• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

When to sell around holidays

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cracker hand

Reaction score
I have a question perhaps you can answer regarding when to sell calves. We are a small cow/calf operation with around 60-70 head of momma cows on the place at any given time. We can sell the calves at any time. My quesion is, has anyone determined if it is better to sell prior to a big grilling holiday like Memorial Day or the 4th or is it better to sell after to resupply the shelves? Which is likely to bring more money?

I have heard it both ways but was wondering if anyone on here had any input.

Weaned calf prices are historically higher in the Spring than other times in the Southeast. Mainly because Western & Mid-Western calves go to market in the Fall.

Since it takes several months to feed/fatten a weaned calf, the selling just before a Holiday strategy should have no bearing on price.

My experience when I lived down in South Florida was that no matter when you sell, you'll walk away from the sale barn feeling like you got raped.

Particularly the Arcadia and Okochobee sale barns, to be specific.

bart.

It seems like hamburger cows, bulls, it generally gets softer after july 4th.

On other classes and holidays---I think they do have an effect, but it's more about can truckers be home for them, do feeders want to receive them before/during or wait till after, etc.

Trying to get services in Canadian oilpatch---if you can't be done by first or very latest--second week of dec---might as well bag it till after new yrs---people are again focused, got bills to pay, etc---Seems like if a guy's got feeder calves that long, early jan is almost always good---

Bart, We are farther north and sell calves to Conaway Livestock in DeLeon Springs and cows at the Ocala market.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference if you sell before or after a holiday but I thought I would ask.

We have never sold anything in Arcadia or Okeechobee. The gas bill would eat up any profits!

Fuel cost is the reason we never hauled them from Naples up to Ocala. If you look at the pricing, Northern florida pays a lot better, but the fuel will negate that right quick.

As was posted earlier, prices do seem to always be up for grass fever in the spring.

bart.

Latest posts