• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

McDonald's cuts Angus burgersfrom menu

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We have all the good hamburger we want...and it's yummy...but when we
are going somewhere we like McDonald's Double Cheeseburger...for $1 and
fries. The fries cost more than the burgers do. :p

Of course you must understand we live 80 miles from the nearest McDonalds! :D

scout said:
I understand a CAB steak not hamburger don't care what they call it for all I care they can call it the best of the best or the the royal steak. as long as all cattle that meet the grade qualify not the idam color of its hide . I try to raise the highest quality animals I can. no there not all angus some are better than others that's a fact I will take the premium on the good ones and the dock on the poor ones not all of them are winners. but how in the hell can hamburger be classified CAB if its to lean add fat if its to fat add lean . Mcdonalds is great customer of the beef producer and I don't blame them for discontinuing the angus burger they pay some people a lot of money to watch the profit magrins

FACT: No where on max lounge menu does or did it ever say CAB, it said angus, thats it. I think all you CAB haters need to realize WERE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM. CAB is a great promotion program and it's not the angus guys fault that the packers stamps every black hided calf that they kill ANGUS. They do it because it brings a premium. Ask any city Slicker what breed of beef they know? If they know any of them it would be angus. It's everywhere, Safeway, McDonalds, Arby's, and many other places. Bottom line is the angus association has done a great job promoting thier product. I have never seen Hereford beef in any store or resturant. I have gelbvieh, hereford, simm and angus bulls, but I try to keep my calves black hided. Like I'm going to say "No thanks I don't want that extra $60 a head that my calves bring on the rail cuz they're not purebred angus." YEAH RIGHT!!! Yes hereford has a certified program but the requirements are not close to what CAB is, as a rule no other breed can constistantly grade and yield along with angus. If ya'll wanna cry, then cry to your breeds association and ask why they are not pushing your breed of choice. And Silver you better start asking to make sure you're not eating a 5 legged calf. My buddy had that extra leg cut off and that calf will be sold right along with the rest. Hope you don't grow 5 legs!!! :p :p

We in agriculture tend to over analyze food issues. But the fact that McDonald's is discontinuing any burger; should be a concern to all beef producers.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3025519

Certified Angus Beef Program APPROVED
Schedule G − 1 January 8, 2007
USDA, AMS, LS, STDZ
Washington, DC 20250

USDA SPECIFICATION FOR CERTIFICATION OF BEEF CARCASS
QUALITY AND YIELD CHARACTERISTICS OF OFFICIALLY GRADED BEEF
SCOPE
This specification is for certification by an Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) agent of
U.S. Prime and Choice steer and heifer carcasses. AMS does not certify the breed or
percentage of breed genetics for the Certified Angus Beef program

How can it be "Certified" as angus beef if the overseeing authority does NOT certify the breed or percentages of a breed in the beef.

THAT is what puzzles consumers that know. They are looking for a consistent cut of beef. NOT a "BREED".

Mike said:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3025519

Certified Angus Beef Program APPROVED
Schedule G − 1 January 8, 2007
USDA, AMS, LS, STDZ
Washington, DC 20250

USDA SPECIFICATION FOR CERTIFICATION OF BEEF CARCASS
QUALITY AND YIELD CHARACTERISTICS OF OFFICIALLY GRADED BEEF
SCOPE
This specification is for certification by an Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) agent of
U.S. Prime and Choice steer and heifer carcasses. AMS does not certify the breed or
percentage of breed genetics for the Certified Angus Beef program

How can it be "Certified" as angus beef if the overseeing authority does NOT certify the breed or percentages of a breed in the beef.

THAT is what puzzles consumers that know. They are looking for a consistent cut of beef. NOT a "BREED".

These specifications pretty much ensure the consistency, so that if one Certified Angus Beef steak tastes good, the next one is pretty much likely to follow suit.

Ten Quality Specifications for Certified Angus Beef

Marbling and maturity
1.Modest or higher marbling – for the taste that ensures customer satisfaction
2.Medium or fine marbling texture – the white "flecks of flavor" in the beef that ensure consistent flavor and juiciness in every bite
3.Only the youngest classification of product qualifies as "A" maturity – for superior color, texture and tenderness

The next three specifications ensure a uniform, consistent steak size:
4.10- to 16-square-inch ribeye area
5.Less than 1,000-pound hot carcass weight
6.Less than 1-inch fat thickness

And finally, four specifications further ensure the quality appearance and tenderness of the brand:
7.Superior muscling (restricts influence of dairy cattle)
8.Practically free of capillary ruptures (ensures the most visually appealing steak)
9.No dark cutters (ensures the most visually appealing steak)
10.No neck hump exceeding 2 inches (safeguards against cattle with more variability in tenderness)

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

DB Cooper said:
jeff in ca said:
We in agriculture tend to over analyze food issues. But the fact that McDonald's is discontinuing any burger; should be a concern to all beef producers.

