• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Why the downward slide?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
I don't know all the ins and outs of what all has been brought up here, but I do know one thing. The Beef Check-off has helped.
I worked on helping to get it implemented many years ago. At that time, all the women's magazines BASHED beef. They targeted the housewife with this mistaken information. They could do that because there was no loss of revenue. After the Check-off and the Beef Council started running ads in Women's magazines, the beef bashing STOPPED because there was revenue at stake. I wish that isn't how it was, but that is the truth. I remember them running articles on Hollywood actors that wouldn't eat beef and how bad it was for you. That ceased...so whether you want to admit it or not the Check-off has not been a waste of your $1/head. At that time, it was said, if we don't care to raise awareness of beef, who does????

I was actually told by the Brand Inspector the checkoff was optional for me on the beef I was slaughtering for my own sale. I opt in for several reasons. I was in college as the program was implemented. I saw the job prospects before and after. I support the checkoff.

I also feel that a strong commodity beef market ads support to my private label.

MRJ,

Thanks for the kind words posted above.

While it is true that I have Portland and Seattle as draws, I do travel a log ways for processing. The reality is I deal with smaller processors. Each is limited and each has a specialty. I wanted a "One Stop" processor. What I found is each has it's unique niche. In asking one to do what another does, I am asking them to invest tens of thousands in equipment for my small volume. I found I could cherry pick each for their advantages. I currently use 2 kill, 3 cut and 3 sausage processors. They are 2-5 hours from me. I've found ways to make it work.

As far as flavor at retail, in the Northwest, most of it is potato finished and has a very watery lack of flavor. My customers that moved from Michigan made that point to me. Also, lucky for us that palates differ as well as customer definitions of quality. This gives a variety of selling opportunities in the Beef Business.

PPRM you are to be congratulated on the fine beef you raise.
As you know, we were fortunate to taste some of your beef, as were friends of ours. (Can you believe that was several years ago, already?)
We are glad you are successful because you very much deserve to be.

Latest posts