• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the word on the Patriot Act?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

let me answer.. I know what happened.. :wave: :wave: :wave:

in the first few days of the new Obama administration the Democrat controlled Congress and Senate restored our Constitutional rights, by repealing all oppressive legislation they had whined about in the campaign,

no.. that wasn't it...

oh I know :wave: :wave: :wave:

the media rooted out all the democrat hypocrites and exposed those who didn't immediately move to restore our rights, and then, in the first few days of the new Obama administration the democratically controlled Congress and Senate restored our Constitutional rights, by repealing all oppressive legislation they had whined about in the campaign,

no.. that wasn't it... gee,... I can't remember how the democrats repealed it, of when it was reported in the media that it was extended..

either way.. it was dealt with as none of the liberals are complaining..

OldChangedHisTune said:
But Montana leads the country (maybe world) on individual privacy and individual rights- the reason our Governor/state is leading the fight against GW's Orwellian plans of "Real ID" and "Mandatory cattle ID-NAIS" along with many other of GW's Constitution eroding plans he is promoting with the use of fearmongering thru his "Patriot" Act...

OT must be really hacked about this Constitution-eroding, fearmongering act that is again being foisted on the American people, not to mention the good citizens of Montana......

:lol:

Whitewing said:
OldChangedHisTune said:
But Montana leads the country (maybe world) on individual privacy and individual rights- the reason our Governor/state is leading the fight against GW's Orwellian plans of "Real ID" and "Mandatory cattle ID-NAIS" along with many other of GW's Constitution eroding plans he is promoting with the use of fearmongering thru his "Patriot" Act...

OT must be really hacked about this Constitution-eroding, fearmongering act that is again being foisted on the American people, not to mention the good citizens of Montana......

Whitewing-- again you lay out your ignorance of what I have said- and who I have supported...
I have forever opposed the "Real ID Act" and the "Mandatory cattle ID- NAIS" that GW- and the corporate lobbyiest ID folks continue to try and shove down our throats-- along with the "Patriot Act"....

I also supported a Senator (Jon Tester) and Governor (Brian Schweitzer) that have both opposed all three....And worked against these constitution infringing acts.....

Since you have all the free time to make posts singling out me-- go back thru the archives of my posts- on both PB and BS and check it out...Then after you apologize for your BS post--- look up how much folks like FH and some of the other Montanans opposed and fought against these folks that "really" look at the Constitution- and didn't just buy into what GW and their "cult" handlers tell them... :wink:

Tester pledges 'no' vote on extending controversial Patriot Act
Senator: 'When we give up our rights, we give way to exactly what terrorists want for us'

Monday, May 23, 2011

(U.S. SENATE) – Senator Jon Tester today announced that he will vote against a 4-year extension of the controversial Patriot Act, which he said "tramples on our constitutional rights."

Tester, a longtime opponent of the Patriot Act, spoke against the law in a speech on the Senate floor. Tester said the law "invades the privacy of law-abiding Montanans and law-abiding Americans."

"Long before I ever got to the Senate, the Patriot Act was sold to us as a toolbox of sorts—to give U.S. agents the tools they need to find, fight and kill terrorists," Tester told his colleagues. "But what we got from the Patriot Act was a law that is killing the rights guaranteed by our Constitution."

"When we give up our rights, we give way to exactly what terrorists want for us: fewer freedoms and invasion of privacy," Tester added.

Tester noted that Senators may not be permitted to offer amendments on the Patriot Act extension, which he called "a shame."

Tester also praised U.S. troops and intelligence agents, saying they are better trained, smarter and stronger than any other force in the world.

"And they do what they do without needing to snoop around in the private lives of law-abiding Americans and Montanans," Tester said. "Without having to dig up your medical records, or your gun records, or your library records, or your internet records."

Tester is an outspoken advocate for privacy rights who has consistently opposed the Patriot Act and the federal REAL ID program. He voted against a 3-month extension of the controversial law earlier this year.

Congressional Leaders Reach Agreement On Patriot Act Extension
By AP on May 19th, 2011

WASHINGTON — Top congressional leaders agreed Thursday to a four-year extension of the anti-terrorist Patriot Act, the controversial law passed after the Sept. 11 attacks that governs the search for terrorists on American soil.

The deal between Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker John Boehner calls for a vote before May 27, when parts of the current act expire. The idea is to pass the extension with as little debate as possible to avoid a protracted and familiar argument over the expanded power the law gives to the government.

