• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Letter to Cherry County Commissioners regarding Wind Energy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
September 17, 2016
Cherry County Commissioners
c/o Kay Reece
365 North Main Street
Valentine, NE 69201

Dear Commissioners:

Tanya Storer, Mark Adamson, and Jim Van Winkle, you are all my friends going back many years. I have the utmost respect for each of you for accepting the job of being a county commissioner. It is largely a thankless task, requiring much time and considerable hard work, and there is absolutely no way you can please all of the people all of the time. I wish to extend my appreciation to the three of you for serving.

The hot button issue of the moment is Wind Energy Development for Cherry Country—To be, or not to be, that is the question. As an interested land owner several years ago, I went to one of the first wind energy meetings. At that time, it looked to have possibilities, but my thought then was if I could continue to make a living ranching without having wind turbines on my place I wanted to do just that. Back then I was not prejudiced against them, but having learned much more in the years since, there are many more negatives associated with wind turbines than there are positives.

Wind turbines are not efficient. When the wind doesn't blow, they don't produce. Power companies don't like wind as one of their suppliers. The power companies still need to have more reliable sources such as coal or natural gas as back-up when the wind doesn't blow.

Wind Energy is highly subsidized, and if it wasn't it would fade away very quickly. Despite being famous for touting the idea that the rich don't pay their fair share of taxes, investor Warren Buffet seems to be perfectly fine with receiving tax breaks for making investments in Big Wind. "I will do anything that is basically covered by the law to reduce Berkshire's tax rate," Buffet told an audience in Omaha, Nebraska recently. "For example, on wind energy, we get a tax credit if we build a lot of wind farms. That's the only reason to build them. They don't make sense without the tax credit." But while the wind production tax credit may be great for Buffet's bottom line, it's harmful for American taxpayers and energy consumers.

There is nothing wrong with doing all things legal and honorable to keep from paying taxes. Warren Buffet is using legal means to prevent paying taxes, but if in his own heart he knows wind turbines are not efficient, is it honorable of him to use this method? I think not.

Should Wind Energy get a toe-hold in Cherry County, it will go forth with much momentum. This is a big enough potential event, that it will be a mark in time to look back on in the future. Happenings will be known as Before Wind Turbines or After Wind Turbines. There are two sides to the Wind Energy movement, and each side thinks they are in the right. I don't envy any of you commissioners as you seek to make the best call. This is a major decision, and it is probably of momentous enough proportion that it shouldn't be left as a burden on the shoulders of you three. No matter which way you decide, you will be "the bad guys" to the other side.

A very viable solution to the whole problem would be to put the ultimate decision up to the vote of the people. The November 8th election is just around the corner. Why not include a ballot along with the regular ballot that will be mailed out? Even though it would not be legally binding in the strictest sense of the word, it could be a means to give you a basis on which to make your decision. It could even be worded in non-binding fashion, such as: Straw Poll. Are you FOR or AGAINST Wind Energy Development for Cherry County? Vote FOR or AGAINST. This would be a very simple solution to the problem at hand.

Another reason to wait until after the November election is to see who wins the presidency of the United States. If Donald Trump wins, he might realize the fallacy of Wind Energy and rescind most of the tax breaks which now keep it afloat.

Supposedly there are 450,000 acres of Cherry County land signed up in Cherry County Wind LLC. Cherry County contains about 3,815,000 acres. The 450,000 acres pledged to wind development represents about 12% of the total land in Cherry County. Keep in mind that there is 88% of the land in Cherry County that the owners probably do not want to be involved with Wind Energy, or the eminent domain factor that could possibly allow transmission lines to cross their property.

I think the ONLY way people of Cherry County are going to be satisfied with a decision FOR or AGAINST is if they have some kind of say in the outcome. If a vote comes out in favor of wind development, and wind farms become the norm, hopefully all who are against this happening can "suck it up" and carry on with their lives.

Cherry County has a lot of good people who have for the most part gotten along well with each other through the years. It is sad to see neighbor against neighbor over something as trivial in the general scheme of things as wind energy. I hope and pray that we can all go back to getting along, no matter the eventual outcome.

Sincerely,

Stephen J. Moreland

Excellent letter, Soap. You stated the problem and the solution. It doesn't get any better than that. And you did it in such a way that no feathers should be ruffled. If they are then those individuals shouldn't be in public office.

You as Co. Commissioner, as BMR stated, would be great!

Soapweed's template for living: disagree without being disagreeable. Well reasoned and well delivered.

The great leaders were of a similar mind as Soapweed - they neither sought nor wanted power. When duty called, they answered with service and honor not greed and vice. Btw governer Soapweed sounds about right. We can understand Soapweed saying no thanks, but that's the sort we need.

Brad S said:
Soapweed's template for living: disagree without being disagreeable. Well reasoned and well delivered.

The great leaders were of a similar mind as Soapweed - they neither sought nor wanted power. When duty called, they answered with service and honor not greed and vice. Btw governer Soapweed sounds about right. We can understand Soapweed saying no thanks, but that's the sort we need.

