• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Would like to brag about my niece

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
In the new March 2008 issue of The Western Horseman, my niece is featured in the "Young Horseman" section. Her mother is my youngest sister. There is a full page picture of the pretty young lady, and the article is written by Jennifer Denison.

Personality

TOP HAND

During Spring Break, you won't find 14-year-old Tori Vineyard hanging out at the mall or vacationing with her family on the beach. The teenager will be riding through pastures and looking for calving heifers on her family's cow-calf operation in Oshkosh, Nebraska.

Whether it's snowy or sunny, the cowgirl saddles her main mount, Lowrys Question, aka "Hank," and rides off to work beside her 12-year-old brother and roping partner, Terrel, and her father, Shawn.

"It's my favorite time of year," she says. "I love helping during calving and branding. It's peaceful outside. There aren't a lot of people--just us, our horses and the cattle."

Tori uses ranch work to help condition and train her horses. In addition to Hank, Tori also rides a barrel horse named Bing, and is training a three-year-old colt she started with the help of her dad.

"We spent a lot of time sacking him out and getting him used to the saddle," she recalls. "I put the first ride on him, and he didn't do anything. Starting a colt really taught me patience."

Juggling schoolwork, sports and daily chores leaves Tori with little time to ride during the week, but she makes up for it on weekends and during school breaks. Once all the ranch work is done, she heads to the arena, where she practices roping and other timed events for upcoming rodeos. The eighth-grader is in her last year of eligibility within the Wrangler Junior High Division of the National High School Rodeo Association.

This year, the all-around cowgirl will vie for a top-four state ranking in one of her events, which qualifies her to compete at the Wrangler Junior High National Finals in Gallup, New Mexico.

Anyway, I feel privileged to get to brag a little. Tori, we are very proud of you. :)

Aren't ranch raised girls great :!:

We saw some pictures of her out caking calves. Quite the worker. Those cake bags looked as heavy as she did. :shock:

Latest posts