• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Who's responsible?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DejaVu

Reaction score
This morning, a local young kid with a fledgling fence building company, arrived at his job site to find most of his equipment was stolen overnight. This was a contract job on private property nearly in the property owners back yard . $14,000 loss. The owner who hired the kid isn't offering any sort of financial assistance or help through his farm liability policy. What's right in this situation?

I don't think the landowner is liable to cover any of that. It's a crappy deal and I hope it works out for the guy. Getting worse here all the time.

There's no more to the story that what I gave. Security camera at a local bar got pictures of a '92-94 tan ford 1/2 ton pickup pulling a single axle trailer with all the stuff loaded on the trailer. Pictures have been turned over to local authorities. I felt the guy who was having the work done was not responsible for the theft but seemed to me like-out of kindness-could possibly file a claim on his insurance. It's what I would do.

What could fit on a single axle trailer that would cost $14,000.00?

I think I agree with you and file a claim on my insurance. But they may not pay unless you say you're renting the stuff. Then that would be a lie. Hard deal....................

There was an 84" bucket for a John Deere skid loader. A 12" and 18" auger along with the hydraulic planetary drive, a hydraulic post driver, a hydraulic post tamper, a 5' extension for the two augers along with some miscellaneous tools. Maybe more.

I didn't put the value on the stuff Denny. Just know it happened close to me and made me wonder about who could/would/should help each other. Shortgrass-exactly, the law should hold him accountable but a lawyer will probably get him off with a slap on the wrist. Seems like bad stuff keeps getting closer and closer. Probably a sign that insurance policy's need to be reviewed.

Damn shame a person has to work all day to accumulate something, then stay up all night to make sure it's not stolen...........

DejaVu said:
I didn't put the value on the stuff Denny. Just know it happened close to me and made me wonder about who could/would/should help each other. Shortgrass-exactly, the law should hold him accountable but a lawyer will probably get him off with a slap on the wrist. Seems like bad stuff keeps getting closer and closer. Probably a sign that insurance policy's need to be reviewed.

Did they find any of it. If I were the kid I'd find out who insurers the land owner and go ask if it is possible at the insurance agency here 90% of people are covered by the same agent so chances are it won't be to hard to find the landowners agent.I myself don't see why he wouldn't turn it in it's no sweat off his balls. And yes the thief should be held accountable but if you can't find him you can't charge him. Wish the young fellow luck.

An outside security camera at a local bar caught the thief on camera-both coming and going about 3am. It showed the trailer loaded with the attachments. About 1am this morning, the same vehicle was stopped in another county because the license plate didn't match. Local law knew about the theft and the driver was taken in for questioning. He admitted and told where everything could be found. All items were found at a construction company, hidden from sight. Deputies went to the site this morning and photographed everything. The fencing company was required to prove ownership and then had to go to a local implement dealer for assistance to load. The owner of the construction company would not help with the loading. It's believed he was in on the theft. If it hadn't been for the security cameras, this wouldn't have ended so quickly or so well. Also, it isn't the first theft for the kid who was driving the pickup. BUT, he was given a reduced sentence last year and turned loose. Owner of the construction company claims innocence. The thief made bail and is back out.

That reeks of the construction company owner being guilty of "Receiving Stolen Property" which most times carries the same sentence as the actual theft.

I had a truck stolen last may. Since then the same kid has stolen 4 more and is out free. Tell me our system isn't flawed...

4Diamond said:
I had a truck stolen last may. Since then the same kid has stolen 4 more and is out free. Tell me our system isn't flawed...

Sounds like some vigilante justice needs to be served.

Should be, but people like you and me have everything to loose and those lowlifes have nothing. Plain and simple

This evening I talked to the kid who had the stuff stolen and asked if phone records could be looked at for a connection between the construction guy and the thief. His exact words were " the deputy said there are so many laws in place protecting criminals phones, it's a nightmare. Unless the person hands it to them, unlocked and says Have at It, they have to get a search warrant and allow the perp to walk them through it. "

The fencer needs to weld his name on skidsteer buckets, etc. Anything he can customize to make it less attractive to boost. Wild paint schemes, company logos all over stuff...and then take pictures of it.

Glad it all got recovered. Nothing worse than a thief. From the insurance side, the only way the kid could have recovered any compensation for the stolen equipment, is if he had it covered on a physical damage policy of his own.

Latest posts