under Landry. If there was a coach on the sidelines wearing a suit coat and tie, chances were he was a Landry protege. He expected a person to be respectable and honest. He did not make excuses nor tolerate thug behavior. If you played for him, you didnt cause trouble or get into bar shootings. He let go players sometimes because they were accused of bad conduct. He just didnt put up with it. I had the opportunity to meet him once and listen to his philosophy on life. Tom Landry was the way he was because he was a Christian and had a close relationship with the God. He was respected by his players, his contemporaries and the fans. When Jerry Jones fired him in the parking lot I lost alot of interest in the game. Nowadays it seems that Jerry Jones and other authority figures in the NFL not only tolerate but condone and maybe even promote thuggish immoral conduct. In their minds controversy and bad headlines seem to bring in as much money as winning.

I dont keep up with football much anymore, but Tim Tebow is sure an interesting guy. If my kid wanted to look up to someone in the NFL, I hope it would be him or someone like him. The libs dont seem to like him and I think it's because he goes against there beliefs. To alot of libs God doesnt seem to matter anymore. Here is a guy, because of his skill on the gridiron, they cant ignore and they have to pay attention to. If he were doing bad Im sure there would be all kinds of snide remarks about his faith and God letting him down. That's not the case though. He does good and gives God credit and try as they might, they cant disparage his skill.

I say good for Tim Tebow. We need more people in the spotlight like him. This is the kind of guy kids need to look up to.

Tex

Tex, obviously Tebow is a conservative, and the Liberals/Dems. have problems with most of his beliefs, but when he spoke out against abortion, that's when the left ramped up their bigotry.

hypocritexposer said:
tumbleweed_texn said:

Tex

Tex, obviously Tebow is a conservative, and the Liberals/Dems. have problems with most of his beliefs, but when he spoke out against abortion, that's when the left ramped up their bigotry.

Yeah, a bunch of big-tenters, that group.

Whitewing said:
hypocritexposer said:
tumbleweed_texn said:

Tex

Yeah, a bunch of big-tenters, that group.

Remind you of anybody else we know?

I remember that. It's ok for them to rant and rave about their beliefs, but they sure dont like it when someone else does. For what it's worth, I have alot of respect for the guy because he has celebrity status and he spreads a positive message. Being young, famous, goodlooking and wealthy are usually recipe for disaster. He is spreading a good message and tries to be a positive rolemodel. I cant understand why people would be against that, but quite a few people are. Even if you took his faith out of the equation, he is still a good influence on kids.

I remember several years ago I was in Tampe for a little while. This was when the Bucaneers were doing great. This man takes his eight yr old son to the mall. Theysaw Warren Sapp there and it just so happened he was this kids hero. The little boy runs up and aske for an autograph. Sapp twisted off and started cussing and raising cane because he didnt want to be bugged and he sure didnt feel like signing anything for a littlw "white" kid. Needless to say the kid started crying. This is the kind of attitude a bunch of those guys have nowadays. I dont see Tebow doing anything like that. And I believe that if Sapp had pulled a stunt like that playing under Tom Landry he would have been hunting a job.

It's disgraceful how some of the people who kids look up to cant even be good citizens.

Tex

I agree about Landry. But I have to ask, is Tebow the only professional player that acknowledges GOD in postgame interviews???? I guess we're not watching the same channels. BTW it wouldn't bother me if the Broncos went all the way.

TSR said:
I agree about Landry. But I have to ask, is Tebow the only professional player that acknowledges GOD in postgame interviews???? I guess we're not watching the same channels. BTW it wouldn't bother me if the Broncos went all the way.

Yep-- they must not have ever watched PRCA rodeo or the PBR...

Guess I missed where everybody said Tebow was the only one.

Please show me where it was said he was the only one. Surely you didn't imagine that.

Latest posts