• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

winner of Old Homesteads

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cert

Reaction score
Winner of Old Homesteads by ONE vote is Ms Sage, photo #2.
JohnsonCityGunFarmhouse.jpg

I've been officially reprimanded about falling behind here. I appologize.

I only have 3 "prettiest" entries. Do I post them or continue to beg for entries? The number of entries each week has fallen off drastically. I'm having to beg to get enough photos to post without filling the void with my own, which I don't want to do. Thanks to Liberty Belle, sw, hanta yo and northern rancher for helping out and sending more than one picture the past couple weeks.

Again, sorry for getting behind.

Cert,
have faith, we will come through, though sometimes slow just so we have a contest. We have already looked through to do the prettiest, so they will be forth coming. Thanks for doing this, we think it is fun and we get to see some great pictures of different country. :lol:

I would like to thank the one person that voted for our place number 6. That was a old aerial photo that had been scanned into the computer and when cert called for more photos I thought what the heck. The yellow house and big barn were built in 1916 by the man from Illinois that came west before he finished college to farm and ranch. He had a farm up on the Soo line and this ranch about 70 miles south. The lumber was hauled with team and wagon from Culbertson MT a haul of about 60 miles. The house was two story and the porch was put on and the house painted for the first time about 1953 when the photo was taken. The shed was 48ft by298ft. The cottage was just built within a couple years of the pic being taken and that is where my grandparents lived when they came to the ranch for business from the East.

I almost forgot that the man built the house and barn went back to the states in the 30's and finished university in the 60's when he was in his 80's.

Just FYI,

I took photo #7, for all you who are history buffs, this is Ressa Clute's cabin, left just the way it was when he passed away 5 years ago. This property borders ours (with the exception of 100 acres inbetween), Ressa was quite the cowboy.

I liked #7 but I voted for #4 cause it looked so lonely and I would sure like to here the story about that big white house with the cables holding it together.

I liked #7 but I voted for #4 cause it looked so lonely and I would sure like to here the story about that big white house with the cables holding it together.
Thanks BMR, #4 is on our grazing association and was owned by Fred Denzin, a rancher and extraordinary magician. He and his wife, who was a school teacher, lived there until they were too old to live by themselves and sold it to us.

I also submitted #8, the big white house. This house was built by Tom Ashcroft, an Englishman and early settler in Harding County. My husband's uncle bought the place from Tom in the twenties and lived in the house until shortly before Uncle Claude died in 1979. Claude is the one who put the cables around the rock house when it developed a crack, must have been in the sixties.

Both these places will be featured on this year's historical tour.

#10 is an abandoned settler's cabin in the Slim Buttes that was built by one of the Gilbert's, also early settlers in Harding County. It was one of the places visited by the Harding County Historical Tour last year.

Old Homesteads was so far the one I had the hardest time voting on.Liked so many of those abandoned buildings, maybe in future we could try that one again.Whos pic was Nu.3 finally voted on that one.

THANK YOU for yall vote.
I took that pic 3 years ago when I was going to work the NBRSA match in Johnson City Tn. Was given the wrong directions to the gun club so I made a wrong turn and come upon this old farm house. Had to go back at dawn to get the shot. Made the shooters a bit mad cuz I was late but they cant have a match without me so they got over it.

MsSage said:
THANK YOU for yall vote.
I took that pic 3 years ago when I was going to work the NBRSA match in Johnson City Tn. Was given the wrong directions to the gun club so I made a wrong turn and come upon this old farm house. Had to go back at dawn to get the shot. Made the shooters a bit mad cuz I was late but they cant have a match without me so they got over it.

MsSage, How about that! I have been to some of the NBRSA matches in Johnson City! I even won the 200 Light Varmint there a few years ago. It's a small world.

I bet Brady Knight was raising cane about you being late!

