• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

wish i'd of had my camera yesterday

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jerry H

Reaction score
yasterday my boss decided that since he was going to be gone today we would do two days work in one "this is not unusal "
well we started out gathering a grass pasture about 2 sections that had about 400 yearlings in it and driving them about 3 miles down the road to a wheat pasture
we had no problem at all two good horses two fair cowboys,3 good cow dogs "kelpies" and my boss on his fourwheeler "a new thing to two tone the horse i was riding but he took it ok
then we came back to the ranch we started at to gather another grass pasture about the same size with about a 1000 yearlings in it well they have been feeding these cattle all they have been getting as there is not any grass and they feed them in bunks so when you pull into the pasture they run to the bunks and thay stay there
well we finally get them on the move and take them to trap and gate cut 450 to go to one wheat pasture then put the rest in the corral ato go out another way "the same small crew" well we as tierd and then the phone rings and a man we have another set of cattle for want us to ship them this morning well we can't do that as the boss is going to be gone so he tells him send the now and tells us to eat right quik and go and get them little calves for this man
well these cattle are gentle like driving sheep but he still thinks he needs his cake rig so i leave my tired dogs in the dog box as thought we not need them WRONG we drove them right to the back gate of the pens and then the cake rig died and his kennel where he keepe his border collie is just inside well those cattle stopped when the truck did and when we tried to push them in the dog hits the fence and those kids came back over us like a bunch of birds well after sevral more failed try's at that gate we took them to another gate and got them in all but one well this was not a problem just rope him and lets go the truck is there by now so we got them loaded
now back to the first ranch to put out that other set of yearlings we penned well we started ou with them and got them out with minimal trouble and we have to take the other set out this morning with out the fourwheeler so it will go easy
well time to load tired horses and dogs and go home
wow what a day i get home and the kids want to play here we go again but i didn't mind
the life of a big outfit cowboy "you gotta love it"
if i would of had my camera i could have gotten great pic's as it was a beutiful day here
until later
jerry

Looks like it may have been an interesting day but real hard to read without any punctuation well maybe next time you can put in some commas periods and capital letters so we can experience your day a bit better :p

i'm sorry i'm not very punchal and i can't spell very good either
just another dumb puncher i reckon
but it was still one heck of a day wish i'd had a camera to take a picture of a thousand head of yearlings srtung out with the dogs bringing them without much help in the back
until later
jerry

Hell I enjoyed your story without puntuation ,capitals etc...that stuff doesn't make the story.Sounds like all in a days work,and darned good work it is huh? :)

Glad to see that other cowboys have "them days"...lol Course if everything went according to the plan...life would be boring!! Thanks for a great story..and yes...pack that camera always!!! :lol:

i geuss you just have to know how punchers talk to unstand the way i talk
i type just like i talk so i don't use that kind of pucuation a reckon
i wish i could have taken some pic's but ya know i was pretty darn busy most of the day
last year my boss took some pic's of me and him moving 900 head by ouselves
i'll see if i can get them from him those are good pic's with him leading them me on the side and the dogs in the back bringing them
we'll i'm off again today
to pen and sort about 800 head
and put them back out on wheat
it should be interesting as the wind is going to blow 25 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph
wish me luck
until later
jerry

I just plan what I want to get done, not how it will happen, cause that never works out. About half the time what I want done doesn't necessarily happen either.

I have enjoyed your pictures and stories Jerry H. I would like to read about some of the "storms" (wrecks or good stories) you have been involved in. I can't imagine doing as much roping as you do on the job, be we don't have much for sick animals. And you know it is a no-no to just rope something for fun as it runs weight off them. Well, most of them. :wink: :D :!:

short grass
i know what you mean i change plans in mid stampede at times
but now that i have more good broke dogs i can do pretty much whatever i want to with 500 hd by myself any more than that i need more dogs or a helper to keep the lead slowed down

tap
i have some good storys of wild times but i don't type to fast or very good so it takes me alot of time but when the urge hits me i'll put some on here
maybe this summer when it's 110 out side and i take a long lunch
by the way your signiture is great
i have been there to many times
as for the sickness ours is stress and weather induced
in the fall the calves come here walkin and ballin and the dust is usualy bad and we have to keep them up in traps till the quit ballin
then the weather is terrible for them 30's in the morning and 90 in the afternoon
not to mention the stress of being shipped then prossesed at the feed yard loaded on truck and then sent here to the ranch for me to try to fix all the problems
well i had a terrible day with the wind and flying rocks i think all the dust is gone so now it's big chunks in the air
the stock worked good oddly enough
until later
jerry

Latest posts