• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Yellow Labs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

theHiredMansWife

Reaction score
She says labs are notorious over eaters and somewhat overbred

She's probably right. But I think labs also tend to be one of those breeds where you can still trust the vast majority with your kids. Even if they are fat. :wink:

On a side note: Temple Grandin is a prof over at CSU in Ft. Collins. One of the guys that does day help for us took a seminar from her one time. "She's really weird ya know... She can be kind of hard to follow."

I asked if he knew she was autistic.

"Autistic?"

yeah, like Rainman. That's why she's "weird".

"No sh*t?! Rainman's teachin' college?!" :lol:

(And not only has she changed the way people think about livestock handling, she's also opened up doors for autistic research, as well. The world was pretty lucky she was never institutionalized.)

Frankly, I think she's mistaken on a few things, too. But, the fact that she has come up with theories means people need to stop and consider why they might be right or wrong. Instead of just doing it this way because that's how dad and grandpa both did. :wink:

Reader,

What exactly does she mean when she says Overbred? Most labs I have seen tend to be great family dogs, I have yet to see a dog that won't overeat given the chance. Fat dogs tend to have owner problems, LOL,

PPRM

What is the name of her book?

Sounds interesting to say the least.

Another breed of dog I don' think you can hardly go wrong with as
far as a good family dog is Golden Retreiver. We have never had one, but know folks who have and they are wayyyy cool dogs.

FH,

I had a boss with a Golden Retriever and it was both beautiful and a great family dog.

One thing I would say on both breeds, tho I feel the Golden Retriever is more active, they are both active. Make sure plenty of Yard as they neeed to work off energy. Not as much as a Border Collie, but still active. If you don't have kids, maybe 2 isn't a bad idea. They can work out thier energy on each other, LOL,

Good Luck,

PPRM

As a kid, we found an abandoned Adult Irish Setter. We couldn't keep him, but he would have been a great dog. He was a snake hunting snake killing dog. They said he was more like the original pure line that was a great hunting dog. The guy we gave him to was a hunter and loved him,

PPRM

Both labs and retrievers have been overbred in that it is hard to find one that can be used for its orginal purpose.. Well, not hard but there are a lot of substandard ones out there these days. I know of a few papered labs in the states that looked more like yellow pointers than labs and were scared of the water... Great family dogs still but not great dogs if you were looking for a real lab. This can be said about a lot of breeds of dogs however. Around here for years it was stay away from Chocolate labs because the color became real popular and the breeding was very indiscrimante... Lots of joint problems if what my vet tellls me is true.

The one warning I have about labs (And the next dog I will get is a lab) is the good natured 4 year old dog that likes to sleep and play fetch barely resembles the 3 month old puppy that destroys everything in its path, of course, this is true with most any dog breed (Some just never grow out of that stage :wink:

I am fortunate to live in Bird Hunting Country. If I were to get a Lab, there's lots of very reputable breeders of Hunting Dogs. My understanding is that Irish Setters were also originally hunting dogs, but bred out of the vast majority. Too bad, as the one I talked about above was a great dog,

PPRM

BTW,

I knew a guy that had a Border collie that was a pretty good Bird Hunting Dog,

PPRM

Latest posts