Sadly, this is a very important point.

But Richard Adams, who consults McDonald's franchisees, noted that Dollar Menu has also made the Angus burger a less attractive option at around $4 to $5.

"When you can get four or five burgers off the Dollar Menu, nobody's going to buy the Angus burger," he said.

Fast Angus

While McDonalds (Stock Quote: MCD), Burger King (Stock Quote: BKC) and Hardee's (Stock Quote: CKR) burgers may be touted as Angus beef, and may have boosted the companies' recent profits, it doesn't mean they're Certified Angus Beef.

McDonald's Angus burgers are made with 100% Angus beef, according to the restaurant chain, but it's not listed as Certified Angus Beef specifically. In fact, here are the ingredients in a McDonald's Angus beef patty:

100% Angus beef. Prepared with Grill Seasoning (salt, black pepper) and Angus Burger Seasoning: Salt, sugar, dextrose, onion powder, maltodextrin, natural butter flavor (dairy source), autolyzed yeast extract, spices, garlic powder, vegetable protein (hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat), natural (animal, plant and botanical source) and artificial flavors, dried beef broth, sunflower oil, caramel color, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oil, gum arabic, soy sauce solids (wheat, soybean, salt, maltodextrin, caramel color), palm oil, worcestershire sauce powder [distilled vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, tamarind, natural flavor (fruit source), beef fat, annatto and turmeric (color), calcium silicate and soybean oil (prevent caking). CONTAINS: MILK, SOY AND WHEAT.

What's most interesting about this is that McDonald's adds "beef fat" to their Angus burgers. Since Angus is known to be a particularly well marbled or fatty breed, either the McDonald's angus beef is not all that fatty, or it's not fatty enough for McDonald's customers. We asked McDonald's to explain the added fat, but we'res till waiting for them to get back to us with an answer.

"Certified Angus Beef does not go to fast food restaurants. It's at the higher-end restaurants," says Anne Trenholm, a spokeswoman for the American Angus Association (she also happened to grow up on an Angus cattle ranch). That's part of what makes and continues to assure that it's a premium brand, she says.

Angus beef that's not Certified Angus Beef may not be the guaranteed best available based on cattle lineage and quality standards, but demand for any Angus beef is growing, according to Angus.org. So whether it's certified or not, that could make it more than just a rare treat.

UPDATE: McDonald's got back to us and they wanted to correct a few innacuracies. The first thing the PR spokesperson said was that they didn't add fat to the burgers. They added fat to the seasoning... and they add seasoning to the burger. I'm not making this up. It is true, however that they put just one gram of seasoning into each 1/3 lb. angus burger, which seems to be relatively little.

They didn't provide a real answer to what is probably a more important question: if McDonald's Angus isn't "Certified" Angus, then what kind of Angus is it?

Here's a statement we received from Robert Cannell, Ph. D., Director, McDonald's U.S. Supply Chain Management:

"With respect to your question about McDonald's Angus beef, a majority of McDonald's Angus beef is sourced domestically and is qualified under USDA process verification programs. However, due to the quality and quantity of meat needed to serve all of our customers, we do import a small percentage that is qualified under the Certified Australian Angus Beef standards. All McDonald's beef is 100 percent USDA-inspected beef. All suppliers of beef to McDonald's must meet our stringent requirements for quality, safety, animal welfare, and social accountability. Those standards often exceed government requirements. 'Certified Angus Beef' is a registered trademark not owned by the USDA and not used by McDonald's. McDonald's Angus beef is qualified by the USDA. In addition, all McDonald's Angus beef patties are made with 100 percent Angus beef. The Angus beef patty is prepared with two seasonings, which is the source of additional ingredients listed. Less than one gram of seasoning is used on each Angus burger."

We found the statement to be a bit unclear and asked a bunch of follow up questions, including those concerning the exact sourcing of their Angus beef and the nature of the USDA certification to which they alluded in the statement, among other things. But McDonld's refused to answer, saying that the above statement "stands on its own merit."

