• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

YIKES!!! Look at this beast!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
Nearly grabbed this bugger while picking weeds outta my garden! Glad I didn't grab hold of him cuz they are poison! It is a Texas or Giant Red Headed Centipede! Hard to tell from the picture but this one was about 6 inches long and inch and a half wide with his legs. First one that I have ever seen and hopefully my last! I have enough trouble watching out for scorpions I don't need to be on the look out for these now to but apparently I have to! Eeeek! After looking online it says there sting or bite is similar to a bee or wasp, but I've had local ranchers around here tell me that they know for a fact they can kill a cat and one guy said that he had one in a bucket and he dropped in 5 mice and it killed those mice in less than a minute! Don't sound like nothing I want biting me!!!! Another guy told me that a gal here as a kid had one run across her face in the night and now she has permanent scars from it cuz they have some sort of poison or acid in their legs. Not sure I can verify that online, but yet another reason to not go near these things!!!! Anyone else have any experience with these??

Centipede2.jpg

Centipede.jpg

per said:
That is one of the reasons I embrace living with 7 months of winter. :shock:

My thoughts exactly. One more piece of proof that country that sees temps above 100F is not fit for animal or human habitation! Leave it to the bugs!
Up here the ground doesn't shake, the wind doesn't move buildings, critturs aren't poisonous.... anyway, that bug just confirms what I suspected all along :shock:

Faster horses said:
I think it's just a regular ole' little bitty centipede and you
scared him.
:wink:

ok well why don't you come down here and catch the little begger and haul him out of my garden next time....i think you'll end up screaming like a 9 year old school girl and turn tail and run.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

TXTibbs said:
HAY MAKER said:
Be careful........dont let that damn thang run up your pants leg.
good luck

Have you had experience with these vermin?? I have heard stories from Kendall County and none of them good! They are just nasty creatures!

Nope never been bit by one,if they bite as bad as they are ugly,would'nt be a good thing.
There's all kinda things that bite scratch and stick in Texas,you just met one of them,farther south you head the worse it gets,had a damn big ole trantula jump on me one morning in the outhouse,the old outhouse was rickety anyway and by the time I got that spider off old outhouse was unrepairible.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
TXTibbs said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

Have you had experience with these vermin?? I have heard stories from Kendall County and none of them good! They are just nasty creatures!

Nope never been bit by one,if they bite as bad as they are ugly,would'nt be a good thing.
There's all kinda things that bite scratch and stick in Texas,you just met one of them,farther south you head the worse it gets,had a damn big ole trantula jump on me one morning in the outhouse,the old outhouse was rickety anyway and by the time I got that spider off old outhouse was unrepairible.
good luck

:) :) :) :) :)

HAY MAKER said:
TXTibbs said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

good luck

Thats why in Texas I've learned when in the bush its best to use the weeds as yur wipe instead of humping up in some rickety outhouse....them things are just a harbor'er of vermin! meaning ringtails, centipedes, tranchula's, rats, scorpions....all which things are not what you want to encounter when your pinching a loaf! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops: :p

Ohhhhhhh Yeah!!!!!!! Have encountered many many of them in my younger years growin up in West Texas.

First time....I was about 4 years old. We moved into a brick house my uncle had built next to my grandma's. I don't know what it was about that place but we COULD NOT get rid of the scorpions and centipedes! Ok...long about 2am or so I hadda go to the bathroom. Got up...went down the hall......sittin there mindin my own business when THERE HE WAS...... :shock: crawlin along the floor and wall right in front of me. Headed towards the tub. I screamed....and screamed....put my feet up on the toilet seat....woke everyone in the whole house up and they all came runnin....I looked up to find my three brothers, mom and dad all stickin their head in the bathroom door. Dad got a mason jar and put him in it. Took it to work...someone had brought a trantula in a jar...and they put them together. The trantula killed it amazingly enough. Them things have stingers on every leg. This one measured 9 inches...and was black.

Wasnt unusual to find them under a piece of wood.....or just about anything layin around. So watch out...I've heard nasty things about the bites/stings being like gettin popped by a stingin scorpion over and over again.

See I knew Jersey would have had some sort of past with these red headed beasts! Can't say it wouldn't of been funny tho to see her dancing on the toilet with one of these monsters squirming about at her feet!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But yeah one of them biting you just don't seem like much fun....if you see one in person they tend to put a fright into you and your a bit jumpy for a while after wards....nasty little creatures....why on earth do they have to get so big???

I have no idea. But am glad I haven't seen one in the 21 years I've lived here. We do have small ones.....oh..maybe 1 1/2 inches long...them I feel comfortable enough to just step on em and squish em.....them one's like you posted...will make you run! Ugly, skeery..prehistoric lookin critters. Uhgggggg!!!!!

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I have no idea. But am glad I haven't seen one in the 21 years I've lived here. We do have small ones.....oh..maybe 1 1/2 inches long...them I feel comfortable enough to just step on em and squish em.....them one's like you posted...will make you run! Ugly, skeery..prehistoric lookin critters. Uhgggggg!!!!!

yes they are and FAST....I was amazed at the speed and agility of the beast.....had me dancing some pretty fancy moves until I could get things under control!

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Ohhhhhhh Yeah!!!!!!! Have encountered many many of them in my younger years growin up in West Texas.

First time....I was about 4 years old. We moved into a brick house my uncle had built next to my grandma's. I don't know what it was about that place but we COULD NOT get rid of the scorpions and centipedes! Ok...long about 2am or so I hadda go to the bathroom. Got up...went down the hall......sittin there mindin my own business when THERE HE WAS...... :shock: crawlin along the floor and wall right in front of me. Headed towards the tub. I screamed....and screamed....put my feet up on the toilet seat....woke everyone in the whole house up and they all came runnin....I looked up to find my three brothers, mom and dad all stickin their head in the bathroom door.

Was that anything like a table dance :???:

Latest posts