• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

You're Welcome

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Just got on here and see there still is something about the BSE situation that hasn't been touched on, that I know of.

Before going into th small amount I know about that, I do want to say I deplore the treatment on this website of Canadian ranchers, who are VICTIMS of this mess, not perpetrators as some of you on this site seem to regard them. Competition is supposed to sharpen our business skills, and force us to improve our own product and efficiency, not turn us into bullies and jerks!

How many of you knew of the effort to 'de-populate' and cattle that had been imported from England, maybe other countries, too, because of the possibility that those imported cattle might be carriers?

I know that there were MANY seedstock producers in the USA who took a very hard hit well before the Canadians' luck of the draw gave them the first BSE on this continent. I believe there were some producers in Canada who refused to depopulate their imported cattle, so possibly that was the source, though I've never seen any information to that effect that I recall.

I am very sure that the procedures for keeping sources of POSSIBLE contamination out of our food supply and the sharing of information with the public had much to do with the calm public acceptance of BSE cows in this country. It wasn't such a shock to them, having been discussed at length by many in the Universities and medical communities before we had one.

mrj

mrj said:
Just got on here and see there still is something about the BSE situation that hasn't been touched on, that I know of.

Before going into th small amount I know about that, I do want to say I deplore the treatment on this website of Canadian ranchers, who are VICTIMS of this mess, not perpetrators as some of you on this site seem to regard them. Competition is supposed to sharpen our business skills, and force us to improve our own product and efficiency, not turn us into bullies and jerks!

How many of you knew of the effort to 'de-populate' and cattle that had been imported from England, maybe other countries, too, because of the possibility that those imported cattle might be carriers?

I know that there were MANY seedstock producers in the USA who took a very hard hit well before the Canadians' luck of the draw gave them the first BSE on this continent. I believe there were some producers in Canada who refused to depopulate their imported cattle, so possibly that was the source, though I've never seen any information to that effect that I recall.

I am very sure that the procedures for keeping sources of POSSIBLE contamination out of our food supply and the sharing of information with the public had much to do with the calm public acceptance of BSE cows in this country. It wasn't such a shock to them, having been discussed at length by many in the Universities and medical communities before we had one.

mrj

mrj, this post, with it's "well-chosen" language, stands as a discredit to the person that I consider you to be.

I, for one, have come to depend on you for presenting facts and solid information, not "effort", supposition and conjecture.

burnt said:
Sandhusker said:
You were treated the same as the prior 22 countries who found BSE. Our rules were in place long before - everything was written. It was all based on the knowledge of the disease at that time.

What you seem to miss completely is that your industry benefited from our excruciating experience in many ways.

I remember saying at the time that we were the shock troops and when you would discover your own BSE cases, it would be treated as nothing, and I was correct.

So what the hell were we supposed to do? Make an exception exclusively for you that we didn't for anybody else and go completely against the policies that were established to keep people/cattle safe from the disease - thus putting everything at risk?

If it is any consolation to you Canadians, I quit my membership with R-Calf over the deal. I thought their actions were completely selfish, and they were living in a pretty big glass house to be throwing rocks. Like Big Muddy once said concerning me and my relatives who have ranched in Canada, I was "just a wagon ride" away from living there myself. He was right.

Good news on quitting RCalf. I commend you for it.

The question is not what you were supposed to do, it's what are you supposed to do now?
I'd like to know if anyone in your country actually appreciates what our pain and suffering have prevented them from having to live through?
Do they appreciate all the Canadian soldiers who died in Afghanistan?
Do they appreciate the oil they are burning in their cars?
Do they appreciate the fact that those on the other side of the longest undefended border in the world are on their side, and not trying to blow them up?
Does anyone in your country appreciate anything that others have done for them?

Or do they just care about themselves, and to h*&^ with everybody else?

Kato said:

The question is not what you were supposed to do, it's what are you supposed to do now?
I'd like to know if anyone in your country actually appreciates what our pain and suffering have prevented them from having to live through?
Do they appreciate the fact that those on the other side of the longest undefended border in the world are on their side, and not trying to blow them up?

Love thy neighbor as thyself. You are our neighbor, and a mighty wonderful neighbor at that. :wink:

Kato said:

First lemme say ole soap did the right thing and several others did the same.
Kato put your big girl panties on and drop this bse bull there were no winners in this deal 'NONE'
And all it will do is stir up old hard feeelings that should be left buried
Your soldiers are defending all the free world including Canada and so are the Brits/Aussie's/French and the United States.
And we been down the oil lumber road more than once.
Now practise what you preach, friendliness and good will.......... be a good neighbor.
good luck

Soapweed said:
If it is any consolation to you Canadians, I quit my membership with R-Calf over the deal. I thought their actions were completely selfish, and they were living in a pretty big glass house to be throwing rocks. Like Big Muddy once said concerning me and my relatives who have ranched in Canada, I was "just a wagon ride" away from living there myself. He was right.

