Ranchers.net Bull Session

Auction of Clarence's old machinery

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Auction of Clarence's old machinery

Postby Martin Jr. » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:19 pm

We are having an auction of Clarence's old machinery on Sept 24. Have been spending Saturday afternoons cleaning up and getting ready. Clarence is in Assisted Living now, and has the land sold.
In cleaning up in the basement I found this old 1/2 size violin. I think it was a Christmas present for Clarence maybe in the mid 30's. It was just as a toy and nobody ever learned how to play it. I remember it as a small child and it had strings broken then.
One tuning peg was missing and the bridge was missing, the bow hair was mostly gone, and was coming apart in places. I cleaned it up and made a tuning peg and bridge, glued it together, ordered bow hair and replaced that. It can even be played now.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Auction of Clarence's old machinery

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:48 pm

I sure enjoyed meeting you and Clarence at Deadwood, hard to believe that was so long ago.
Time sure passes.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Pretty neat, Martin Jr. Hope the auction is well-attended. Tell Clarence hi for us.
"All the Democrats know how to do is lie and “forget.”--Trey Gowdy

Mike
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Looks as though someone played it by the wear of the paint on the fret board. Nice. I'll bet it sounds sweet and woody smooth.

One thing you never want to do is live in the house with a violin/fiddle student.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mrj » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 am

Nice! That should inspire me to get an old guitar repaired for my soon to be (Halloween Day) 93 year old uncle.

Yes, time does fly, BMR! I was at the gathering, too and enjoyed meeting everyone.

Those sales where there is even a hint of finding 'antique' anything seem to draw great crowds and produce lots of excitement. "Hello" to Clarence, and wishes for a great sale for him. Is there a link where we can see the sale ad? I know some folks who attend lots of auctions as that seems to be their hobby and I would show it to them if I get a chance. Valentine is same distance as Rapid City from Midland, not as good a hiway, but generally no construction, either. There is several miles of two land traffic on I-90 between Exit 170 and Kadoka. Too many drivers seem to like bumper to bumper driving. I don't!

Hope all of you are enjoying some of our cooler weather and as much rain as you want. We can always use more rain, it seems. Sure hope we get a nice fall and some good rains here and anywhere they are needed. Lots of work to do, and I'm having back surgery the end of this month. Should be quick and good recovery, judging by a couple years ago when I had about the same repairs. Too many falls years ago! A garage door breaking and falling on ones' head, causing a fall on the butt on concrete floor does bad things to both ends of the spine!
mrj

Martin Jr.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Martin Jr. » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:45 am

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:11 am

Martin Jr. wrote:http://connotbrothersauction.com