• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Whats wrong with this picture???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Spanish Johhny

Reaction score
where the deer and the antelope play AB CA
We were in Costco the other day, (only bearable because Princess Auto is Right next door!) and always go to the meat case and watch what people are putting into their carts. I saw this. Does anyone else find this odd?

http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/lklcows/media/Costso_zpshwwffuvv.jpg.html

(can someone bail me out here? can't seem to post anything except the address)

Is that a USDA label? If so, send the photo to USDA and ask for an explanation of the codes. It sure does look like out of date product, tho. Yet it looks great! Even if it had been frozen, it sure would have had freezer burn in my best freezer. I've heard 'cold storage' holds meat in good shape for a long time.......but isn't that first date '08????

mrj

Never tried Wagyu steak before, it looks tasty. I'm surprised it is mechanically tenderized though.

Packaged on October 8, 2015. Sell by October 11, 2015. Thing that surprises me is the 'turn steak over more than twice during cooking'. I thought once was it and anything more was a sin. And, what Silver said 'mechanically tenderized'. I believed Wagyu was naturally fork tender. Mostly, I would not pay $64.95 for two steaks. 145 degrees internal temp is past med rare which is too done for that steak. Whew....anything else? :wink:

Ya Silver................mechanically tenderized? really?? I understand Wagyu is a couple of notches higher on the tenderness scale from AAAA and / or Prime. Please tell me someone didn't subject this beef to this unnecessary, unappealing sounding process. If it was, what kind of a perception is being formed by this kind of honesty on the labelling? The rest of the story......I was actually at the same Costco beef counter a week before and saw this on all the packages of AAAA Strip loins but was surprised to see this the following week to see this, which makes me think all labels on all beef in a particular run, (maybe not, the brisket didn't have this labeling?!?1!) got labelled the same way.
******END OF RANT*****
Anyway, I'm going to go eat turkey, happy Thanksgiving all!

Gotta admit, I read the dates wrong and thought it had been frozen a long time. Could it be from an old cow or bull to need to be tenderized? That just doesn't fit for a carcass of traditional processing age, does it? I wondered what sort of price Wagu would have on it in the supermarket. Now I know.......so much for useful information!

mrj

Latest posts