• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Why the Feds Chickened Out on a Nevada Ranch

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oldtimer said:
loomixguy said:
And what political party has had the majorities for the majority of Bush's & Obama's tenure?
Hint: you march in lock step with them...

Like littlejoe said- it really doesn't matter-- they are dysfunctional whatever letter they have by their name....

Are you going to answer the question, or ignore it because you hate the answer to it? Or are you too busy with your "ventures"? I guess garage sale season is coming right up.

M Gravlee said:
Hey, folks! Let's stay on topic here. This discussion is about the Nev. BLM problem.
The Nevada BLM problem is about the thin veneer of society which goes down many rabbit trails. All of these things make up part of the many decisions a rancher has to make on a daily and week basis. I was pleased at the response by everyday ranchers who seldom go over to political bull to discuss this issue and how it has been allowed to follow the many branches that this topic encompasses.

For the most part the comments have been respectful and calm. It would be a shame to not let the thread lead wherever it takes us. Of course this is your site and I respect that but I would ask that you let it flow.

per said:
M Gravlee said:
Hey, folks! Let's stay on topic here. This discussion is about the Nev. BLM problem.
The Nevada BLM problem is about the thin veneer of society which goes down many rabbit trails. All of these things make up part of the many decisions a rancher has to make on a daily and week basis. I was pleased at the response by everyday ranchers who seldom go over to political bull to discuss this issue and how it has been allowed to follow the many branches that this topic encompasses.

For the most part the comments have been respectful and calm. It would be a shame to not let the thread lead wherever it takes us. Of course this is your site and I respect that but I would ask that you let it flow.

I agree. This has been an interesting thread and while I haven't been commenting I have been learning a lot. There seems to be many sides to this story and to me it is becoming apparent there is no black and white in this case.
It is also refreshing not to see the thread degenerate like so many do once the trolls show up.
Hopefully 'H doesn't give up on us completely, I sure enjoy his input.

Silver said:
per said:
M Gravlee said:

I agree. This has been an interesting thread and while I haven't been commenting I have been learning a lot. There seems to be many sides to this story and to me it is becoming apparent there is no black and white in this case.
It is also refreshing not to see the thread degenerate like so many do once the trolls show up.
Hopefully 'H doesn't give up on us completely, I sure enjoy his input.

I agree!!

Seems when I start posting in "Ranch Talk", someone, not mentioning any names, complains, and my threads are either moved to "PB", or we get a warning to stay on topic.

Who moved the brewers grain/FDA thread? Is feeding brewers "free" grain not a topic for Ranch Talk?

There have been some interesting links, especially on this post. There are so many 'tails' to this Bundy story. Doubtless, plenty of 'tales', too! The most plausible, especially in light of the desperation for water in the west, it that someone is after the water rights Bundys own. And the story of the energy farm being a 'cover' to hide the water fight behind makes a certain amount of sense. As does the claim of the solar or wind power being on hold for a while until the price of electricity gets raised to where the 'greenies' want it so that solar and wind power becomes 'feasible'.

Sidline: on the Mexicans coming here illegally, it used to be that either the whole family, or just the breadwinner(s) came and worked a few months or even years, then returned home to live much better lives. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. What we really need is some sort of 'guest worker' deal with NO chance for citizenship. I do see the problem for the veg and fruit farmers who rely on those Mexicans to pick the crops. Those are pretty specialized jobs, and few people in the USA are willing to do that hard work when they can get onto the various welfare programs so easily.
Serious as the illegal Mexican immigrant problem is, the people coming in from other countries is really frightening, considering that the Radical Islam religion is at war with everyone and every nation not willing to join their ranks. Why shouldn't we be concerned??????

mrj said:
There have been some interesting links, especially on this post. There are so many 'tails' to this Bundy story. Doubtless, plenty of 'tales', too! The most plausible, especially in light of the desperation for water in the west, it that someone is after the water rights Bundys own. And the story of the energy farm being a 'cover' to hide the water fight behind makes a certain amount of sense. As does the claim of the solar or wind power being on hold for a while until the price of electricity gets raised to where the 'greenies' want it so that solar and wind power becomes 'feasible'.

