• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

icing on the cake

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cure

Reaction score
Well this has been a rough summer for our valley this year when it comes to lighting. Our ranch has loss two cows and a bull ( different storms ) neighbor had one last week crossing a river and got tagged right in the middle then this morning at 5:50 my neighbor to the east of me lost a barn and about one hundred ton of hay went up in smoke to a lighting strike really a sad sight. I guess we care damned if you do and damned if you don't. All I can say is I have never seen our valley so green as it is this time of the year got to love good soaking rain

Sorry to hear about the lightning and hay/barn fire. That sucks. We have been under water lately. Got 1 1/2 inches last night in 2 hours. Washed out the road to my day job and flooded a few basements. Over 3 inches for September.
More rain than i can remember falling here since 1977 and that was in the spring. Delta has gotten pounded as well. Maybe your winter range down by Meadow will have plenty of grass this year Cure! :D

That's a bummer for sure. Glad you've gotten rain tho, and you too 'H. I said this morning as we watched the weather that I hoped you were getting rain.

I think I am a rain worshipper. I can remember as a child when the other kids would sing, "rain, rain go away", I would sing, "rain, rain, come to stay". :D

I'm sorry to hear of the problems the lightening caused; gosh, one year in SW Montana we lost 6 cows and 5 calves under a tree that got struck by lightening. And wouldn't you know.......they weren't all pairs! That was pretty sickening. We didn't know it had happened, but we starting smelling something dead......and went to investigate.

A few years ago, over by the ND border, a purebred breeder was holding his annual production sale. The day before the sale, he put some bale feeders out for his cows, as he wouldn't be there to feed them sale day......only to have lightening strike a bale feeder and kill 7 cows!!! And this was the end of March!!!!

So, I guess, as hard as it sounds, it's like our old cowboy buddy used to say, "you gotta take the tail with the hide." I'm glad your valley is green cure. Enjoy it as long as it lasts!

Latest posts