• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Yeast culture in mineral or in general

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I remember the discussion - - - that is what made me ask the feed supplier I use about it - - - but I can't remember what topic we were discussing that brought it up, Sorry

Mike.............Juan, I went to a seminar last year on "Feeding the Bugs" in cattle. The speaker said there were 2 distinct strains of cattle rumen bugs. One for starch and one for roughage (cellulose). He went on to say that the two are basically incompatible, or, they do not get along well in the same rumen environment Thus the reason for either feeding a cow on full feed or feed them only 3-5 lbs of grain per day. You will always have both but one will always be predominant above the other.

It usually takes a month to convert cattle from one bug to the other and for her to become adjusted and gaing well. This is why there is always a "warm-up" period at the feedyard or in a bull test.

A little experiment for the nonbelievers......Feed your cows 5 lbs. of corn per day then turn some hogs in behind them.the hogs will eat the cow manure and get ,shall we say "hog fat"? All that nice starch going thru like $hit thru a goose. :( :( :(

I read few years ago that there was an experimental farm somewhere in Europe that was 11 stories tall and had farm animals on each level. They only fed the top level ones.

The animals manure would feed the animals directly below them with the hogs getting last pickings on the bottom.

Don't remember what animals were on what floor except for the hogs were last to eat.

Yum Yum :wink:

Dont mix salt with your minerals. Reason is the salt levels in minerals are designed to control consumption. If you add salt to your mineral you are diluting the minerals to where you might as well not feed minerals. Most minerals are set up for a 1-2 ounce per day intake or a 2-4 ounce per day intake depending on place and kind of mineral.

Latest posts