• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

You All Don't Realize

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cedardell

Reaction score
Our government doesn't work. That's why all of them are resigning. You are waisting your time arguing about govt. policy. So all the arguments here are superfulous. Our opinion doesn't matter. So why the hell do we keep paying our taxes? To support gay or perverted govt. officials?

I'd like to give this puppet an award too- and I know where he can stick his awards......

------------------------------------------------------

9/4/2007 6:16:00 AM

Johanns To Receive NMA's Forbes Award

The National Meat Association board of directors voted Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns the winner of its annual E. Floyd Forbes award.

"The secretary inherited a blockade of export trade for meat, and his efforts have opened and are continuing to open the export markets for U.S. meat," NMA President Jim Maxey said after the board voted at its summer convention in Santa Fe, N.M.

Johanns will receive the award in February 2008 at the association's winter conference in Monterey, Calif.

The E. Floyd Forbes Award is named in honor of NMA's first president and is the organization's highest award. In February 2007, the award went to BPI President Eldon Roth.

Go ahead, OT, just destroy the whole beef processing and distribution and sales infrastructure in this country and force it all to be processed and sold locally.

Get even with those nasty international corporate businesses!

That is what some of your friends are promoting with their "Eat Local" and "Slow Food" promotions, isn't it?

mrj

Were not directed soley at the beef industry. But rather at the whole govt. Payoffs in the form of lobbying money and bribes and campaign contributions have ruined our govt. Our governor gets his campaign funding from Sicily, but nobody seems to care. He got re-elected because he was a Democrat and the former governor was a crook too and is headed to jail. So look who runs the show. I guess it's the same all over. Yet we pay them one hell of a wage for all this.

That is what some of your friends are promoting with their "Eat Local" and "Slow Food" promotions, isn't it?

mrj

How dare I become an independent producer/retailer and sell LOCALLY to consumers that are asking for my product?!?!?! :mad: I guess I should just fall in line, close my eyes, and stick my head up a packers A$$....the NCBA way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

RM, I have no problem with people like yourself who choose to offer a product locally. And I've stated it similarly previously.

Your juvenille, ridiculous characterization of NCBA members is tiresome. Maybe if you were to actually help, through an organization, to solve challenges the cattle/beef industry faces, you wouldn't feel so frustrated.

The problem is with modern day 'flower children' who insist (and lobby government to achieve their ends) that we all MUST eat a locally produced diet.

Proclaiming to the world that all non-local foods are bad, and all local foods are good is deceptive, at best.

Have you never peeked into the kitchen of some small, local cafe?

Some are excellent, and others are downright dangerous.

How many MORE bureaucrats is it going to require to even attempt inspections of a 'local' processing, distribution, and sales system for food in this nation?

All I ask is that some of you consider. that when you trash the current system, which while not perfect, is improving, as verified by the dropping number of illnesses.

Don't forget the increased efforts by industry to find solutions to e. coli and other illness causing 'bugs', many of which are naturally ocurring and from other sources besides our food animals, therefore even more difficult to control.

mrj

MRJ wrote: Have you never peeked into the kitchen of some small, local cafe?

Being "local" has nothing to do with being clean or not.

To say that is the definition of ignorance.

Our local newspaper publishes the "Restaurant Health Inspection" scores each week.

The majority of the lowest scores are in the multinational franchises.

Mostly the fast food ones. :roll:

I erred on using the word "small", too, as some of the "finest" get horrible marks on their inspections.

However, some people would have us believe it is ONLY the largest food producers, processors, retailers who FAIL to keep food clean and safe.
You are fortunate that they are published. It isn't done routinely, though it is probably available through Freedom of Information.

My point: the mantra and push toward using only local and 'slow' foods isn't accurate when implying or claiming safety is a keystone benefit of "local" food.

mrj

MRJ, "All I ask is that some of you consider. that when you trash the current system, which while not perfect, is improving, as verified by the dropping number of illnesses."

Inspections are going down and the system is improving?

MRJ, "Don't forget the increased efforts by industry to find solutions to e. coli and other illness causing 'bugs', many of which are naturally ocurring and from other sources besides our food animals, therefore even more difficult to control."

Don't forget the efforts of "the industry" and USDA that refuse to track the pathogens to the source of the contamination and hold them responsible. There is no reason why a single pound of product should leave a processer with e.coli, much less tons if it - with the USDA inspected label on the package no less......

