• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Worried Dems pressing Obama on gas prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hypocritexposer

Reaction score
If the spike in prices is not supply/demand driven, then what impact will increasing the supply have?

the prices are obviously due to those secret meetings Bush had with the oil companies and their extreme profit margins :roll:

Congressional Democrats are ramping up pressure on President Obama to tap the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) to prevent rising gas prices from threatening the economy and their election-year prospects.

Republicans have hammered Democrats on the price spike, repeatedly noting that gas prices — now at $3.72 per gallon for regular — have doubled since Obama won the White House.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/213195-worried-dems-pressing-obama-on-gas-prices

But all is well on Valley County MT, just ask oldtimer, High fuel prices don't effect profit margins at all :wink: :wink: :wink:

hopalong said:
But all is well on Valley County MT, just ask oldtimer, High fuel prices don't effect profit margins at all :wink: :wink: :wink:

Which best describes your family's financial situation? Total

Getting ahead financially 17%
Holding steady financially 60%
Falling behind financially 22%

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2012/arizona-primary-feb-28/exit-polls

Most Arizona Repubs apparently don't think they are doing too bad according to yesterdays exit polls - altho we know some Arizonians think they should become instant milliionaires and whine and yip constantly when the government doesn't bless them with that... :roll:

Oldtimer said:
hopalong said:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2012/arizona-primary-feb-28/exit-polls

Most Arizona Repubs apparently don't think they are doing too bad according to yesterdays exit polls - altho we know some Arizonians think they should become instant milliionaires and whine and yip constantly when the government doesn't bless them with that... :roll:

I wonder how Dems poll

Oldtimer said:
hopalong said:

More Americans said they struggled to buy food in 2011 than in any year since the financial crisis, according to a recent report from the Food Research and Action Center, a nonprofit research group. About 18.6 percent of people -- almost one out of every five -- told Gallup pollsters that they couldn't always afford to feed everyone in their family in 2011.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/28/afford-food-hunger_n_1308020.html

Maybe you need to spend more time out talking to people instead of
listening to 2500 respondents to a poll oldtimer.60% is only about 1500 persons, 58% of respondents were over 50 yrs of age or older 63% of respondents made over $50000 to over 200000 last yr 41% of the respondents live in the suburbs ((affluence)) now go out and talk to the producers of products, stay out of the bars, (( we know that they will say what you want them to for a drink)) go to a sale barn coffee shop and listen to what they have to say, and see if they feel the economy is holding steady, see if folks feel $250 a ton for hay is reasonable, see if they feel a new set of tires for their truck should cost $1000, see if they feel they should be paying twice as much for farm fuel as the did a couple of yrs ago!
See if seeds and fertilizer prices should have doubled???

Then pull your head out of the dark warm hole you keep it in 99% of the time!!

hopalong said:
Maybe you need to spend more time out talking to people instead of
listening to 2500 respondents to a poll oldtimer.60% is only about 1500 persons, 58% of respondents were over 50 yrs of age or older 63% of respondents made over $50000 to over 200000 last yr 41% of the respondents live in the suburbs ((affluence)) now go out and talk to the producers of products, stay out of the bars, (( we know that they will say what you want them to for a drink)) go to a sale barn coffee shop and listen to what they have to say, and see if they feel the economy is holding steady, see if folks feel $250 a ton for hay is reasonable, see if they feel a new set of tires for their truck should cost $1000, see if they feel they should be paying twice as much for farm fuel as the did a couple of yrs ago!
See if seeds and fertilizer prices should have doubled???

Then pull your head out of the dark warm hole you keep it in 99% of the time!!

Theres your problem- those folks don't know how to think....More profitable to get rid of the cows and sell the hay... Maybe thats the reason all the Montanans up here in $50 Ton feed country have enough money to all go down to Arizona and buy up all the mansions, vacation homes, and condiminiums to spend a couple weeks every winter in...... Trying to help out and save those poor Arizonians economy they let flop following GW's lead :wink: :p :lol:
Its called common sense...

Locally I don't think I've ever seen farmers and ranchers more optomistic-- lots of early moisture and record high cattle and grain prices seem to do that...

Then it leaves you out entirely oldtimer if it called common sense!!!

If Az waits for the MT folks to buy up all the real estate in the state we will have to wait a long time, not many of the $50.00 ton hay sellers can afford to cross the state line!!
You are totally clueless arnt you???
If it is such a great deal why is the housing market in AZ depressed???
keep your eyes closed when you have your head in that dark place. your eyes are getting browner

Oldtimer said:
Maybe thats the reason all the Montanans up here in $50 Ton feed country have enough money to all go down to Arizona and buy up all the mansions, vacation homes, and condiminiums to spend a couple weeks every winter in......
Locally I don't think I've ever seen farmers and ranchers more optomistic-- lots of early moisture and record high cattle and grain prices seem to do that...

Are you saying obama is the reason for the high prices these ranchers are getting..ssurely you wouldn't be so stupid to say that.

