• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Woopie!!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Im going goose hunting with a buddy saturday and monday!!!Getting the 12 gague all cleaned up already.... Whats goose hunting like??? Any tips?

You better be ready for some serious shooting from what I have seen about goose hunting up there. We got better things to do, antelope opens on Sunday and I saw a good 15 incher today, wont beat my 17 incher but a good one for MCG to start on.

Lol, I know I gotta be ready to shoot.... saw tons here this afternoon.... 2 days left!!!

Lucky, lucky, we diddnt get drawn for speed goats here this yr. :( :cry: lol.... good luck to you guys!

Just don't be in a rush when your lead calls for everyone to shoot. Keep her tucked in tight to your shoulder and aim careful. I love goose hunting. There's really nothing like it. If you have a lead running your shoot that knows what they're doing, it makes it alot more fun for everyone.

What's a lead? Lol. Im going with an uncle and his son, he really does know what he's doing... has been goose hunting since he was 12, and went with my grandfather before that. lol.

So basically, like deerhunting, cept you hafta aim much, much, much higher????

Do geese have patterns like deer do?

shootin geese is fun...but eating them is almost like being punished

The weather will dictate alot of how your hunt goes. But your Uncle will figure all that out I'm sure. If it's snowing, rainy, or a real cold miserable wind, they'll be floating in so low their bellies will scrape the stubble as they set their wings. And always remember, they'll come in facing INTO the wind, 99.9% of the time.

Eating goose isn't near as bad as cranes. To eat a crane, the secret recipe goes like this: First, you cut a chunk of plywood, 18" square. Then put the crane on it, and smother the whole carcass with a pound of butter. Throw it in the oven at 400F for 4 hours, pulling it out every 1/2 hour to smother on more butter and whatever herbs/spices you like. When the time's up, pull it out, throw the crane to the barncats and eat the plywood!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

PureCountry said:
Eating goose isn't near as bad as cranes. To eat a crane, the secret recipe goes like this: First, you cut a chunk of plywood, 18" square. Then put the crane on it, and smother the whole carcass with a pound of butter. Throw it in the oven at 400F for 4 hours, pulling it out every 1/2 hour to smother on more butter and whatever herbs/spices you like. When the time's up, pull it out, throw the crane to the barncats and eat the plywood!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

And here I always thought that was a Sage Hen recipe :wink: :lol:

Pheasant season starts here Saturday- My Doc said he's still working to get the legislature to make it a state Holiday :wink: - and with antelope opening on Sunday, there will be traffic all over hill and dale....

You guys!!! I love geese breasts in a sweet and sour sauce... Il look it up for you guys, Its REALLY good!! I shot at a goose with my bow this evening, but I missed and my free broadhead (got it iin a sporting shop as a demo, not a cereal box lol) and arrow vanished into the slough. lol.

How much lead do I have to give them when theyre flying?

LOL... W have to use Steel, Tungeten or Bismuth or a combo of the three around here... :wink:

I don't give advice for Goose hunting as the last time I went i might as well have just thrown firecrackers at them because the best chance I had to kill them was to give them a heartattachk with the loud booms.... I think I missed by a mile.

IL Rancher said:
LOL... W have to use Steel, Tungeten or Bismuth or a combo of the three around here... :wink:

I don't give advice for Goose hunting as the last time I went i might as well have just thrown firecrackers at them because the best chance I had to kill them was to give them a heartattachk with the loud booms.... I think I missed by a mile.

Angus needs to be using lead free shot as well. It's the law.

I assume he knew that and was just playing off the word lead, as in how far to aim infront of the geese so they would fly into your pattern vs the metal lead.. Just having some fun BMR...

Always thought it was an odd law that you had to use it when hunting over cornfields but whatever.... If only those Tungstedn and Bismuth and blends weren't so darn expensive.. Never did like the steel ones.

Hey, hey, IL Rancher!! You caught it!! I was waiting to see if the kid chimed in.

When you're aiming ACS, how far you 'lead them' depends on how far away they are, and how fast they're moving, like anything else in motion. It takes practice, but you get a feel for it.

I was gonna say something sooner if I saw it, but I was out on the lawn chasing the $&^$%&&*(%&#$%#&^%^&*($&& nocturnal deer off the lawn.... sons of a guns. lol.

Too bad you weren't closer to Hardisty, I've got a lawn ornament you could practice your leeeeeeeeding on! :lol: He's got a big bushy tail, black with some white graphics down the side, and smells worse than Northern's socks after 'pasture-AIing' all day.

The little jigger comes right up and eats out of the dogs auto feeder. And luckily the dog is smarter than she looks. She's big enough to swallow him, but she's smart enough to know how bad that spray hurts - and stinks.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed, not lead. lol. How much leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed do I have to give 'em? lol.

Purecountry's original answer " All of it" probably works for this answer to too...Usually I need to lead (leed) all I think is right and a little more to get them most the lead (led)......

Nice try, pure, but I kleave them alone!!!! Theyre for dad to hit with the truck on the highway. lol.

Dang, now Im really confused. lol.

So basically use instinct??

How do you gut and clean a goose?

Latest posts