Food Poisoning Scandals Erode Consumer Confidence and Food Industry Profits
Date Published: Wednesday, September 5th, 2007

Food poisoning scares have made most Americans far less trusting of the US food supply. According to two recent surveys of American attitudes on food safety, recent outbreaks of Salmonella, E. coli and other food borne illnesses tied to peanut butter, snack foods, meat and fresh spinach have raised concerns among consumers that the food they eat might be dangerous. And now, those fears are being reflected in the bottom lines of the country's largest food producers.

National Pasteurized Eggs surveyed 2,500 Americans about their attitudes regarding food safety and found that 93-percent are more concerned about food borne illness this year than they have been in previous years. Ninety-six percent said that media reports of food poisoning outbreaks had influenced their perceptions of food safety issues. A second study by the Food Marketing Institute found that only 66-percent of American shoppers are confident that the food they buy is safe. Thirty-eight percent of those surveyed said they had stopped buying items that had been linked to food poisoning outbreaks.

These findings are not surprising, considering the number of food poisoning scandals US consumers have endured in the last year. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), there are 76 million cases of food borne illnesses every year in the US, 5,000 of which result in fatalities. In the past year, large scale food poisoning outbreaks have been in the news almost constantly. Last summer, E. coli-tainted fresh spinach sickened more than 200 people and killed three. In February, Con Agra's Peter Pan and Great Value Peanut Butters left more than 600 people ill with Salmonella poisoning. An outbreak of botulism this summer was traced to contaminated hot dog chili sauces produced by the Castleberry's Food Company. Other outbreaks of both E. coli and Salmonella have been linked to meats, snack mixes, pet food, tomatoes and lettuce. In this light, it's easy to see why consumers are feeling a little queasy when it comes to their food.

And that lack of confidence is hurting profits at some of the nation's biggest food producers. ConAgra saw its profits drop substantially after the peanut butter Salmonella debacle. Last week, Proctor & Gamble blamed recalls of its pet foods for low quarterly profits posted by its snacks, coffee and pet care unit. Even companies not implicated in a food poisoning outbreak still suffer because of them. Chiquita Brands, Inc. has said that sales of its Fresh Express bagged salads have yet to recover from last year's spinach E. coli outbreak because consumers are now less trusting of any bagged greens.

Now, the food industry is scrambling to restore consumer confidence, but it could be a tough sell, as reports of tainted foods make it into the news every day. Just last week, more bagged fresh spinach was recalled after it was found to be contaminated with Salmonella. And an outbreak of E. coli in the Pacific Northwest resulted in the recall of tons of ground beef distributed by Interstate Meats of Oregon. Companies have increased inspections and added to their food safety research budgets, but until the recalls and outbreak stops, these steps will have little effect on consumer confidence.

mrj said:
Have you never peeked into the kitchen of some small, local cafe?

Some are excellent, and others are downright dangerous.

How many MORE bureaucrats is it going to require to even attempt inspections of a 'local' processing, distribution, and sales system for food in this nation?

mrj

mrj,

I am sure you did not mean that to sound how I read it....Not only is my Direct Marketed Beef Processed at a USDA Plant (By Law, but I still like the place best).....A Retired USDA Inspector that has been in a variety of Plants thoughout this nation told me it was the Cleanest plant he has ever been around...The Couple have owned the Business for 40 Years.....The Cleanliness is the first thing my Wife noticed when we looked at this facility.......I am just disagreeing with the Wide Brush your statemnt was painting....

BTW...The Owners wouldn't take nonambulatory animals even when it was allowed...In thier USDA plant or thier Farm Butcher business...Bud told me, "The meat has a Slimy texture and I won't be a part of that getting on someones Plate"...

I am supportive of a variety of measures to increase the safety of our Beef Supply...Like Creekstone being allowed to test at their expense for BSE......More testing for E-coli. I worked in Food processing for 10 years, much of it as a Quality Assurance Supervisor....Increased testing would reduce the size of these recalls and likely help people reciognize problems before they become such.......The event that caused it is fresher in the minds of employees and they start being proactive next time they see it...

And I definetly agree we need to be on guard against what some of the "Eat Local Only" crowd is professing...Though, i would like to see People in New York City Survive only on what is grown within that cities limits, LOL

PPRM

US food guidlines killed the beef industry 15 years ago. Now they have decided that what we were supposed to eat is worse for us than beef. So anyone out there mad about that? Or has everyone forgot the trashing govt. gave beef. The surgeon general, Calderone, even resigned because he was told what to say. Says our govt. is all politics, lies, not facts.

cedardell said:
US food guidlines killed the beef industry 15 years ago. Now they have decided that what we were supposed to eat is worse for us than beef. So anyone out there mad about that? Or has everyone forgot the trashing govt. gave beef. The surgeon general, Calderone, even resigned because he was told what to say. Says our govt. is all politics, lies, not facts.