There you go again trying to base the state of the economy on one small segment.

Oh and the farmers were this enthusiastic ..it was in the 70's nd 80's just before the collapse of the farm economy. Remember when the farmers were going broke right and left.

But I beg to differon the enthusiasm of the farm economy. I was doing my taxes the other day and my accountant said the very opposite of what you say after seeing hundreds of ag returns that went through their office.
You can't tell me a drunk brand inspector knows more on person finances than an accountant that actually see the dollar figures.

ot I don't think you are a fool, but what's my opinion compared to that of thousands of others :wink: :lol:

I don't know how everyone else feels about the economy or how secure they feel about theit finances, but I am retired, I had expected to live on my savings. Now my savings are deterating.
I stil have my land, that's my shock absorber. Have had offers to buy at fairly good prices, but most want a 25 or 30 year contract. Would get enough annual payment to live on at the present time, but may not be enough in a few years. If there are a few bad years in the future can the buyer still make payments. If not where will I be. If there is unpaid taxes if that should happen they will revert back to me adding insult to injury. The economy has allready went way past center. I am not happy with our president, or our congress for that matter.

But all is well and good in MT, all of them are coming to AZ and buying multi million dollars homes,, They are all getting rich on $50.00 a ton alfalfa just ask oldtimer
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: We know he would never LIE

hopalong said:
But all is well and good in MT, all of them are coming to AZ and buying multi million dollars homes,, They are all getting rich on $50.00 a ton alfalfa just ask oldtimer especially with $3.89 fuel prices $4.29 diesel ...
Alfalfa Hay: Premium to Supreme large squares 185.00-210.00, small
squares 150.00-175.00; Good to Premium large squares 150.00-160.00, large
rounds 95.00-110.00, small squares 125.00-150.00; Good to Fair large rounds
75.00-95.00.

unlike oldtimer o will provide a link http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/bl_gr310.txt

:D :D :D

If you are going to lie oldtimer don't make it so easy to prove you are lying :D :D :D

Larrry said:
Are you saying obama is the reason for the high prices these ranchers are getting..ssurely you wouldn't be so stupid to say that.

Yes he is, as he has said Obama gets credit for high cattle prices simply because they happened under Obama's watch.

But then so did record high gas prices but yet the european economy get the blame for them. :wink: :roll:

hopalong said:
But all is well and good in MT, all of them are coming to AZ and buying multi million dollars homes,, They are all getting rich on $50.00 a ton alfalfa just ask oldtimer

Yep I don't know many who could get rich on selling fifty dollar hay.

Tam said:
Larrry said:

Yes he is, as he has said Obama gets credit for high cattle prices simply because they happened under Obama's watch.

But then so did record high gas prices but yet the european economy get the blame for them. :wink: :roll:

I gues you are right about ot. Anything positive that might happen is because of obama's action but if anything is bad it is Bush's fault. He's such a tool for the leftwingernuts

Oldtimer said:

What a bunch of BS. Road diesel hit 4 bucks here this morning, and unleaded isn't far behind. Had a short visit with my largest customer this afternoon. This guy doesn't even know for sure how many cows/calves/bulls/steers/heifers/replacements he owns, and he farms around 3500-4000 acres on top of that. Optomistic he was not, considering the price of inputs now. He figured he was better off when corn was around the $3/bushel price. Moisture can stop abruptly, and we all know prices can go in the crapper in a matter of hours/days.

Maybe Valley county is immune from drought and falling prices? $50/ton hay will hardly pay for the swathing, raking, and baling around here. Everything is sweetness and light when you look at it from a bottle of Crown, eh?

I went to craigslist for his area. Looked to me the cheapest hay in his area is around a 100 dollars a ton.

Even at that I would think there wouldn't be much profit in that with fuel and equipment prices. Sure not enough to retire to AZ.

Larrry said:
I went to craigslist for his area. Looked to me the cheapest hay in his area is around a 100 dollars a ton.

Even at that I would think there wouldn't be much profit in that with fuel and equipment prices. Sure not enough to retire to AZ.

The only hay I know of being listed on the internet is dairy hay....The last hay auction up here in December- good quality tested grass/alfalfa hay sold for $28.50 a bale- with each bale guaranteed to weigh between 1100 and 1250- which figures out just over $50 a Ton .....And since that we've had no real winter yet to make it more in demand...

Which is the reason that some with lots of extra haystacks sitting around have been hauling in cows from down south drought areas - either purchased or feeding them for people on contracts...One fella I know brought up a bunch of Texas 6666 Ranch cattle to run for three years-- another a couple of weeks ago hauled in 9 semi loads from a Nebraska lot (not sure of original origen) to calve out this spring.....

I bought some straw I'm feeding now from a fellow that hasn't even fed any of his this years hay yet- still has enough year and two year old hay and straw he's trying to use up- and that cost me $15 bale (1250 lb bale)- or less than $30 Ton..... Pretty cheap feed when mixed with some good quality hay...

Latest posts