• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

You paid for a dog??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Heel Fly

Reaction score
I said that I would never pay for a dog, but I got sick of bad ones so I paid a whole lot for this little girl. We got to watch her mother and her aunt work yesterday and WOW. I didn't know they could do that!! These two women had their dogs doing things that are hard to do horseback. The best part is that they said I could bring Belle back and they would help me with training.
Belle001.jpg

Belle002.jpg

I guess it's like paying for a horse, you aren't garunteed that a Smart Little Lena bred horse will cut, but your chances are better then if you bought a Zip Choc. I sure hope she works as good as those that we saw.

What a doll!
What is she? My guess is either border or Aussie...

Our first working dog was a BC that came from parents who were litterally the breeder's right hand. The three of them could clean out a section or two of fairly rough pasture by themselves.

We never taught Bax anything. He taught us. Who knows how good he might have been had we actually known how to use him better. You've probably got a right hand in the making. :)

She is a reg. Border. Smart little thing I've had her for less then 24 hrs. and she won't leave my side. Well,she's been herding my house cat, that's pretty funny. I tried to size down the bottom picture but it still posts big, any ideas why it won't size down??

Heel Fly said:
I tried to size down the bottom picture but it still posts big, any ideas why it won't size down??

I always resize in my photo software. Somewhere you should have a pull down option of "resize".
How did you shrink the top one, though?

Smart little thing
there's a bumper sticker: My border collie is smarter than your honor student. :wink:

She really looks like shes got what it takes.

Good luck and keep us posted, heel fly. The fun is just beginning!!

I don't think the border collie trainers think you should work the BC
on cattle til they are a year old. But sheep are different I believe.
Have you any knowledge of this to set me straight?

Faster horses said:
She really looks like shes got what it takes.

Good luck and keep us posted, heel fly. The fun is just beginning!!

I don't think the border collie trainers think you should work the BC
on cattle til they are a year old. But sheep are different I believe.
Have you any knowledge of this to set me straight?
In the past,used ducks on the real young ones.They herd up like sheep plus you can see over animals while training.Best tool I have found on pups is a long stick with a peice of inner tube tied on end.They learn the side commands while chasing it in circles

On a pup, first cost is insignificant - even if you pay alot (not that high prices guarantee a good dog). Its so important to get a good pup because you're going to get attached to your dog good or bad.

Brad S you are right good or bad we seem to fall in love with them. I had a border/heeler/dalmation(when I got him it was a hint of heeler, later I called her and she let loose about the dalmation.) That dog was a usefull as teats on a boar, but he was mine and I loved him. He died at 9 and it felt like one of my childeren had died. I bawled for weeks and to this day I get all choked up talkin about him. But for what I paid for this pup I have to love her. Mr. Heel Fly said that I could have gotten a pretty nice rifle for that money. :roll:

Latest posts