Oldtimer said:
If the issue of quitting the angus burger is all about the price of "beef" rising- it makes you wonder what they are putting in all those other burgers ? :wink:

Instead, you might want to take a look at what they are putting in/on the ANGUS beef. :wink:

I just love that hamburger filled with Calcium Silicate. :lol:

It's used for fireproofing and is basically ground up limestone and/or dirt. :wink:

Cattle Fax reports Choice @ 208.77 Select @ 192.71 for a Ch/Se spread of 16.06. BTW CAB was @ 212.30 for a 19.59 CAB/Se spread. All the while Choice and higher was at 62.1% of the kill.

It is nice to see there is still a demand for the higher quality beef and for the higher end cuts.

Oldtimer said:
Cattle Fax reports Choice @ 208.77 Select @ 192.71 for a Ch/Se spread of 16.06. BTW CAB was @ 212.30 for a 19.59 CAB/Se spread. All the while Choice and higher was at 62.1% of the kill.

It is nice to see there is still a demand for the higher quality beef and for the higher end cuts.

Yea, it is a nice added bonus for the owners of the "8% of all calves" that qualify.

Just glad I don't have to buy it. The only thing I buy on occasion are Tenderloins. It doesn't matter about the Grade on them because they are all tender and there's no marbling in them to speak of. The "No Roll" T-Loins are just as good, or better than the Prime. Eye Of Round too.

Plus, don't give me a Choice Brisket. Select is the way to go. The Choice/Prime Brisket is too fatty to eat.............

Mike said:
lesser priced meats, i.e. chicken. The REAL competition for beef.

That's certainly the case here these days Mike. Beef, when you can find it, is now in the 70-80 bs/kilo range. I sell live chickens at 30 bs/kilo and dressed birds at 40 bs/kilo.

We have something of a perfect storm here right now conspiring against beef buyers. We're nearing the end of summer, pastures are depleted, cattle are skinny, and with "winter" rains just around the corner, most producers would rather wait than sell. Additionally, with inflation raging away, a month makes a difference in the bottom line. Hence, the meat markets for the most part are without beef.

I can hardly keep up with demand for chickens right now. And as you've said before, their feed effeciency and growth rate makes them a really tempting alternative for the producer. Start with a baby chick that weighs a few grams when he arrives and 35 - 36 days later you've got birds that weigh between 5 and 6 pounds and are ready for market. That's rapid turnover.

While I intend to stay with my cattle and hogs, my chicken biz will get all the funding it needs to keep expanding.

Whitewing said:
Mike said:

That's certainly the case here these days Mike. Beef, when you can find it, is now in the 70-80 bs/kilo range. I sell live chickens at 30 bs/kilo and dressed birds at 40 bs/kilo.

We have something of a perfect storm here right now conspiring against beef buyers. We're nearing the end of summer, pastures are depleted, cattle are skinny, and with "winter" rains just around the corner, most producers would rather wait than sell. Additionally, with inflation raging away, a month makes a difference in the bottom line. Hence, the meat markets for the most part are without beef.

I can hardly keep up with demand for chickens right now. And as you've said before, their feed effeciency and growth rate makes them a really tempting alternative for the producer. Start with a baby chick that weighs a few grams when he arrives and 35 - 36 days later you've got birds that weigh between 5 and 6 pounds and are ready for market. That's rapid turnover.

While I intend to stay with my cattle and hogs, my chicken biz will get all the funding it needs to keep expanding.

wifey lost 104 out of 350 chickens to the fox last year, and STILL made some money. and if we were set up better could do that 3 or 4 times a year, keeping the little one's warm enough when it start's to cool down becomes cost prohibitive though.

hayguy said:
Whitewing said:
Mike said:

wifey lost 104 out of 350 chickens to the fox last year, and STILL made some money. and if we were set up better could do that 3 or 4 times a year, keeping the little one's warm enough when it start's to cool down becomes cost prohibitive though.

Here at the house I can manage about 600 birds of varying ages at a time without causing a stink. Rice hulls make a really absorbant bedding and do a good job of reducing odors.

So far predators haven't been a problem. Low temps obviously aren't a problem either though the youngest birds need a curtain to prevent wind-blown rain from wetting them and their bedding. For us, heat's the killer. Since electricity is basically free here, I might install an airconditioner in the two big pens. :D

They're amazing birds.....eating, drinking, crapping machines. The growth rates are nothing short of amazing and, as I said, the rapid turnover of investment is very attractive. Others here in the pueblo have been trying their hand at raising them, but most quit after the first go-round. There are constant shortages of commercial feed so if you don't buy all the feed you'll need for a specific lot of birds, you can get into real trouble.