Support for the extension was unclear. Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., wanted tighter restrictions on the government's power and may seek to amend it. In the House, members of the freshman class elected on promises of making government smaller were skeptical.

"I still have some concerns, and at this point I'm leaning against (voting for) it," said one, Rep. Andy Harris, R-Md.

The legislation would extend three expiring provisions until June 1, 2015, officials said.

The provisions at issue allow the government to use roving wiretaps on multiple electronic devices and across multiple carriers and get court-approved access to business records relevant to terrorist investigations. The third, a "lone wolf" provision that was part of a 2004 law, permits secret intelligence surveillance of non-U.S. individuals without having to show a connection between the target and a specific terrorist group.

From its inception, the law's increased surveillance powers have been criticized by liberals and conservatives alike as infringements on free speech rights and protections against unwarranted searches and seizures.

Some Patriot Act opponents suggest that Osama bin Laden's demise earlier this month should prompt Congress to reconsider the law, written when the terrorist leader was at the peak of his power. But the act's supporters warn that al-Qaida splinter groups, scattered from Pakistan to the United States and beyond, may try to retaliate.

"Now more than ever, we need access to the crucial authorities in the Patriot Act," Attorney General Eric Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee.

It passed the Senate a few hours ago and it is headed to the House. It is expected to pass and will be sent to Obama for signing before it expires tomorrow.

I don't see why that should be any worry of GW's now- for the last 8 years besides an open door policy, he's all but laid out the welcome mat...

Real ID is a costly unfunded mandate to the states- that will cost even the small states $millions of dollars for the equipment/personell/training to switch over to it -- and that will allow Big Brother to keep a record/database of every where you travel- the places you use your ID for purchasing items with a credit card or check - every bank account you have- every time you access a Federal building or have contact with government, and a running tab on your life...

But like everything else this neocon President has done-money is no object to him as he spends this country into bankruptcy
NAIS is the same thing- a huge costly program that if some states had learned how to brand cattle instead of people would be unnecessary!!

And when the Federal Government can't keep the Veterans records, USDA Farm records, Pentagon computers secure- you think they will be able to keep these database's secure....
Sorry just had to share....

Oldtimer said:
Whitewing said:
OldChangedHisTune said:

Whitewing-- again you lay out your ignorance of what I have said- and who I have supported...
I have forever opposed the "Real ID Act" and the "Mandatory cattle ID- NAIS" that GW- and the corporate lobbyiest ID folks continue to try and shove down our throats-- along with the "Patriot Act"....

I also supported a Senator (Jon Tester) and Governor (Brian Schweitzer) that have both opposed all three....And worked against these constitution infringing acts.....

Since you have all the free time to make posts singling out me-- go back thru the archives of my posts- on both PB and BS and check it out...Then after you apologize for your BS post--- look up how much folks like FH and some of the other Montanans opposed and fought against these folks that "really" look at the Constitution- and didn't just buy into what GW and their "cult" handlers tell them... :wink:

Tester pledges 'no' vote on extending controversial Patriot Act
Senator: 'When we give up our rights, we give way to exactly what terrorists want for us'

Monday, May 23, 2011

(U.S. SENATE) – Senator Jon Tester today announced that he will vote against a 4-year extension of the controversial Patriot Act, which he said "tramples on our constitutional rights."

Tester, a longtime opponent of the Patriot Act, spoke against the law in a speech on the Senate floor. Tester said the law "invades the privacy of law-abiding Montanans and law-abiding Americans."

"Long before I ever got to the Senate, the Patriot Act was sold to us as a toolbox of sorts—to give U.S. agents the tools they need to find, fight and kill terrorists," Tester told his colleagues. "But what we got from the Patriot Act was a law that is killing the rights guaranteed by our Constitution."

"When we give up our rights, we give way to exactly what terrorists want for us: fewer freedoms and invasion of privacy," Tester added.

Tester noted that Senators may not be permitted to offer amendments on the Patriot Act extension, which he called "a shame."

Tester also praised U.S. troops and intelligence agents, saying they are better trained, smarter and stronger than any other force in the world.

"And they do what they do without needing to snoop around in the private lives of law-abiding Americans and Montanans," Tester said. "Without having to dig up your medical records, or your gun records, or your library records, or your internet records."

Tester is an outspoken advocate for privacy rights who has consistently opposed the Patriot Act and the federal REAL ID program. He voted against a 3-month extension of the controversial law earlier this year.

