• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

why the rush to buy guns

Help Support Ranchers.net:

How things wander. I think the gun rush right now are mostly 20 or more rd clips and auto guns.

From the local gun dealer he says he doesn't see much difference in gun sales. Quite a bit of ammo though. Most people had the guns they wanted before.
He said some of the city gunshops are selling guns and ammo like crazy. Mainly to new gunbuyers and mostly liberals

HELLO PEOPLE.......................................... :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: .

HUNTING SEASON!!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oldtimer said:
kolanuraven said:
Pure idiocy and over-reaction.

Yep-- yesterday when I was doing some brands paperwork I kept writing the 6th for a date- and then was reminded it was the 7th...
I said "it can't possibly be- you mean the election has been over for 3 days and the country hasn't fell apart" :???:
Even got a chuckle from a couple old Repubs... :wink:

The only ammo flying off our shelves is going because none of the easterner hunters can estimate how fast those antelope can move... :wink:

Hey oldtimer you reckon all these people are eastern antalope hunters :roll: :roll:

Local News
Stocking up: Montana gun enthusiasts buy up weapons in fear of new rules
By MICHAEL JAMISON of the Missoulian

John Beatty sights down an assault rifle last week at the Axmen Firearms store just south of Missoula. Many gun buyers are fearing a federal ban on assault weapons will be reinstated under the Obama administration.
Photo by KURT WILSON/Missoulian

KALISPELL - President-elect Barack Obama won't move into the Oval Office for months yet, but already he's providing a big boost to at least one sector of Montana's economy.

"Our sales are way up," said Ray Strash, at Kalispell's Brass and Bullets. "I can't even get any AR-15-style rifles. Everyone's out. The suppliers are all back-ordered, and I told them, 'Don't even call us - just ship them as soon as you can, because we'll take whatever we can get.' "

Nationwide, gun enthusiasts are buying up weaponry in preparation for what they fear will be a federal firearms crackdown under the Obama administration.

At Missoula's Axmen Firearms, where Bruin Herr has worked the counter for years, sales are up about 25 percent over this time last year, and customers are talking a lot about Obama's position on Second Amendment issues.

Usually, Herr sees a sharp decline in gun sales once the hunting crowd is outfitted, "but not this year. This year, sales shot way up."
"
People are paranoid," he said, "and they should be. Obama will restrict guns. That's a fact. Just look at his voting record."

It is, largely, a record of gun controls. As a candidate Obama said he recognized "the great conservation legacy of America's hunters," giving sportsmen credit for much of the country's wildlife management successes. But while acknowledging citizens' right to bear arms, he at the same time spoke of government's authority to constrain that right - just as zoning laws often limit property rights.

Obama has supported laws that would require gun manufacturers to install child-safety locks, and he backs the authority of states to limit - or eliminate - concealed weapons.

In 2006, he did support a bill prohibiting the government from confiscating citizens' guns during a national crisis, and in 2004 voted for legislation allowing retired police officers to carry concealed weapons.

But he's also co-sponsored legislation limiting handgun purchases to one per month, and has shown interest in restricting sales at gun shows.

It's a position that might feel foreign to Herr's Montana gun customers, but makes perfect sense to a president-elect whose Chicago hometown saw three dozen schoolchildren gunned down on its streets in 2007, in a country where gun violence is the No. 1 killer of young African-American men.

The recent boom in gun sales, however, is not a response to the president-elect's nuanced Second Amendment positions. Rather, it is fueled primarily by Obama's support for reinstating the nation's now-expired assault weapons ban.

Signed by President Clinton in 1994 and expiring in 2004, that 10-year ban prohibited the sale of "assault weapons," as defined by the federal government. Generally, it banned semiautomatic guns that, when fired, use the explosive force of the weapon to automatically eject the spent casing and load the next shell into the chamber.

Such weapons allow the shooter to fire one round per pull of the trigger, without pausing to manually eject and reload. The legislation also prohibited many custom gun parts, including flash suppressors, which reduce the visibility of muzzle flash.

And the result then, as now, was a rush for guns in the days immediately preceding the ban.

"Bill Clinton sold more guns than any other president," Herr said. "Barack Obama is going to sell even more."

Mostly, buyers are stocking up on those AR-15-style guns that Strash can't keep in stock. They are the Polish Tantal, the AK-47, the UZI, the many semiautomatics that often feature folding stocks, threaded barrels (for flash suppressors), vertical pistol grips, and high-capacity clips.

These are not hunting rifles, but neither are these guns often used in crime, according to a study by the Department of Justice. They are, however, popular among gun enthusiasts, collectors and competitive shooters.

Buyers fear Obama will resurrect the national assault weapons ban, and they worry he'll work to outlaw handguns, as well; but Herr believes neither measure makes much sense.