Since starting in January I've sold (raised and purchased adult birds from others) a little over 2500 birds and the business is growing rapidly. I plan to put a walk-in cooler here at the house that will be large enough to handle both the chickens and later sales of pork and beef.

Yup, that meat market I had planned to open at the Chinese market, I might just open here at the house.

woodsman said:
Whitewing would you be willing to show your pens, and how do you air condition chickens? I have got to see this :D

:lol: I haven't air conditioned them yet, but I'm strongly considering it. My two main pens are both open on two sides, and fully walled on the other two.

One pen is backed up against my property line on the road and can't be opened or else I'd have more chickens disappear via theft than hayguy's wife with her fox. :D

The other is also on a property line and backs up against an empty lot. Same deal if I opened it and just had wire to protect the birds. Of course, for chickens, all four sides in wire are better for air flow but it just won't be possible here unless I buy the lot next door.....and I may.

As for the AC idea, I'd buy one of those moveable units (they site on a cart-type deal) and wheel it where I wanted. Add a fan a few feet away and I'd be good to go. :D

Seriously, heats a killer here and tropical summers can get quite warm for chickens.

They A/C 'em down here. The houses are better insulated than most folks houses.

Lot's of them use a curtain of water with a fan blowing through it. Keeps the dust & temps down. Gas heat in winter................

Thank you guys. The heat and humidity of our mid summer sure does slow there growth down. I am just looking for new ideas to try every year. This year we invested in automatic waterers. We like it but there is a learning curve. Thanks again guys

Mike said:
They A/C 'em down here. The houses are better insulated than most folks houses.

Lot's of them use a curtain of water with a fan blowing through it. Keeps the dust & temps down. Gas heat in winter................

I saw one of those in action at a buddy's chicken house (20,000 birds) and it worked really well. I was amazed at how much it cooled things down. Expansion cooling, gotta love it. :D

For me it appears the birds handle the heat pretty well until they reach about 30 days of age or so. Thereafter, it's a crap shoot. When temps hit 85 F, they really start to suffer and with my pens walled on two sides, I just don't get the air circulation I need. Also, since I'm in town, and the town sits at the bottom of a valley, we don't get the constant winds I get at the ranch.

I've also seen gas heaters installed here for the birds when they're really young. Our lowest temps are about 60 F, which is pretty chilly for the little guys. Doesn't happen often, but with 20,000 birds in the house, it's better to be prepared for every eventuality.

Denny said:
scout said:
I understand a CAB steak not hamburger don't care what they call it for all I care they can call it the best of the best or the the royal steak. as long as all cattle that meet the grade qualify not the dam color of its hide . I try to raise the highest quality animals I can. no there not all angus some are better than others that's a fact I will take the premium on the good ones and the dock on the poor ones not all of them are winners. but how in the hell can hamburger be classified CAB if its to lean add fat if its to fat add lean . Mcdonalds is great customer of the beef producer and I don't blame them for discontinuing the angus burger they pay some people a lot of money to watch the profit magrins

It's a (BLACK) Angus promoted product with over 30 years behind it why in the hell should they accept anything they don't want. Hereford has CHB a good product I'm sure. Mc Donalds was selling Angus burgers red or black I'm sure not CAB burgers there is a differance in products.

People were'nt buying them because most of america is broke and they were eating more from the Dollar menu hence the decision to focus more attention in that direction. If I'm going to spend $8 to $10 on a fast food meal I'll go to a sit down restaurant other wise a couple $1 burgers and a $1 fry is what I buy.I drink alot of cola and that I buy at Walmart 2 litre bottle for 84cents I'm broke like the rest of america to many payments on land and machinery to spend wild everywhere.
I have no problem with the CAB program feel it is a great program . I believe a guy ought to get paid for if he raises a superior beef. If you have the pay for the CAB tags that's great what I don't like is every black hided calf that might not have any angus in it that meets the requirements to pass isn't fair to the guy who does it right.I agree the other breed assoc need to quit riding on the coat tales of the angus assoc. I run angus cows and find them hard to beat on the maternal side. Its just my opinion.sometimes I think the consumer is the one that gets the short end of the stick . all

Latest posts