• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wildlife Populations way UP

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Southdakotahunter said:
just for the heck of it, i went to the Montana game department and looked at the cost of getting a license for elk in montana. Looks like it would cost me $700 for an any elk license and the only way i could get a cow tag is if i already have an elk tag, then the tag costs nearly $300 for a cow. I got no problems shooting cows but have a problem paying $300 for it on top to $700. If i could shoot 2 cows for $300 i would really think about it. I would think if they want to help thin them they would have some special deal for cows. Anyway, do you have to have a guide to hunt elk in montana or can anyone just go? I know some states you have to go thru a guide.

Don't need a guide in this area- but outfitters are allocated so many tags, so if you want a guaranteed license you have to book thru an outfitter...Also around here they have so many applicants for elk permits that they have to have a drawing for them....This year they are giving out several (50, I think) cow permits for Jr. hunters (13-17)- and will allow them to start hunting 3 days early....

And with the deer- last year you could buy an unlimited number of tags good for whitetail does- its just that so much of the prime country was closed because of outfitter leases they didn't get harvested...Fish and Game knows they have a problem with that... Some years- when deer damage gets bad- they have had late (Dec.-Jan) doe hunts and tried to get the closed land opened then......

You think with food banks etc. somebody would eat up some deer-the local church used to come get the meat from the bucks our hunters shot. This time of year when the deer herd up it always seems a bit worse for numbers-in a couple months they'll be scattered out again for fawning. They do raise hell on the baby grass if you get enough of them.

I have allowed several hunters for several years and I require them to fill their max doe tags or they can't come back next year.

Then I got greedy as an outfitter offered me $4,000 for the rights to my property. I signed the contract and they could not find hunters so the deer got a break this year.

By the way I never got a dime from the outfitter. Next year I will go back to my old way. I have to get the deer under control. When I sit on the porch and see 40 to 50 at a time there are to many.

We were going to lease to an outfitter a couple of years ago and he never showed up either. But he had a big cock and bull story to get out of it...

The Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks had already told us one and that is the reason we don't do block management either.

I am glad to hear you are trying to control the populating to the best of your ability. Some say hunting does nothing for population control. I disagree.....anytime you harvest one, thats one less. You may not be able to control them like you think, but every one helps. Doing nothing does more harm than anything. If everyone would require doe/cow harvest on their land before they can take a buck/bull, things may get better. Outfitters need to realize this.

I don't require the does first as a hunter might get lucky and find a good buck off the bat.

But the hunters know if they don't fill their doe limit they will not be allowed back next year.

By going to the DNR hunters are now allowed to double up on does in this neighborhood.

I feel if you take a buck you will not have an impact on the population but taking does makes a differance.

Latest posts