• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wheel Rake

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rancher3!

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a rake, have looked at a few different brands. Some seem to be heavier built than others. What brands have people used, any a guy should stay away from? Any imput would be helpful.

I had a 10 wheel Vermeer Rebel but it wouldn't work right in the hills of TN I had to get off the tractor to help it spread so it would place the wheels on the ground-very annoying. I traded it for a 10 wheel Kuhn Speedrake and couldn't be happier. The kuhn on "most hay rakes as clean as a bar rake, pulls down the road so easy and when raised can run right over raked hay without disturbing it. A great rake imo

Had heard that about sovema, what have you had problems with. The ones i have seen seem to have trouble where the sections bolt together. Anybody tried a tunatti. seem to be a decent unit.

I have the Vermeer wheel rake - WR Series, and it's worked well for the last 3 years.

Rancher3! said:
Had heard that about sovema, what have you had problems with. The ones i have seen seem to have trouble where the sections bolt together. Anybody tried a tunatti. seem to be a decent unit.

i wouldn't buy a tunatti. neighbor has one, he is welding on that thing all the time.

We run a tunatti V14 and it is going down the road. Bought it used and it seems to need a weld job every other time I use it. Does a decent job in light or medium swaths but starts skipping & bunching in heavy spots. Would like a Jiffy hi-capacity 12 wheel with a goose neck type hitch. Have seen them merging heavy alfalfa swaths & they were handling it well. Seems like any of the heavy duty rakes are pretty pricey!

Rowse's in Nebraska make some awful good rakes. They are made pretty stout....maybe too stout for some people. Not sure what size you are looking for, but they have them in raking widths up to 50 feet. There are two types, one that pivots at the back and one they call "The Ultimate" that pivots in the middle. The big advantage to the Ultimate is cornering and turning around at the end of the field. Check out their website at: www.rowserakes.com

Rancher3! said:

Right now I need to rebuild where the pin attaches the wing to the main frame. Mine was all rewelded before i got it. I guess the robotic welder was off a bit.
I thought I had trouble with the cylinder but it had flow reducer on the hose that would close off on it's own and I didn't realize it. :oops:

It does a fair job but I think there is better rakes out there. :D

The Rowse rakes are the stuff... If you weren't shopping for a baler pricewise, I would surely suggest an H&S wheel rake, they'll eat big windrows.. If you are cutting average hay, or slightly better, I'd look at a Vermeer "twin-rake", also sold in JD Green; but only while haying alfala.
I have read some brands I've not heard of on this thread, and I'll bet they'll rake hay. The condition of the machine will probably reflect the skill of the operater, as will the windrow.

I aint ever had any luck with wheel rakes and cane type grasses,tho they work good on the fine stem stuff like the bermudas,I would stick with the New holland roll bar rakes.
good luck

H&S has a new style that has a lot bigger wheel and the teeth are a lot heavier. it is a VERY good rake.

HAY MAKER said:
I aint ever had any luck with wheel rakes and cane type grasses,tho they work good on the fine stem stuff like the bermudas,I would stick with the New holland roll bar rakes.
good luck

Yep, the can type grasses are even hard for a roll bar rake. With a wheel rake make sure you try to start at the stem end or opposite the way you cut the stuff, at least that has been my experience, with Johnson grass. The thing about wheel rakes is they are so much faster than the bar rakes provided the hay is suitable.

Have looked at few brands around town, seems the sitrex (New Holland)
is heavier than the sovema or the tunatti. Called about a Jiffy rake but haven't heard back. Apparatly they are very heavy as well anybody tried one of these?

As most of our ground is rough and rocky we are limited to raking one windrow at a time to make sure it is on ground that won't destroy the baler pickup. We put two to three rows together depending on the crop. The best rakes we have used as far as speed, clean fields, and being able to move heavy, wet windrows are the Fella rotary rakes. They do make them up to 40 ft wide if you can use that size but the are pricey.

I don't know who makes the MF rakes but I saw one advertised in the paper.
Paid $7,500 used one day, will take $5,500. :shock:

I think that was a 12 or 14 wheel V rake.

I called the guy with the one in the paper, it was a carted rake that the wings fold up on. A few nieghbors have had them and in heavy going they will plug up. Where else can a guy look for a used rake at?

Latest posts