• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

why aren't we drilling our way out of this recession?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

why aren't we drilling our way out of this recession?

after reading shampooie's response it is clear why we are not solving our own problems.. because clueless people are unwilling to think for them selves and rely on a video for information.. instead of facts..

I could try to explain how methane is produced naturally in hundreds of way in excessive amounts far worse then captured drilling methods,

and fifty percent of the natural releases could be eliminated,

but I doubt any liberal is willing to fill in all the wetlands they so coveted and worked so hard to save..

but they fact is we need energy.. we need jobs, and we need revenue..

and right now all are readily available... and the only ones stopping US from getting it is shampooie types pressuring the Obama types..

redrobin said:
Who said "drill baby drill" ? I can't remember.

a crazy lady from Alaska.. ?

it was amazing how she was demonized for having a view.

but nope.. she didn't say it first..

"Drill, Baby, Drill!" was a 2008 Republican campaign slogan first used at the 2008 Republican National Convention[1] by former Maryland Lieutenant Governor Michael Steele, who was later elected Chairman of the Republican National Committee.[2] The slogan expressed support for increased drilling for petroleum as a source of additional energy.

Vice Presidential debate

On October 2, 2008, at the vice-presidential debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden, "drill, baby, drill" reached a new prominence. Joe Biden, referring to the energy crisis and McCain's 20 votes against funding solar and wind energy, stated that McCain thinks "the only answer is drill, drill, drill. Drill we must, but it will take 10 years for one drop of oil to come out of any of the wells that are going to be drilled." Palin responded by saying, "The chant is 'drill, baby, drill.' And that's what we hear all across this country in our rallies because people are so hungry for those domestic sources of energy to be tapped into."

it was a good idea then, and an even better idea now..

drill-baby-drill-politics-congress-obama-president-taxes-dem-demotivational-poster-1233811468.gif

Steve I would suggest you take this up with the oil companies that own the leases. I may be mistaken about this but I think that the Government warned the oil companies to drill the off shore lease or lose them. Oil companies do not want more oil production because they would have to produce more and sell more gas at lower price to create the cash flow they are used to. It is total economics for the oil companies. Also the more we conserve the higher the gas prices will be for the same reason.The oil companies are setting on leases in the Balkan formation along the Canada boarder and not drilling because it would put to much product on the market. $5.00 a gallon gas would get the drilling started in a heart beat.

alaska-npra-anwr-map-photo.jpg

The National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska (NPRA) is a piece of land owned by the United States federal government located west of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). While it gets less press than ANWR, it is another target of the "drill baby drill!" crowd. The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) has just released a revised estimate on the amount of "undiscovered" oil and gas that is likely to be found in the area,

The new assessment also indicates 8 trillion cubic feet less gas than the 2002 USGS estimate of 61 trillion cubic feet of undiscovered, conventional, non-associated gas.

NPRA contained approximately "896 million barrels of conventional, undiscovered oil"

it's ok,. even though it is called the "National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska" we can't drill there either.. :shock:

BTW,.. it used to have a higher estimate..
the USGS estimated there was 10.6 billion barrels of oil. The new estimate, roughly 10 percent of the 2002 estimate,

but as drilling pressure increased they decided to have a study and revised it downward..

hurleyjd said:
Steve I would suggest you take this up with the oil companies that own the leases. I may be mistaken about this but I think that the Government warned the oil companies to drill the off shore lease or lose them. Oil companies do not want more oil production because they would have to produce more and sell more gas at lower price to create the cash flow they are used to. It is total economics for the oil companies. Also the more we conserve the higher the gas prices will be for the same reason.The oil companies are setting on leases in the Balkan formation along the Canada boarder and not drilling because it would put to much product on the market. $5.00 a gallon gas would get the drilling started in a heart beat.

from what I know oil leases are a two step process, exploration and extraction.

both processes need permits.

for example, in New Jersey you can drill an exploration well, if you can get the permit, it is tough but the oil companies have funded a few,

once the well is considered viable, you have to cap it.. and then cement it. and there is no process for getting an extraction permit.

right now there is a huge battle going on over the issue in eastern Pa...
they have drug out the rules process for a generation.. and have a deadline for rules writing,.. again..

so in a way you might be right, about oil companies dragging their feet... often they spend millions in exploration and then a new or revised rule stops them from drilling.. The shell Alaska EPA air permit denial I already posted in this thread is an example of that.

I agree with the use it or lose it rules, but we should be prepared to allow oil corporations to drill if they bid a lease. not hinder them as this administration has done..

lightninboy said:
I guess we basically could drill our way out of this recession and be isolationist but the New World Order won't let us.

who said anything about isolationism?

Oil is fungible,.. oil from our country goes on the world market, and we are a large customer.. I doubt we could ever get fully energy independent.

Steve said:
who said anything about isolationism?

Oil is fungible,.. oil from our country goes on the world market, and we are a large customer.. I doubt we could ever get fully energy independent.
Why couldn't we be energy independent and mostly isolationist????

The answer is the New World Order.

hurleyjd said:
The oil companies are setting on leases in the Balkan formation along the Canada boarder and not drilling

is it because they do not want to drill or there is not enough rigs to drill with?

Baker Hughes has issued the rotary rig counts as a service to the petroleum industry since 1944, when Hughes Tool Company began weekly counts of U.S. and Canadian drilling activity. Hughes initiated the monthly international rig count in 1975.

