• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Chores March 9

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rancher3!

Reaction score
Calves on feed
IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Looking at me

CopyofIMG_0401-1.jpg

Cows on the range
CopyofIMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Another calf
IMG_0400.jpg

A bushel of bounty
CopyofIMG_0388.jpg

The end of the line for the twine
CopyofIMG_0387.jpg

My homemade version of a hydra deck
CopyofIMG_0390.jpg

Coyote legs? We used to turn in the ears for a bounty. A homemade hydra-bed...that's cool.

Nice cows and a nice deck. How much time and $ did it take to build?
It looks pretty sturdy. Do the arms fold right flush into the deck?
Actually other than the good fences, your cows remind me a lot of ours...

Blkbuckaroo said:
What's the deal with the coyote feet?Did you make that hydra bed out of a tommy lift,the kind you see on delivery trucks.Good idea.

This winter we have a bounty on coyotes. We have to turn in the feet.
When the fur market was functioning properly the government collected royalties on over 30,000 coyotes a winter. Due to the fall in fur prices no one was hunting coyotes so they put a bounty on them to try and get the population under control.
Will it work I don't know but it is breaking up some packs. We had a pack of 16 just on the west side of the ranch.

So does four feet in your bushel basket equal one coyote, or does the government trust you and only require one foot per coyote? Seems like a person could quadruple his bounty earnings in the latter scenario.

HP

The coyote feet have to be divided by four for the pay out! I did get one with one three paws, they said that was OK but i don't think they would go for 25 3 legged coyotes. The deck was built from scratch with some pictures from a hydra dec. I have about $2500 invested with $1000 being all new hydraulic components. The pump is a belt driven unit and the valve is selenoid operated. The arms do fold down to the outside of the deck but the spinners have to be removed.

R3

That's interesting looking country. Are you near Cabri or Abbey?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Blkbuckaroo said:
What's the deal with the coyote feet?Did you make that hydra bed out of a tommy lift,the kind you see on delivery trucks.Good idea.

When the fur market was functioning properly the government collected royalties on over 30,000 coyotes a winter. Due to the fall in fur prices no one was hunting coyotes so they put a bounty on them to try and get the population under control.
Will it work I don't know but it is breaking up some packs. We had a pack of 16 just on the west side of the ranch.

how much per coyote?

Justin said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Blkbuckaroo said:

how much per coyote?

$20, buys some shells. :)

Big Muddy rancher said:
Justin said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

how much per coyote?

$20, buys some shells. :)

absolutely. doesn't sound like a bad deal.

I am south of Swift Current about 30 miles. $20 dollars from the goverment and $15 from the local hutterite colony for the rest of the dog. Not big money but enough to justify a new gun right :D

Rancher3! said:
I am south of Swift Current about 30 miles. $20 dollars from the goverment and $15 from the local hutterite colony for the rest of the dog. Not big money but enough to justify a new gun right :D

Is that for the restaurant trade or what do they do with them :shock:

How much harm do coyotes actually do on any of you folk's ranches?
We have a very healthy population here - I often see 8-10 in a morning but they are only looking for mice beneath the snow plus removing the odd dead animals I might leave for them. Our cows would make pretty short work of them if they started messing with newborn calves. Do they create more problems on different terrain to mine?

The boys from the colony skin them out and ship the hides.
As far as the yotes they don't cause alot of trouble, but i have lost a twin a couple times over the years. Seems like they are smart enought to get them seperated off. Sometimes that wouldn't take much with momma taking more to one than the other.
R3

I kind of like Coyotes. I have watched our cows destroy a coyote at calving time and we have never had issues with them. The cows will form a ring around the offender and proceed to demolish the poor coyote. When they are done there is usually just a patch of fuzz left.
Back when we had a lot of sheep we were told that if you don't have problems, not to shoot coyotes or new ones will move in and they may have a taste for mutton and lamb. We never shot any and never lost a single animal to coyotes.
I suspect we have lost a few chickens over the years, but that was good riddance from the perspective of a kid who had to clean chicken coop.
I know they were getting pretty thick in many parts of SK.
I think a bigger problem is loose dogs that pack up.

Latest posts