Where have you been?????????? I've been ranting about this since I've been on here. The facts are that the edible oil industry had to demonize animal fats to be able to sell their garbage. Saturated fats were linked to all kinds of health problems, BUT there was no distinction made between saturated animal fats and hydrogenated vegetable oils (artificially made to physically resemble animal fats, but molecularly wrong). More research is starting to show that these artificial fats were causing the problems that were being blamed on animals fats (particularly BEEF).

You can find all kinds of research with variable conclusions on this debate. But what solidifies my opinion against the artificial fats is that our bodies/genes have had thousands of years of adaptation with a high percentage of saturated animal fats in our diet. Our bodies know how to utilize saturated animal fats ( of course, unless you eat them to extremes or have a genetic or physical irregularity). The other fact is that the rise in chronic health problems parallels the percentage increase in these artificial saturated fats in our diet.

My rub with NCA/NCBA is that these facts have been there and they have chosen not to believe the researchers that have been making the claims against the artificial fats. Instead they have accepted what the government and the corporate food industry told them and the beef industry, particularly the beef producers, have suffered/declined since the late 70s! :mad:

I'll ask the question again...If saturated animal fats are responsible for killing people, why has it started doing it in the last 100 years and not the thousands before???????????????????????

mrj said:
Your juvenille, ridiculous characterization of NCBA members is tiresome. Maybe if you were to actually help, through an organization, to solve challenges the cattle/beef industry faces, you wouldn't feel so frustrated.

mrj

MRJ, what organization can we as cattle producers join, to help solve challenges, the cattle industry faces?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

mrj said:
Go ahead, OT, just destroy the whole beef processing and distribution and sales infrastructure in this country and force it all to be processed and sold locally.

Get even with those nasty international corporate businesses!

mrj said:
RM, I have no problem with people like yourself who choose to offer a product locally. And I've stated it similarly previously.

mrj, you can't have it both ways...my business is "Eat Local" and "Slow Food" promotes what I do because NCBA won't! Conventional industry is driving consumers away because they won't address the concerns consumers have. Over the last thirty years, beef has lost 40% of its market share...poultry has doubled its per capita consumption. By anybodies measuring stick, NCBA has failed as "the voice of the cattle industry"!! :mad:

mrj said:
Your juvenille, ridiculous characterization of NCBA members is tiresome.

My comments aren't directed at individual members...but at NCBA leadership and policy.

mrj said:

It is my understanding that any business that is involved in handling and processing/cooking food for resale to the general public is inspected by someone. To answer your question...for the beef industry, as many as it takes!!!!!

MRJ, what organization can we as cattle producers join, to help solve challenges, the cattle industry faces?

Best Regards

Maybe we have to go inside the exisiting Ben. I have sent in my nomination papers for ABP/CCA.

rkaiser said:

Best Regards

Maybe we have to go inside the exisiting Ben. I have sent in my nomination papers for ABP/CCA.

Get me a "Kaiser for President" bumper sticker and I'll proudly display it. :lol:

rkaiser said:

Best Regards

Great idea Randy, after thinking about your post, I called and joined the NCBA....A dark cloud came over the farm, and the earth trembled for a moment, but all is ok now. I'm looking forward to all of those meetings. Maybe in time we can hold meetings on the 49th.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

I hope you aren't playing with my mind Ben Roberts. If you did actually see the earth tremble this afternoon, we have a lot of work to do. My zone is one of only two in our province that will be holding an election. My first chance to bring forward a platform built around a new direction for CCA and NCBA. When I move past the point of being a delegate, I will run from the floor at the AGM for the position of director at large. I will also run for a position on the CCA board once I become an ABP director.

They give us room for 75 words in our introduction as candidates in the fall publications. I cut my personal intro short to make room for a invitation to the apathetic.

Randy Kaiser
Cow/Calf for over thirty years, purebred for 17. 200 registered cows and finishing about 150 head for non conventional markets.
I have many reasons for running which I will present in my election speech, (endorsed by my good friend Ben Roberts) none of which include joining a team that believes a perceived notion of a trickle down of profits to producers if we agree with all of the wants and needs of the packing industry. See you all at the fall meetings. Bring a smile.

Latest posts