• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We got around .25 yesterday, no rain gauge up but that is what it takes to make puddles. Another .25 overnight. Very glad to get it, will sure help some things. Didn't get any last saturday. Were in Baker today and it hailed and poured for a little while, got home and it was dry. Still hoping for more.

We got around .25 yesterday, no rain gauge up but that is what it takes to make puddles. Another .25 overnight. Very glad to get it, will sure help some things. Didn't get any last saturday. Were in Baker today and it hailed and poured for a little while, got home and it was dry. Still hoping for more.
You are just parked in the wrong place. That clinic on Saturday I was helping Drew (the guy who had the bear kill a calf). I saw him at church on Sunday he said it rained good on him Saturday. He is not that far from you. My rain gauge was broke. I got a new one up late Sunday. So I don't know how much I got on Saturday. About an hour ago with light rain still falling I was up to 0.6 inch today. The river came up about 5-6 inches so you know that rain fell up stream.

Yeah, it always goes around us.
In the years I spend around Baker county and BC, more than once I have seen downpours on the valley west side and then cross over to the east side and just showers that disappeared completely, 3 Red Diggers down Medical Springs Hwy. 3 Red Diggers on MS Hwy isn't very far hahaha! Seldom rain, but the wind was always blowing at Theif Valley reservoir which was why it was popular back then for windsurfing. The only heavy rain I remember was as I was coming out of Pondosa store and out of nowhere lightning struck and knocked up an explosion of dust so I retreated back in the store a bit shaken and thunder and a downpour hit and lasted about a minute and then a few minutes later the sun was out. I enjoyed an ice cream sandwich as I chatted with some guy known as Cowboy Bill that had a hog farm in the area.

Last edited:
Thunder and lightning and pouring down rain. Spraying weeds has been canceled for today. Once this passes I will go check the rain gauge again.
Happy for you!! Let us know how much you got.
We had a little rain today. I think I'll go bake a pie. 😊I hope there is something more in the rain gauge I can report.

In the years I spend around Baker county and BC, more than once I have seen downpours on the valley west side and then cross over to the east side and just showers that disappeared completely, 3 Red Diggers down Medical Springs Hwy. 3 Red Diggers on MS Hwy isn't very far hahaha! Seldom rain, but the wind was always blowing at Theif Valley reservoir which was why it was popular back then for windsurfing. The only heavy rain I remember was as I was coming out of Pondosa store and out of nowhere lightning struck and knocked up an explosion of dust so I retreated back in the store a bit shaken and thunder and a downpour hit and lasted about a minute and then a few minutes later the sun was out. I enjoyed an ice cream sandwich as I chatted with some guy known as Cowboy Bill that had a hog farm in the area.
That's funny you mention wind surfing. Our leased ground borders the reservoir, and there did used to be alot of windsurfers. One day we saw them fall down and when they got back up they were covered in green slime. Don't see them around anymore. lol We have a neighbor named Bill who used to raise pigs, but don't think anyone ever called him a cowboy.

That's funny you mention wind surfing. Our leased ground borders the reservoir, and there did used to be alot of windsurfers. One day we saw them fall down and when they got back up they were covered in green slime. Don't see them around anymore. lol We have a neighbor named Bill who used to raise pigs, but don't think anyone ever called him a cowboy.
@Nicky The Medical Springs Bill I am thinking about had a big mustache which maybe is the reason I remember him as Cowboy Bill. I may have him confused with another Cowboy Bill that was around Baker county for a few years. I knew the names of many of the Medical Springs folks, but never really knew any of them.

I bet that's him! He's a great guy and neighbor.
If he is naturally funny and a great storyteller and his wife is named Diane, that is him.

Back to the weather. It is warmer today and overcast. I doubt any more rain but who knows. It is a very pleasant morning and my lawn needs sheep as I am sick of mowing it every 3 days. I got crazy with the higher nitrogen blend and had my spreader a bit too open. Besides watering every other day, 3 days of rain really did the trick.

