• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wind Energy Will Save The Day?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Friday, March 30, 2012
A year ago, a Reno clean energy businessman warned the Public Utilities Commission that if it didn't set a few standards for NV Energy's wind rebate program, its customers could end up footing the bill for turbines that rarely produce electricity.

One reason behind his concern: To be eligible for rebates, customers didn't need to prove that the wind actually blows enough to justify installing a turbine on their property.

"This could allow unscrupulous developers to sell turbines to unsuspecting customers who will not generate electricity from an installed turbine because there is no wind to power the turbine," Clean Energy Center managing member Rich Hamilton told the PUC last May. "This problem is especially vexing because ratepayer money could be contributing to the cost of such turbines, which could give the Wind Generations program and the wind industry a black eye."

The PUC agreed that such a standard would be a good idea but sided with NV Energy's position that it was too early to move forward with it just yet.

A year later, however, Hamilton's warning appears to have been spot on.

The electricity produced by NV Energy's $46 million wind rebate program has fallen far short of expectations.

In a startling example, the city of Reno's wind turbines — for which the city received more than $150,000 in rate-payer funded rebates — produced dramatically less electricity than the manufacturers of its turbines promised.

"These manufacturers, when they gave us the turbines, they said they were designed to be mounted on a parapet at this height, and that's what we did," said Jason Geddes, who runs the city of Reno's renewable energy program. "But when we started getting actual wind flow patterns, we realized their claims were wrong."

As first reported by the Reno Gazette-Journal, one turbine that cost the city $21,000 to install saved the city $4 on its energy bill. Overall, $416,000 worth of turbines have netted the city $2,800 in energy savings.

Overall, $416,000 worth of turbines have netted the city $2,800 in energy savings.

yes but in 148 and a half years they will be paid for and all the rest of the electricity is free! :? :???:

Steve said:
Overall, $416,000 worth of turbines have netted the city $2,800 in energy savings.

yes but in 148 and a half years they will be paid for and all the rest of the electricity is free! :? :???:

Sounds good. How long does the ball bearings last?

Last week the geniuses from the state and from a private company came to the plant. We fired up all 4 engines, one at a time, so they could measure emissions and then figure out just how each unit would need the catalytic converters attatched, etc. so we could meet the new federal mandates for diesel fired power plants.

I have no idea whether the city will get the engines fitted so we can stay in business or not. One of the wizards said you better figure the cost to be at least 1 million dollars. My best guess is that by May 2013 the 5 of us who pull shifts there will probably out of a job. I am the only one working there who isn't drawing Social Security. One guy is almost 80, one just found out he has prostate cancer and needs a minimum of 40 chemo treatments, and another is also having health issues. Myself, I'm not there for the money....straight pay, no overtime or holiday pay, and we've had no raises for the last 2 years....but the benefits are fantastic.

You think your electric rates are high now....just wait...you ain't seen NOTHIN' yet, I'm afraid.

loomixguy said:
You think your electric rates are high now....just wait...you ain't seen NOTHIN' yet, I'm afraid.

locally Governor Christie is falling instep and forcing the shutdown of our local coal fired plant..

in the interim we will have to rely on our diesel plant for more then just a backup in peak times...

local truck drivers are scrambling to update CDLs,..

the cost will skyrocket if they close that plant..

Latest posts