Sidline: on the Mexicans coming here illegally, it used to be that either the whole family, or just the breadwinner(s) came and worked a few months or even years, then returned home to live much better lives. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. What we really need is some sort of 'guest worker' deal with NO chance for citizenship. I do see the problem for the veg and fruit farmers who rely on those Mexicans to pick the crops. Those are pretty specialized jobs, and few people in the USA are willing to do that hard work when they can get onto the various welfare programs so easily.
Serious as the illegal Mexican immigrant problem is, the people coming in from other countries is really frightening, considering that the Radical Islam religion is at war with everyone and every nation not willing to join their ranks. Why shouldn't we be concerned??????

Something like this, mrj?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04/14/syrian-extremists-threaten-to-destroy-canada-in-online-video/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/16/feds-accused-leaving-trail-wreckage-after-nevada-ranch-standoff/

Oldtimer said:
littlejoe said:
"Let me obliterate a bit of confusion here: the Obama administration attempted to go to war with a rancher in Nevada"

This is an example of my main 'irk' with the politics of this site. 'the Obama administration' 'the gop...." "the demos'

I doubt Obama gives much of a damn about this deal. Or had much to do with it. Anyhow--to me---it isn't one party or the other. They're both incompetent. It's the huge, all powerful, pretty much totally f'kd up fed govt. It keeps getting bigger. It keeps operating on borrowed money and getting deeper in dept. It keeps getting farther removed from 'we, the people' It keeps getting in wars we got no business in and can't afford. It's got no reason to own any land, other that cemetaries, national monuments, some parks and wilderness. And we go enough wilderness. The less fed govt, the better. The less state govt, the better. The more things can be decided on a local level---by the people it directly effects and who know what its about, the better.

AMEN- and the thing I hated to see most was kids watching the news with the armed militias - and the folks refusing to follow the Sworn officers orders-- learning that its alright to take up guns against law enforcement and oppose Court Orders and Federal Judges... Are we further teaching kids to disrespect all authority.. :???:

When I grew up I was taught to seek out a policeman when I needed help- now it appears a generation is teaching their kids to fear, disrespect, and disobey authority or law enforcement....
What side of this fence are you on?

BLM had cattle rounded up and no where to go, nobody wanted to sell them, brand inspection questions, sale barns being black balled, there are health an Quarantine issues ( area has been known for Thric)

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."

― Thomas Jefferson

We are a land of laws and no justice. It's not just to regulate a multi-generational ranch out of business over a turtle and create laws to do it. We are also a nation were justice was blind. No there is justice for some but not others. The hard working lower to middle class American male isn't equal to other classes when laws are created.

redrobin said:
We are a land of laws and no justice. It's not just to regulate a multi-generational ranch out of business over a turtle and create laws to do it. We are also a nation were justice was blind. No there is justice for some but not others. The hard working lower to middle class American male isn't equal to other classes when laws are created.

This a bit off topic, but white college females seeking scholarships are not created equal either. They get passed by way too often for minorities.

True. The fact that my kids are half Filipino, or Amerasian, has paid off with a couple of really nice scholarships for the girls...the boy gets his turn next year. Might not be right, but I can't complain.
#1 was her class salutatorian, and #2 was her class valedictorian. #3 is ranked 6th in his class...but less than one full point separates him from the kid ranked first. That's a real horserace there.

loomixguy said:
True. The fact that my kids are half Filipino, or Amerasian, has paid off with a couple of really nice scholarships for the girls...the boy gets his turn next year. Might not be right, but I can't complain.
#1 was her class salutatorian, and #2 was her class valedictorian. #3 is ranked 6th in his class...but less than one full point separates him from the kid ranked first. That's a real horserace there.

The young lady I know that has had problems getting scholarships was Valedictorian of her class. Was chosen to be an intern at MIT and spent one semester there; had a paper published, is working to become a doctor and is passing with flying colors. She applied for many scholarships and of course, they cost money just to apply......only to be passed over time and again for minorities.

What is so neat about this particular young lady, she volunteers for many things, a lot of it to do with the elderly and the homeless. She has a heart of hearts. She's brilliant, and is very close to becoming a doctor. If she decides to be a Critical Care doctor, which she is considering, she has 3 more years to go. She is totally dedicated. More scholarships would have helped make it easier. But she never gave up.

I'm glad for your kids, sounds like they are deserving.

Latest posts