We too, quit R-Calf and this site had a lot to do with it. It
came about much from reading
Bull Session at the time and what was written there by a few posters (SH in particular). I understood things I hadn't earlier...

We truly are sorry that Canadian stockmen took it on the chin.
We have many good friends in Canada and we find most all Canadians
to be very friendly, caring people. I always say you can't have too
many friends. And that goes for a country as well as people.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. It's good to hear there are nice people left in the world.

Haymaker, I'm not trying to stir up hard feelings. Yesterday was the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, and in this country, the fallout is still going on. I'm just trying to point out the fact that what happened to us prevented the same thing from happening to you last month when they found that cow in California. The timing was a little too much of a coincidence, struck a nerve, and it made people up here feel like what we went through has been passed off.

Funny thing about anniversaries, they are reminders of both the good and the bad. I'm looking forward to the first anniversary of the day we sell a two thousand dollar cow.

:wink:

kato, Im betting you will be selling lotsa 2K cows before it's over, you know Life has always reminded me of sitting in a high stakes poker game, play the cards you're dealt and have very little time for adjustment.
I have set in more than my share of poker games and the one thing I always relied on was tenacity, everything else was "luck of the Draw"
Hang it there girl, you'll be alright.
Other option is "fold" cattlemen dont fold easy when the stakes are high.
good luck

burnt, and other Canadians, my intent certainly was not to insult, injure, or harm you in any way. It was to point out that BSE was a terrible thing those involved in animal health, whether as ranchers on boards of animal health, veterinatirans, or scientists in our Universities, worked as hard as they could to prevent.

Depopulating some imported herds was one method used, with varied success. We don't know why BSE happened in Canada, and not as much in the USA, but I feel it is possible the stringent culling of those imported herds in the USA could have had an effect. Granted, it may have been something else, entirely, but who knows what that was???

Re. how grateful, or not, people in the USA are for all Canadians have done for us........there are plenty of people in THIS country who are not grateful for all their own nation has done for them, let alone to consider any other country has done things for our benefit!

THe 'benefit' should go BOTH directions, and I believe it truly does. Our nations have long had a mutual benefits business, military, natural resources, and friendships system, both within and outside of government efforts. It is doubtful there are many of us who do not have family ties, whether we know it or not, given how little most here know of their ancestors. Maybe that is the problem........families do have to work at getting along!

mrj

Too bad 1 or 2 people on here can only point fingers and blame!!!One in particular is so jealous of Canada he mocks and insults the residents that frequent this forum.

hopalong said:
Too bad 1 or 2 people on here can only point fingers and blame!!!One in particular is so jealous of Canada he mocks and insults the residents that frequent this forum.
I take no offence from his posts. He blames everything on someone else and takes no personal responsibility nor does he demonstrate any hint of critical thinking. Heck he even blames all the inclement weather on his northern neighbor. I don't think it is a jealous situation rather a everyone but me is out to lunch party. It is up to us to be kind and gentle as I think he has started to believe his own rhetoric.

hopalong said:

Your own shots back, are way over the top as well! :shock: :roll: I might not agree with somebody, but rude comments and name calling belong in PB. LEAVE IT THERE PLEASE. :? We can disagree and remain friends or we can let hate and other BS ruin our debate and maybe, this whole site. That's my opinion and it probably aint right. :D

I for one am pretty glad and thankful the majority of the BSE issue mostly behind us. I saw a lot of dang good and efficient producers either go broke or just decide to give up during this deal. Fortunately our family has always been very prudent and fiscally conservative or someone else would be raising beef on this place now.
I read a great many of the comments sent to the gov't during the comment period by American producers and will never forget what I read there. I'm glad I was a member on this site during that time or I would likely have hard feelings toward the the American producer and citizen that would never heal. However, through some of the posters on this site I realized that eveyone south of the 49th does not have the same attitude, so I will not paint them all with the same brush.
Thanks to those of you who see the big picture, may you all prosper!

Ditto to what Silver said .... with the exception we didn't see or maybe I should say 'know' a lot that went broke. A good portion of them have and will continue to be in and out of the cattle business - diversifying or dabbling ... that is just the way they do things.

leanin' H said:
hopalong said:

Your own shots back, are way over the top as well! :shock: :roll: I might not agree with somebody, but rude comments and name calling belong in PB. LEAVE IT THERE PLEASE. :? We can disagree and remain friends or we can let hate and other BS ruin our debate and maybe, this whole site. That's my opinion and it probably aint right. :D

Where was there any name calling?????And do not see a rude comment ???
I go over the line at times yes, This time do not think so...that is just my opinion, and it may not be right!

Latest posts