• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

WOW!!! Land Prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder

Reaction score
In our area today 3- 80acre fields sold. 8400, 8300, 7600. This is not for development just row crops.

feeder said:
In our area today 3- 80acre fields sold. 8400, 8300, 7600. This is not for development just row crops.

I guess you mean 3...... 80 acre fields sold for $8400 ,$8300 & $7600 an acre,thats about the going rate around here too feeder,and most of it aint suitable for anything except outdoor recreation............good luck

PS aint it hell ta be land rich and cash poor :D

Thanks for clarifying that for me, Haymaker. It is in the northwest corner of Iowa. It should yield 180-230 bushels of corn per acre. Land rich and cash poor is an understatement around this farm this year. Next year will be better, right? Stay dry Haymaker, we have been watching your weather forecasts.

About enough to make a fella put up the land he owns and retire.. Yowza.. Most land awround here is only brining 5k an acre tops and a lot of it is sitting out there waiting to be bought at those prices When I think that this place didn't even bring 2k an acre on average 8 years ago makes you think.. Most of our land is being driving by development or recreation.. Develops are buying the closer in farms and the land owners are redirecting the money out here to either farm or to shelter the earnings.

Believe me,I have thought about selling more than once,but then what ? what would you do all day ? there aint a thing in this world I rather be doing than ranching,good Lord willing......I will die with my boots on around an ole cow pen :wink:
good luck

I'm with you, Haymaker.

I hang on to my place for my kids and theirs. You couldn't replace this ranching lifestyle with any amout of money. It's just money.

Waht would I do all day? Sit on Ranchers.net and pick fights, lol..

Nope, don't think i would sell out to retire or anything like that but if someone got goofy and offered me enough money that I could go and buy another place where I could run cattle in the same rough numbers that we have now I would be gooofy to say no.. Don't think anyone is knocking on the door to try to buy this place for 8k an acre either though. :)

I've always had torn feelings on this one. Part of me never wants to see this place out of our family. Part of me would like to take every dollar I can get for this cactus infested, sand-blown, creepin' cedar patch and move up to Northern's part of the country where I saw my own bootprints contain 8-10 different species of grass or legumes. And as for land prices, we bought land from my folks for $100/acre, and could sell it for $6-900/acre easily since it's within a mile of town. There's hardly any topsoil here, and the cropland my folks have left is going to be real hard to get forage established in when it's time for us to buy it. But for the life of me, with all of these things in mind, when my wife asks me why we don't sell and move, I don't know why I just look at her and say, "'Cause this is Home."

I think we could see a hiccup in these prices because of the turmoil in the credit markets. Now land in Iowa or whatever maybe different, but I say a lot of the recreational buyers paying $7500 an acre in central Texas will be gone and in fact trying to liquidate as this credit contraction marches on over the next year or two. Banks will be really tightening up on these buyers as the feds come in and look over all the lax lending practices that led to doctors and lawyers buying spreads with little down and just stated income applications.

Shoot, buddy!! I'd sell out in a flash and buy me an island in the tropics.

Be nice to me and you can come visit!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

kolanuraven said:

It's a deal, sugar! But the first time you turn on the ginger, YOU'RE GONE!

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Maple Leaf Angus said:
kolanuraven said:

My island....my rules. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kolanuraven said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:
kolanuraven said:

Well I can see we already have encountered some significant barriers. You are obviously going to have to learn to negotiate.

Maple Leaf Angus said:
kolanuraven said:
Maple Leaf Angus said:

Well I can see we already have encountered some significant barriers. You are obviously going to have to learn to negotiate.

Yes Maple leaf,wonder if kola ,has heard about "love honor and obey" :D :D ..............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Yes Maple leaf,wonder if kola ,has heard about "love honor and obey" :D :D ..............good luck

For some reason "love, honor, and obey" are just not the words that come to mind when thinking of Kola.. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
HAY MAKER said:

For some reason "love, honor, and obey" are just not the words that come to mind when thinking of Kola.. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Well,maybe she is one of them head strong women I been hearing about :wink: ................good luck & goodnite,bout time to head upstairs.

Ohh anyplace new is nice to visit PureCountry-my grass can't be that good-it's 20 years old- I don't use any ferttilizer and it's dead everywhere I balegraze lol. I should of took you up along the river to Campbell's I just went by a jackpine sand field that they fed across it had ALOT of grass

Oldtimer said:
HAY MAKER said:

The ' love and honor' part....got that covered..

But that ' obey' business...ahhhhh....we'd have a problem there!!!!!

Latest posts