• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ok I'll put up something about cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

m5farm said:
So I assume vigortone does region specific mineral . what works in TN does not work here

Pretty much. Usually the dealer or Area Sales Manager for that area has grass samples taken in each region. It's the oldest mineral company in the USA. You would not believe the data that has been collected over the years. In our area, mostly cow/calf pairs
on grass, we have it down to pretty much one kind, then that basic changes in ingredients depending on the state of the grass. We can use less phos mineral in the spring and early summer, then when the grass dries out our customers know to go with a higher phos level so they back off consumption. I've learned something my ASM told me 24 years ago (yep! been a dealer for 24 years!!)--QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF FORAGE DICTATES MINERAL CONSUMPTION. That's good to remember. We have used mineral as a management tool. When cattle on grass start hitting the mineral harder, it's most likely time to move them as the 'desirables' have gone out of the grass. Ever notice when you put hay out in feeders and one feeder has
hay that isn't as good as the other one, they will always eat the best bale first? You can't fool a cow. :D

Faster horses said:
m5farm said:
So I assume vigortone does region specific mineral . what works in TN does not work here

Pretty much. Usually the dealer or Area Sales Manager for that area has grass samples taken in each region. It's the oldest mineral company in the USA. You would not believe the data that has been collected over the years. In our area, mostly cow/calf pairs
on grass, we have it down to pretty much one kind, then that basic changes in ingredients depending on the state of the grass. We can use less phos mineral in the spring and early summer, then when the grass dries out our customers know to go with a higher phos level so they back off consumption. I've learned something my ASM told me 24 years ago (yep! been a dealer for 24 years!!)--QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF FORAGE DICTATES MINERAL CONSUMPTION. That's good to remember. We have used mineral as a management tool. When cattle on grass start hitting the mineral harder, it's most likely time to move them as the 'desirables' have gone out of the grass. Ever notice when you put hay out in feeders and one feeder has
hay that isn't as good as the other one, they will always eat the best bale first? You can't fool a cow. :D

Interesting on the Phos.... We sometimes fight Calcium as the vegetables we feed are really low. I've basically never gone to a high Phos because I really haven't seen the cost of over consumption compared to under. I wish my cattle were easier to get to daily. I likely could save a bunch with a little more Alfalfa here and there.

You are correct in being concerned about calcium. Adding calcium in the feedlot results in higher gains. Calcium in cattle is as important as calcium in people. If you are feeding a good 12% calcium mineral, you should be okay, I would think. I'm not familiar with calcium or the lack of it in vegetables, however.

Latest posts