You're even more like Shamu than I thought OT. That one zoomed right over your poor little alcohol-soaked headbone, didn't it.

Here, I'll ask it more clearly.

I assume you'll be very upset with He Who Walks on Water when he signs legislation keeping the Patriot Act in force, right.

And apologize? For what? For pointing out that you wear Obama knee pads? :D

But like everything else this neocon President has done-money is no object to him as he spends this country into bankruptcy

Can I guess which buffoon said that?

Oh, and try to keep up MsSage. Neocon Bush was bankrupting the country, Obama is merely trying to save us.....it'll take a least 10 years. :lol:

Heard our PM is in speaking to the G8 this week reminding them of their promise to reduce their deficits by 50% by 2013. Probably even giving them some ideas how (cut corporate taxes and spending)

Ours is budgeted to be zero by 2013-14.

How's obama doing on his promise to the rest of the G8? \

But who would want to listen to Canada........

Whitewing said:
You're even more like Shamu than I thought OT. That one zoomed right over your poor little alcohol-soaked headbone, didn't it.

I assume you'll be very upset with He Who Walks on Water when he signs legislation keeping the Patriot Act in force, right.

You owe me a new monitor for that Obama knee pad remark, WW! :clap: :lol2:

oldtimer wrote
Since you have all the free time to make posts singling out me-- go back thru the archives of my posts- on both PB and BS and check it out...Then after you apologize for your BS post---

why should WW apoligize for anything!!!!

You wont aplogize for all the lies you tell, the accuastions that you make that are not true, and the statements you make that cannot be verified!

Oldtimer said:
Since you have all the free time to make posts singling out me-- go back thru the archives of my posts- on both PB and BS and check it out...Then after you apologize for your BS post---

What a crock, you have called me on posts I had nothing to do with. You are the one who picks on people.
The one post you haven't apologized for is claiming the afterbirthers remark and then cut and run like the LIAR you are
We've had enough of your LIES

loomixguy said:
Whitewing said:

You owe me a new monitor for that Obama knee pad remark, WW! :clap: :lol2:

He's even got them named, Hope & Change. :D

I really try to stay out of this name calling stuff but I thought the afterbirthers name was a pretty good name and needs no apology.

As for the Patriot Act, why in the world do we always name a bill exactly opposite of what it actually does?

There should be oversight on this act more than any other but a majority of Congress has said no to this. To me they are acting more like Rome's desperate legislature when crisis hit that republic.

There is nothing about the Patriot Act that would make one a patriot. It gives closer to absolute power to particular people in our government with less oversight. The first Bush warrantless wiretapping was a whitewash to what the government was already doing and so was their ex post facto release of liability to the phone companies.

Neither of these things are in an honest and just government's interests but allows some of the worst abuses of power our nation has seen to occur--- "legally". Oversight is the cornerstone of our government with its three branches and this act tramples all over that basic theory of our democracy.

I am not against watching terrorists but who is going to watch those who are supposed to be watching the terrorists? There is way too much concentration of power here with no oversight.

It never ceases to amaze me what those in power continually will excuse in their own behavior when they are in power. These are the acts of opportunists and incompetents, not patriots.

Not only do we have the best Congress money can buy, but it buys them cheap while they are willing to whore out the basic foundations of accountability that our nation was built on.

It just makes you sick.

Tex

Understand your points Tex about the Patriot Act.....but that wasn't the point of this thread.

When Bush was president and pushed for passage of the Patriot Act, he was accused of acting like a king and all sorts of other nasty stuff. I recall one poster here constantly using the bolded word CHANGE every time he talked about how it was time to get rid of Bush and bring in some fresh air. He even called the pub opposition candidate McSame because he was going to be just another Bush.

Now that the candidate of Hope & Change, the one who campaigned against the Patriot Act and dozens of other of those nasty King George practices, has taken office and uses the same laws, the same practices, but tells us they're now somehow different, the voices of those who whined about King George suddenly fallen silent.

I find that amusing and hypocritical.

If I were a cynic, which I'm not......................

It wasn't the afterbirthers comment that was upsetting it was the lies he told while using it.
How do we know there were lies??
Past experences with him have shown us that he is less than TRUTHFUL even when confronted with evidence that shows otherwise.

The term afterbirthers has been around for a couple of yrs, so it is not new!

Tex said:
I really try to stay out of this name calling stuff but I thought the afterbirthers name was a pretty good name and needs no apology.

It wasn't what he said, he claimed other peop0le on other websites were talking about the posters from RN.

Latest posts