Last edited:
Back to the weather. It is warmer today and overcast. I doubt any more rain but who knows. It is a very pleasant morning and my lawn needs sheep as I am sick of mowing it every 3 days. I got crazy with the higher nitrogen blend and had my spreader a bit too open. Besides watering every other day, 3 days of rain really did the trick.
Our house water comes from a spring. Good water but not enough volume to water the lawn. But the irrigation ditch runs right passed our backyard. The little pump to pump out of the ditch went the way of the buffalo. Replacing it has been a one step forward and two steps back deal. Always one tool short and the shop is 100 yards away. Right now the battery on the cordless went dead so I am on break waiting for it to charge up.

Our house water comes from a spring. Good water but not enough volume to water the lawn. But the irrigation ditch runs right passed our backyard. The little pump to pump out of the ditch went the way of the buffalo. Replacing it has been a one step forward and two steps back deal. Always one tool short and the shop is 100 yards away. Right now the battery on the cordless went dead so I am on break waiting for it to charge up.
I think you planned it that way. 🤣😂🤣

No, I have spent enough time on this project I want it done.
I was joking.

We had a deal here that hung fire for way too long.
We don't have central air conditioning, we have a 'mini split' in the living room. It needs cleaned out at least
once a year. The installer put it up too high on the wall, thinking it was self cleaning. It isn't. He's a good guy
and so he said since he put it too high up on the wall, he would come and clean it free of charge. So we called him
and he said he would drop by. There was no hurry on our part because it has been so cool.
It does need a really tall ladder to reach it. We don't have one but we borrowed one from Mr. FH brother. So it's been here quite awhile. waiting for the installer. Tuesday, Mr. FH said to me on the phone, "I loaned cousin Dave the ladder so he could patch his roof, He got it today."
We were having well problems and the plumber (same guy who installed the mini-split) was coming to see what
was the matter. When I got home I said to Mr. FH "what about the plumber needing the ladder to clean the mini-split?
Oh geez, he never thought of that. He was supposed to call his cousin to let him know we might need to borrow the
ladder back, but he forgot to call.
So luckily, the plumber didn't come that day, but when cousin went by to return the ladder to the brother, he honked as
he went by. WOW. Mr. FH called him quick and said, "don't take it back, bring it here, we need it." So the ladder got returned, the plumber came the next day, checked the well and cleaned the mini-split.
That was a close call because the ladder was going 30 miles south of here...

The rain that fell here has been reclaimed by the heavy gusting west winds so maybe it will fall further east. A good root system is essential in this climate as these winds can dry the sandy loam down a few inches fast and in a hurry. As soon as the winds subside, I will turn on the sprinklers and do a little top watering.

I had another snake encounter while walking the hayfield road. It was about 14" and my shadow hit it before I saw it so it zipped on out in the hayfield. I didn't see the head as I was trying to check the tail. I didn't see any buttons, but the coloring was correct for a desert rattler. Our garden snakes about that size are a light greenish color and the bull snakes are blackish. I don't know of any other snakes colored like a rattler around here. Ever since my neighbor, the ag professor died, I have no knowledgable source other than to go out to the experimental ag station and pester the scientist out there. They have better things to do than talk snakes with an eccentric old lady.

I ask the professor's wife, now 97, and she said, "Honey, I have no idea. I never paid attention when he rattled on with all those species names, related families, and spoke in foreign tongues." She said she had never seen a rattlesnake only the greenish garden snakes. I would have dropped my dentures had I been wearing them. She has lived here all her life and never saw a rattler.

It looks like another high winds day now as dawn approaches. I slept in this morning till 02:40 so I am a little behind schedule. I once got up at 3AM but this last time swap er roo messed me up and now it is 2 AM but I am working on getting back to 3 AM and hope they will honor the voter's wish and leave it be this fall. It never made sense to me to have an extra daylight hour in the evening for the longest days and then take away a daylight hour for the shortest days. All the years I worked and it was getting dark at 4 PM and I still had 4 hours left before I was done, seemed outdoor working person unfriendly to me. The whole mess was designed for the boaters and city folks that liked evening parties.

Here I go rambling on about nothing. May the rains fall where needed and the winds subside. Have a great day all!

Last edited:

Latest posts