• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Texan the weather losers are predicting 15-18 inches for here by the end of next week. It'll be hard to open gates if that's true.

This might help, Texan. We have 6-8" of snow and it is currently minus 10 and minus 28 degrees windchill. How did I do?
You did real good until Big Muddy came along - LOL. I knew he would be having a rough day. But that sounds pretty tough, FH. Everybody be safe - that's dangerous stuff.

Texan the weather losers are predicting 15-18 inches for here by the end of next week. It'll be hard to open gates if that's true.
Sounds tough for the gate opener. Tell her to dress warm and wear her tallest rubber boots. And to get her ass out and shut the door as fast as she can, too.

-37c this morning at least it is calm, it's been between -25 and -35 with varying amounts of wind for a week but by Monday it's supposed to improve. The cattle are sure packing away the feed and can't blame them!

-27 here this morning but has warmed up to 2 above. We have 8" of snow. The elk have come down so there are about 200 head right outside the yard. They are hungry. They can get to grass underneath the snow because there is some. There would have been more but it never rained after we hayed it and we didn't have more irrigating water.

These are mostly young ones, very few old cows, some spikes in the bunch. Quite a sight. If I can figure out how, I will post some photos.

-27 here this morning but has warmed up to 2 above. We have 8" of snow. The elk have come down so there are about 200 head right outside the yard. They are hungry. They can get to grass underneath the snow because there is some. There would have been more but it never rained after we hayed it and we didn't have more irrigating water.

These are mostly young ones, very few old cows, some spikes in the bunch. Quite a sight. If I can figure out how, I will post some photos.
When we lived in Fairview Alberta we used to get the same thing with the mule deer. I always threw out a few round bales for them to chew on. Some mornings they were literally bedded right outside the door. They would not even get up when I went out to the barn!
Best to all.

Started raining about 2 am Friday and kept going all day Friday. Saturday it turned to snow when the cold front arrived. Mountain really looks amazing this morning. Coming home from the state wrestling tournament was an adventure as places had 6-8 inches on the road and flakes the size of silver dollars still falling. Sure didn't cuss it even with the long drive home 😁

It's obvious the seasons are changing - finally. I need a light jacket early mornings here - mid-40's lately. S'posed to be back in the upper-80's to low-90's for highs by the end of the week. Pleasant days for finishing up projects for the year compared to the 100+ days, but sure a challenging time to straighten out calves. They don't call it national dead calf month for nothing.

What's it like at your place?
We are at 15 degrees with a wind chill of 1.I'm headed out to morning feed and bust ice for drinks.
Put out a few bales of hay.What a day it's going to be.Don't know how BigMuddy does it where he lives and all the cows he has.Their conditioning must be totally different than our cattle.

My Wife and I spent all day long yesterday adding lights to pressure tanks and putting old blankets over the well and pressure tanks.Tarps on top of that.Bought some tarps at wally world and built a wind break at one place where some heifers have nothing at all to get under or behind.They will be some cold girls the next 48 hours.We just aren't set up for this kind of weather.

On top of all this the electric CO-OP is putting out notices that so much electricity is being used that they can't guarantee there won't be some blackouts.If that happens I'm sunk.Won't have any water for sure for some cows depending on well water.I'm already hauling water in the back seat of my truck in four 5 gal jugs right now to 2 small groups of steers and heifers.

I also put a bull in with herd last year on April 26th.So I'm about a week late on having a bunch of calves.I'm sure those cows will calve during the worst weather.That's how it usually happens.

Looks like a tough morning out. Colder than it's been in 20-25 years, with an even colder night forecast for tonight - likely a record low.

A lot of snow out there, too. Looks to be more snow than we've had in many years, with an even bigger ice storm already forecast for Wednesday.

Warmup forecast by the weekend, but that's a long way off. I know a lot of you guys put up with this every year, but I've had all I want.

My youngest daughters face pretty well sums up my emotions

Attachments

• 980C8118-4C38-4688-B1A7-35BBB85306A0.jpeg
    980C8118-4C38-4688-B1A7-35BBB85306A0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
Red Robin, that's too cold. Minus 15 here when the wind kicked up. Coldest this 8 day stretch has felt. Good for the market, not so much for the producers. To quote Soap, "this too, shall pass." I am ready. It's burning through 90 days of the best stalk grazing I've ever seen, and a fair bit of hay in the last week, by the minute.

Latest posts