• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

winter in north pics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tamarack

Reaction score
This winter has been most confusing one week-30 to -40 with snow next week +2 to +4 with rain cut the snow in half this week -30 wind and snow again and I mean SNOW forecast Jan 1-2 is +2 again bad for cattle too found my 3yr purebred shorthorn bull in snow bank this morning couldn't get up drug him out with tractor but he can not stand looks like bull shopping for spring :mad:

tamarack,
Hang in there. That sounds like our winter last year. It was very tough on cattle and we are still building condition score on our big cows.

We've been 20 degrees below average temps since early November. Get the odd one or two day reprieve back to normal that feels balmy. The kids are home from school and shut in for cold, its hard on everyone.

Still snowing warmed up some -15 today my cow dog is a great help she is just made for these conditions now I know why us northern ranchers cross the Border Collie with Husky! She sure likes the snow.

Not too bad of cow dog she is getting better as ageing but not too many years left 11yrs now but she is tough tangled with a wolf or bear one spring I found her in front of house and took to vet had to operate on her 2 times and she healed up good lost part of her togune and lots of damage to hindquarter 3yrs ago, and last year found her with a stick in her guts and another trip to vet I think she was stealing afterbirth one night and cow rolled her around in bush but she healed up good. Is a great dog with kids and other people she is barking out front of house now, does not go after any thing anymore but sure barks, big chicken.hah. don't know what I would do without her.

Well it warmed up this week and the wind BLEW dropped the snow 2 ft it is just to a moose knees temps are running +3 to 7 which is unheard of for this time of year but we will take it (as if we had a choice)

Darn deer started travelling when snow fell one ran into the side of my truck and took off door handle and tail light and dented in between $5100 damage no wonder insurance is so high.

Latest posts