:clap: Well said, Brad S.

:cowboy: You folks are making me feel good. I seem to be in hot water in my own stomping grounds for "fanning the flames." Guess if I'm going to be dumb, I've got to be tough. :cowboy: :dunce: :gag: :)

"Fanning the flames" is a general cliche that really allows the truth to be distorted. Let me suggest "acting on conscience" is a much more accurate description of your conduct. Youve been absolutely polite, and every syllable you've uttered addresses the issue.

Btw, accusing someone of "fanning the flames" is an ad hominem and doesn't stick to the issue.

Brad S said:
"Fanning the flames" is a general cliche that really allows the truth to be distorted. Let me suggest "acting on conscience" is a much more accurate description of your conduct. Youve been absolutely polite, and every syllable you've uttered addresses the issue.

Btw, accusing someone of "fanning the flames" is an ad hominem and doesn't stick to the issue.

Brad S, I like your wording better, but a lady sent me a personal message and worded it: "you have continued to fan the flame of the anti wind movement." I guess if the shoes fit, I must wear them (even though I prefer my riding boots). Oh well, just another day in the life of an old has-been cowpoke. :cboy: For the record though, I was astride a horse for several hours today.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Wouldn't it actually be the Pro wind movement that would be fanning flames?

Good point, BMR. It would take wind to fan a flame, and I am anti-wind so that is a false accusation. :)
Glad I could help :D

Anytime. :nod: :lol2: :cowboy:

My dad's cousin celebrated her 99th birthday last week-end in Rockglen. Wish we could have made it to the party, and then we could have stopped by to say "hi." Seems like ranching gets to interfering with our social life. :?

Was that Mrs Justus?

Britt is living in Rockglen now, her boyfriend has a tire and repair shop.
She was busy driving a big Case IH Quad trac pulling a 1000bu grain cart. They are shut down with the rain.

That was an excellent letter. I used to think wind energy was ok but didn't really know anything about it. Where my wife if from there has grown a big wind farm. The problem that came up was they have their spots where are ideal to put towers. They approached one guy about putting a whole bunch of towers on his land he declined and said he didn't like them didn't think they were a good idea and he didn't want to look at them. So they just went across the road from him and have loads of them he has to look at anyway. My grandpa was commissioner way back. He died in 1987 when I was 7. Lots of people have tried to get my dad to run for the position. He said if my grandpa hadn't been commissioner he would probably still be alive. ;) My dad said he always dreaded Monday's as grandpa would come home from the meetings in a sour mood for the rest of the day. That is a tough spot to be in for them. Hope it works out for you soapweed.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Was that Mrs Justus?

Britt is living in Rockglen now, her boyfriend has a tire and repair shop.
She was busy driving a big Case IH Quad trac pulling a 1000bu grain cart. They are shut down with the rain.

Yes, it is Grace Justus. She is quite a lady. We went to her 90th birthday party and her sister's (Dorothy Blooom) 80th in August of 2007. That was a fun time, with a nice party and big dance. Grace and Dorothy both danced nearly every dance that night. Dorothy has since passed on. Grace seems to be like the energizer bunny. Their mother was Gladys Oakes. She was also quite a go-getter. Most of her life she could jump from the floor and kick the top of a door frame on any ordinary house door. When she was well into her 90's, she was down in Nebraska visiting at county fair time. My father-in-law, Royal McGaughey, had a team and wagon in the parade, and I was riding shotgun. I asked Aunt Gladys if she'd like to ride in the wagon. She said, "You bet." I told her I'd find a ladder or step-stool or something to help her get in. She said, "Just hold those horses steady and I'll climb up the spokes of the wagon wheel." We did, and she did. I have a picture of her on my old Tom Cat horse when she was just a month away from her 96th birthday. I'm very proud to have all of them as relatives.

Check out these links.

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20517&p=228845&hilit=Excursion#p228845

http://ryanwunsch.com/mystery-rocks-saskatchewan/

My concern with with the anti wind movement is setting a presedent of more control over what I can and cannot do on my land by people miles or hunderds of miles away.

Just because you don't want wind towers on your land shouldn't give you the right to say I can't have them. Disclamer, I am not near a wind farm, and I have no financial intrest in any wind farm.

Just because you don't want your ranch farmed or used for hunting or growing chickens or pigs or elk or fish or bulls or horses, should not allow someone miles away from doing such things on their private land.

Be very careful, you might actually get what you want and have it come back to bite you in the butt.

sandhiller said:
My concern with with the anti wind movement is setting a presedent of more control over what I can and cannot do on my land by people miles or hunderds of miles away.

Just because you don't want wind towers on your land shouldn't give you the right to say I can't have them. Disclamer, I am not near a wind farm, and I have no financial intrest in any wind farm.

Just because you don't want your ranch farmed or used for hunting or growing chickens or pigs or elk or fish or bulls or horses, should not allow someone miles away from doing such things on their private land.

Be very careful, you might actually get what you want and have it come back to bite you in the butt.

:agree: A public vote wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Latest posts