• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Will a calf lick a rumensin block?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

traveler004

Reaction score
Usually I'll get mineral with bovatec in the spring but was thinking rumensin blocks would be more weather resistant and easier for a calf to have access to. We fight cocci so I like to have an ionophore for prevention but have never used blocks. Also, dumb question but would you put out salt blocks with rumensin blocks or is there salt in there. Thanks

traveler004 said:
Usually I'll get mineral with bovatec in the spring but was thinking rumensin blocks would be more weather resistant and easier for a calf to have access to. We fight cocci so I like to have an ionophore for prevention but have never used blocks. Also, dumb question but would you put out salt blocks with rumensin blocks or is there salt in there. Thanks

I don't know the answer about the blocks. We used the mineral with bovatec last spring with pretty good success. This year we are giving the calves a pill at birth that is supposed to prevent it. For the life of me I can't remember what it is called :oops:

If you're wanting to use an ionophore, consistent consumption is key to maximize effectiveness of the product. Although I believe rumensin is more effective than bovatec, consumption will be much more consistent from the loose product rather than the block. There is likely some salt in the block but a quick check of the label would let you know for sure.

Good luck!

traveler004 said:

I wintered pretty rough, was looking for rumensin in mineral for the increased feed efficiency. Guess they make it, but it's kinda bitter. Found some loose with bovatec, kinda a meal. But bovatec maybe ain't cleared for bovines?

Anyway, it's 1,000 a ton which is a little less that mineral i usually use. 3 oz per cow. 20% salt which probably cheapened it up. Cows ate it about right, calves i wintered are in smaller pasture, had to cut that some more with salt. Definitely could see difference in stool and increased appetite. For calves, i put it where they'd come in for water, had several yrs old straw in haywagon there free choice, they'd hit the straw most days.

Latest posts