The Baker Hughes Rig Counts are an important business barometer for the drilling industry and its suppliers. When drilling rigs are active they consume products and services produced by the oil service industry. The active rig count acts as a leading indicator of demand for products used in drilling, completing, producing and processing hydrocarbons.

To be counted as active a rig must be on location and be drilling or 'turning to the right'. A rig is considered active from the moment the well is "spudded" until it reaches target depth or "TD". Rigs that are in transit from one location to another, rigging up or being used in non-drilling activities such as workovers, completions or production testing, are NOT counted as active.

offshore rigs fleet utilization rate is 78.3 percent, with Additional newbuild rig deliveries this week have resulted in a new supply count of 807 mobile offshore drilling units.

While a backlog of drilling permits in Washington continues to feed oil industry angst, new data shows that more rigs are in the Gulf of Mexico than before the BP oil spill, indicating that operators might have more confidence in the future than they are letting on.

offshore there is an increase of 41 drilling rigs this year, (19.5%)
so if no rigs were added only 2.2% would be idle/in transit or not drilling... sees to me Oil corporations are demanding more rigs and utilizing them as they come into production.. (ironically there are more rigs drilling the gulf of Mexico then last year) and we have the most idle rigs awaiting permission to drill as well.. so that has to be costing them a few bucks...

now what about on shore...
Since 1940 the highest weekly US rig count was 4,530 recorded on December 28, 1981

U.S. 29 July 11 1908 +322

Year-over-year oil exploration in the U.S. is up 70.0 percent.

According to the latest Baker Hughes rig count March 11, oil-directed rigs broke another record this past week, with more of them working in the US than at any time in the previous nearly 24 years.

in recent months both the oil rig count and the percentage they comprise of total rigs has been climbing quickly, steadily breaking records.

as I was writing this trying to find how many rigs are considered idle/transit..

US rig count up by 12

The combined number of rigs drilling for oil and gas this week rose by 12 to 1920.

Oklahoma gained nine rigs this week, the most of any state, with its total rising to 186.

Other states adding rigs included North Dakota, which gained five for a total of 161, and Texas, which gained four for a total of 866.

New Mexico added two and Pennsylvania and California one each, for a total of 84, 114 and 46, respectively.

Louisiana and Wyoming each lost three rigs, dropping to a total of 175 and 46, respectively.

Arkansas, Colorado and West Virginia each lost a rig, leaving totals of 31, 67 and 20.

Alaska's count remained flat at six.

Oil rig drilling in the US is climbing into the stratosphere while hitting another new high, while horizontal drilling for both oil and natural gas has become not only the preferred drilling direction but broke usage records last week, according to the venerable Baker Hughes rig count.

I'll keep looking but it appears that about 60% of the rigs available are in use and while the demand is for horizontal rigs it might explain why some rigs are idle when there is a huge demand for rigs.

Everything is horizontal around us right now. And there is a well staked in all sections bordering us or a horizontal well has just been drilled.

Steve said:
Duh. If we used our oil we are putting on the world market....

The Tyler newspaper that we get each Sunday has the wells that are permitted and completed. This morning there were over a 100. These were all over Texas. Some gas and some oil. So the drilling is going own as we speak may be that the economy will turn around soon.

The wells around us are primarily gas, and it was my understanding that alot in the north were as well (I can't say this for sure).

Gas wells won't make as big of a dent in the economy as oil. These regulations on the oil preserves needs to be addressed. Then you would be more likely to see a dent made.

okfarmer said:
The wells around us are primarily gas, and it was my understanding that alot in the north were as well (I can't say this for sure).

Gas wells won't make as big of a dent in the economy as oil. These regulations on the oil preserves needs to be addressed. Then you would be more likely to see a dent made.

drilling gas helps as a portion of our high demand electricity generation is ran off gas. allowing diesel and gas turbine generators to be converted or sit idle. (saving oil)

an abundance of affordable gas has lead many to convert from oil heat to natural gas.. (saving oil)

we need alternatives to oil.. to lessen the burden and to allow US to convert our society to other more abundant sources.

so while gas may not make as big of a dent, gas sure can soften the demand for oil..

shaumei said:
Fracking will destroy water supplies...for generations...so, if you feel good about doing that to future generations, get after it...i do not feel good about it...especially when free energy exists...but is stopped by corrupt governments...
I got my information from Texe Marrs and he says the NWO argues against fracking to keep us getting oil from the Middle East so we will be over there to fight for Israel.

Steve said:
okfarmer said:

drilling gas helps as a portion of our high demand electricity generation is ran off gas. allowing diesel and gas turbine generators to be converted or sit idle. (saving oil)

an abundance of affordable gas has lead many to convert from oil heat to natural gas.. (saving oil)

we need alternatives to oil.. to lessen the burden and to allow US to convert our society to other more abundant sources.

so while gas may not make as big of a dent, gas sure can soften the demand for oil..

Infrastructural changes take time, I was speaking for right now.

I think here's where I heard it:

Secrets (Volume 178)
Friday, June 3, 2011
Texe Marrs examines things the controlled media dare not report: 3) Huge new oil field find in Texas proves once again that America has no shortage of oil;

http://www.texemarrs.com/popcast.htm

Texe Marrs says there's enough oil in the U.S.A. to make every citizen a millionaire if it was divided up.

Latest posts