• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New here- Should a fella be buying heifers? Bred Heifers? or

Help Support Ranchers.net:

B Reversed Crazy B said:
If you had extra grass--- enough for 200 cows year round-- how would you stock it and why?

I would look for good heifers- bred or not- with the genetics that can not only survive in your part of the country if the next few years are dry/tough--- but those that can also thrive when conditions are good....

And you won't find most of those genetics looking at the major bullsh*t semen promoter catalogs.......
http://www.sustainablegenetics.com/index.html

I thought a 'crazy' letter was upside down. But a B looks very much the same upside down as right side up :???:

Whitewing said:
Silver said:
I thought a 'crazy' letter was upside down. But a B looks very much the same upside down as right side up :???:

Except it's reversed in this case. :D

Soooooo....... B reverse B, or crazy B reverse B, or like the gentleman said; B reverse crazy B :shock: :D

Silver said:
Whitewing said:
Silver said:

Except it's reversed in this case. :D

Soooooo....... B reverse B, or crazy B reverse B, or like the gentleman said; B reverse crazy B :shock: :D

My first brand had a B in it, it Blotched quite often. More BBB's would BBBBBBBLotch even worse.

To answer the original posters question it would depend on the situation in terms of cash flow. Best buy in the business the last couple of months has been a heifer calf. I would develop that heifer calf out and breed her and then evaluate the situation either calf the heifer and just have more cows around. Labor would be another variable that would be a consideration. In this area there is a shortage and will likely continue into the near future.
Bred heifers in this area will likely run $1800-2100 for most depending on quality. Some may even bring a little more if AI bred- home raised and have a little bit better than average look to them.
Welcome to the board there are some entertainers on here and seldom a dull moment. When it comes to tractors, pickups, cattle or dogs there are plenty of opinions just don't take any of the banter too seriously and you will be fine.

I agree with the above post also with heifer calves you could buy more than you need. Breed for a short calveing period and cull off all the opens. Most likely making some money on those and hence you end up with what should be the early matureing fertile females.

If its a cow herd your after start with yearling heifers. Run them in the country for a year before they have a calf at their side. They'll acclimate and do much better.

Welcome to ranchers! :) Good advice in the above posts.

I would also say if you have feed and facilities you should be on the lookout for good heifer calves selling off the cow this fall, Make sure they have their fall shots and after settling in, perhaps do another round of shots just in case, along with a Bangs tag.

Breed next spring and ultrasound preg check at end of breeding season to cull any late or open heifers into early market.

The way to build a good quality cow herd is to constantly cull for infertility and physical defects (udder, eyes, feet, lumps, etc) IMO also cull the wild and mean heifers. In other words, cull for mental defects!

John SD said:
Welcome to ranchers! :) Good advice in the above posts.

I would also say if you have feed and facilities you should be on the lookout for good heifer calves selling off the cow this fall, Make sure they have their fall shots and after settling in, perhaps do another round of shots just in case, along with a Bangs tag.

Breed next spring and ultrasound preg check at end of breeding season to cull any late or open heifers into early market.

The way to build a good quality cow herd is to constantly cull for infertility and physical defects (udder, eyes, feet, lumps, etc) IMO also cull the wild and mean heifers. In other words, cull for mental defects!

You left out one thing, John. MINERAL. Keep the cattle on a good mineral program. :D That will save a lot of grief and $$$ down the line. More cattle will stay in the herd, among other things.

Go with goats...............there are several professional goat people on this board that would be more than willing to help you out :wink: ..........I'm not one of them :lol:

pups and bucks said:
Go with goats...............there are several professional goat people on this board that would be more than willing to help you out :wink: ..........I'm not one of them :lol:

Are you saying your just an" AMATEUR GOAT PERSON?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I make my own irons no blotting probs with vents cut and the sides tapered--- A standing b with another upside down and backwards--- now about stocking--- opinions?

Latest posts