• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

My old cabin and barn were burned to the ground (after surviving 4 forest fires) by the wealthy people that bought it as my acreage was added to their existing acreage boasting a half a million-dollar house. That is the rumor I heard and it seems to be confirmed when I saw a satellite image of the area. They bought it for the top rights to the gravity flow year around spring.

About 5 inches of wet snow here. I was without power for about 2 hours yesterday due to a broken main powerline. The trees are still loaded, frozen, and really beautiful. I shoveled my front patio and drive yesterday. No one shovels their street-side sidewalks anymore so my walk to the store today will require donning my YaKTracs.

Last edited:
This morning it is 30 with a nice little breeze. I looked at the 10 day forecast. Today is the last day to get above freezing. Next Wednesday they list the high at 14 and the low at 0. I don't mind when it is in the teens. An occasional single digit is ok. But there is a point when enough is enough. For me 0 is that point. The mosquitoes are gone. The rattle snakes are sleeping. I don't need it to get any colder.

Snow disappearing, 43 degrees F, beautiful red sunrise now overcast. I expect several friends to drop by today for my Christmas beef sausage stew. 6 gallons made which I hope will be enough. It is a friendship no-gift open house.

It was kind of warm out (40). I decided it was a good day to clean out the feed bunks and use the uneaten hay for bedding. There is 6 sections to the feed bunk. I had been only using the first 3. I was debating if I should clean out #4. About then the wind kicked up and it started snowing. The first 3 had covered the floor of the loafing shed. I decided that was enough bedding and #4, 5 could wait 'til next time.

The weather guessers are now saying -7 next week. Winter just started a couple days ago and they are already predicting negative temperatures. The bums.

The weather guessers threw their darts today and hit different numbers. Yesterday they had 3 days below zero. Today their lowest temperature is 5 above. Where do you get a job doing this. I can do at least this good.

Minus 7 here this morning with an 8 mph wind. Feels like -10 with the wind chill.
Billings Mt is minus 9. Wind chill of -27.
No new snow, just blew around what we had yesterday.
I've been checking our weather report faithfully. Never showed any minus temps until this
morning. If anyone else was this wrong, they would lose their jobs.

Minus 7 here this morning with an 8 mph wind. Feels like -10 with the wind chill.
Billings Mt is minus 9. Wind chill of -27.
No new snow, just blew around what we had yesterday.
I've been checking our weather report faithfully. Never showed any minus temps until this
morning. If anyone else was this wrong, they would lose their jobs.
The folks who are too messed up and so wrong all the time they can't even be weather people end up in public office. Most are senators or in the House of Representatives

Ran up on top of a mountain to check a power line feeding a radar site. It's a cold SOB today and wind just won't quit. My wheels for the trip
F1D81142-D946-436F-AC90-BC64C2098E39.jpeg

Looking south toward our ranch. It's on the south slopes of the furthest mountains
6A345EFC-F421-4D4A-B3EC-5EE33505762F.jpeg

Looking west at Nevada. The Deep Creek mountains are pictured and they sit on the state line
3CBE6662-173B-4E63-87FF-CF38A688514B.jpeg

And this shot is north toward Idaho. Visibility isn't good enough to see the Raft River mnts on the state line but they are up there. It's a balmy 13F and I don't know what the wind chill is. I will say it's just about to what I call explicative weather where it's necessary to add a swear word before the temp.
2689D0EB-AEDF-48B2-B803-43AE7D00D332.jpeg

Weather Report from the Rockin Chair Double F Ranch

He said he had found the profound meaning of life
Had he, I wondered, since his life was filled with strife
His second wave of wisdom came before they laid him down to rest
In reflection casket viewing, whether yes or no, he did look his best

Forty years had passed since by a campfire blaze
He found words of wisdom, myself he did amaze
The meaning of life he boasted he had found
Then pulled out a whiskey bottle and swallowed another round

The next day pushing cattle out of fallen and standing timber
I quizzed him on life's meaning, it seems his mind went limber
Life's profound meaning eluded me during the night he said
Well, I mused, I hope you find it before you drop dead

Sitting inside pondering, while outside the snow blows
And temperatures reach down to uncomfortable lows
The meaning of life leaves my mind in confusion
Visualizing my drive clear, is only an illusion.

My hands gloved or no, no longer fit the shovel handle
My legs feel comfortable and refuse to scramble
So like horse manure the snow falls and piles deep
I should call the snow wranglers, but alas I am cheap

Maybe the meaning of life lies under the fallen snow
Perhaps it doesn't, but sitting here, I shall never know

Got 5 new inches of snow yesterday. Then the clouds all fled and the bottom dropped out. High of 19F today and lows will hit -10 or lower. Anyone in Texas or anyplace warm wanna hire a hand for a few months? I can't do much as I'm powerful lazy and have very few marketable skills. But I make a fine counterweight 😁

Latest posts