By the way, I just got my info on the "Super Shoot" next year. You ever done it?

katrina said:
Mike. clue me in.... 200 light varmint.. What do you weigh in then shoot??? Is that with or without your gun and ammo??? :wink: :twisted:

"Light Varmint" is a 10.5 lb. gun without ammo - scope included

"Heavy Varmint" is a 13.5 lb. gun without ammo - scope included

"Unlimited" is anything that can be picked up and put on the shooting bench.

The "200" is at 200 yards-there are also 100, 300, and 1000 yard matches.

The "Groups" are measured with a special set of Dial Calipers and are measured down to the "thousandth" of an inch.

I have seen groups as small as .036 of an inch. 5-shot groups. Smallest I have ever shot is a .096 at 100 yards.

It's quite a sport.

Ok, I was just being a smartass. Now you've peaked my interest... When you Caliper... What do you caliper??? remember I'm blonde... And do women shoot with the men??? Do they have age limites. say old farts (you) and youngins. (me)???? :p

OMGAWD LOL gotta LOVE Brady or should I say Brady's Marinade LOL
Super shoot is always done by the Kelbys and they have a set crew. LOL not sure I would want that job.
Did you see how Billy Stephens did at the worlds?
You have prob seen me if you have been to any of the matches in the southeast region.

Katrina YESSSSSSSSSSS women shot with the men and BEAT them LOL
A caliper is a measuring tool the is use to find the distance between the two longest point of the bullet holes on the target. All of the guns have been custom made. Most shoot a 6 ppc but some still use a .22 and every once in awhile a 30 come along LOL BIG HOLES.
Age has NO bearing LOL since you can get a very powerful scope. The only way age comes into play is during the last match~~there are 5 matches per gun (light,heavyvarmit) which you shoot 5 bullets in each match. You want a very consistant agg. smaller the better. They add up the 5 matches and average them out to your agg. The only thing you get is a trophy for the first 5 places BUT the friendship and the laughter you get from the other shooters is well worth it.
Most guns start out at about $1500. It is an awsome sport and if you really want to try it let me know I can find out what region your in and get you a schedual and you can go watch a match. If you still want to try it talk to the region's director and they have guns they lend for the day to shooters wanting to try. Please I would be glad to help get you any info you want or need.

MsSage said:
OMGAWD LOL gotta LOVE Brady or should I say Brady's Marinade LOL
Super shoot is always done by the Kelbys and they have a set crew. LOL not sure I would want that job.
Did you see how Billy Stephens did at the worlds?
You have prob seen me if you have been to any of the matches in the southeast region.

I haven't shot in a couple of years, but have shot at the Crawfish, Super Shoot, Rachels Glen (Just down the road from me), Unaka, Fayette, Roanoke, to name a few. I plan to shoot at Mickey's this spring.

Billy Stevens has built a couple of guns for me, but most were built by James Messer. They are BOTH good guys.

Nice to meet you! In the pines, in the pines............................

Why havent you been to the Shamrock? its close and a awsome range. Messer LOL he is a mess LOL
When are Mickeys dates this year?
Been trying to work it out to get to lakeland. But might just start out in Dublin. Ted is suppose to get back with me about Ronoake. I know I should go to the NBRSA site but LOL Wilber usually calls right after the New Year.

MsSage said:
Why havent you been to the Shamrock? its close and a awsome range. Messer LOL he is a mess LOL
When are Mickeys dates this year?
Been trying to work it out to get to lakeland. But might just start out in Dublin. Ted is suppose to get back with me about Ronoake. I know I should go to the NBRSA site but LOL Wilber usually calls right after the New Year.

Don't know yet.

Hanta Yo said:
Just FYI,

I took photo #7, for all you who are history buffs, this is Ressa Clute's cabin, left just the way it was when he passed away 5 years ago. This property borders ours (with the exception of 100 acres inbetween), Ressa was quite the cowboy.

I found this website by googling my Uncle Ressa. Can you tell me where I can look at the picture you talk about here? I would love to see it. Thanks!

Latest posts