"Look," he said, "it's either a gun, or it's not. You can't say some are good and some are bad. We're not talking about making the world safe from guns. We're talking about eroding individual rights."

He looks at who controls the nation's Senate and House, looks at the president-elect's record, looks at Obama's advisers and concludes "people have good reason to be worried."

Worried enough that during the campaign's final two weeks, gun sales jumped by 25 percent, with no sign of a slowdown anytime soon. Even reloading supplies are selling fast at Brass and Bullets, because "today, powder is just powder," Strash said. "Once Obama gets sworn in it'll be an explosive, and you'll need a license to buy it."

The recent rush on sales "hit its peak on Election Day," Herr said. "That was a very emotional day for people."

And not just in Montana.

"Some of our manufacturers are back-ordered for months," he said. "This election has had a very significant impact on gun sales nationwide."

Strash - who has only about a dozen AR-15-style rifles left in stock - figures the rush to buy will last through Christmas, and then taper off. But he predicts another burst in business immediately after Obama takes office in late January, and a much larger burst if - he says when - Congress and the White House begin debating gun control legislation.

Over at defensivecarry.com - an Internet forum about concealed weapons - a member named Squawker summed up buyers' sentiment, predicting that an Obama presidency will drive both demand and price upward:

"He is without a doubt the most extreme candidate on guns that's out there," Squawker wrote. "I've already started to buy guns that I want. On my list are an AK-47 or variant, a Springfield Armory Socom II, along with some assorted handguns to round out the collection, such as an XD-45 Tactica, a 4-inch barrel 357, etc. I could get by on what I've already got (Glock '9, 26, 30, Beretta 92-FS, and a SA XD-45 service, a Winchester 1300, another Winchester shotgun with a pistol grip, and an AR-15), but I just want the others for fun (OK, the AK and Socom II are for defense). I also have started stocking up on ammo."

Some are buying just to collect while they can, Herr said. And some are buying as an investment - once new sales of certain weapons are outlawed, their value increases substantially.

"But the best reason to buy a gun is still self-defense," he said. "You have to protect yourself."

The bumper stickers in Brass and Bullet's parking lot seem to agree: "Those who hammer their swords into ploughs are destined to be ruled by those who did not."

And to those who think such sentiment is just so much paranoia, those who say America's government never will disarm its citizenry, "well, take a look at history," Herr advised. "Not so long ago a can of beer was illegal in this country."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kolanuraven said:
HELLO PEOPLE.......................................... :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: .

HUNTING SEASON!!!!!

EARTH TO KOLO look at the gun sales and who are buying what!! NOT hunters

Mostly, buyers are stocking up on those AR-15-style guns that Strash can't keep in stock. They are the Polish Tantal, the AK-47, the UZI, the many semiautomatics that often feature folding stocks, threaded barrels (for flash suppressors), vertical pistol grips, and high-capacity clips

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

kolanuraven said:

HUNTING SEASON!!!!!

If there was any doubt, which I don't see how there could be, you just proved that you have no idea what is going on in this country with that diagnosis. Please tell me that you didn't vote.

hopalong said:
kolanuraven said:

HUNTING SEASON!!!!!

Mostly, buyers are stocking up on those AR-15-style guns that Strash can't keep in stock. They are the Polish Tantal, the AK-47, the UZI, the many semiautomatics that often feature folding stocks, threaded barrels (for flash suppressors), vertical pistol grips, and high-capacity clips

Hi sweetness....was getting worried about you cause you haven't been in my tracks in the last few days.

Now my week can start off on a good note....you still love me. :heart:

kolanuraven said:
hopalong said:
kolanuraven said:

HUNTING SEASON!!!!!

Hi sweetness....was getting worried about you cause you haven't been in my tracks in the last few days.

It is almost comical how you libs respond when showed to be wrong with facts. Do you guys have any idea how shallow you become once faced with a debate of facts? :roll:

aplusmnt said:
kolanuraven said:
hopalong said:

It is almost comical how you libs respond when showed to be wrong with facts. Do you guys have any idea how shallow you become once faced with a debate of facts? :roll:

Don't forget who you are speaking to Aplus. She may actually go deer hunting with a 9mm pistol.

kolanuraven said:
hopalong said:
kolanuraven said:

HUNTING SEASON!!!!!

Get over yourtself you are too much in love with yourself for any one else to even admire you!

And that is your response to a post that shows just how ignorant you can be!!!
No wonder you need the meds you take!!!

someone call 911 she is about to go over the edge, can't even make a rebuttal to the fact she is wrong!!!!

kolanuraven said:
hopalong said:
kolanuraven said:

HUNTING SEASON!!!!!

Does a person good to see this kind of devotion from one poster to another. :wink:

Latest posts