• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

RSL

Help Support Ranchers.net:

GM888

Reaction score
Hey a long time ago there was a thread about solar pumping units. You mentioned building your own and I can't find the conversation. . Did you ever try the insulated pipe through the ice and what were you using for pumps when you built your own.

What is it you are trying to accomplish exactly?

I am looking at building some solar pumps and RSL mentioned building his own . Couldn't remember what he was using for pumps. Also one of the companies had a insulated tube to go through the ice if you don't have a wet well for winter. He had also mentioned this and wondering if he had ever tried it.

Can't answer ice and tube question, but the solar trough I use uses just a 24V bilge pump, I think it's capable of about 1000 gph.

Sorry for the slow reply. Been a crazy couple of weeks. Depending on lift we usually use a bilge pump. The bigger ones can do about 1250 gph and pump up to 12' max. To that we hook a solar panel/chargecontroller/battery and a "pump up" switch which is the opposite of a regular septic or sump pump.
We mount the pump in the bottom of a 5 gallon pail and then put a layer or 2 of styrofoam SM on the top to make it float. For higher lift we have hooked two pumps into the same outflow line (Y shaped).

The bilge pumps will drain back for winter use, but it takes a lot of frigging around to get things all sorted out. If you can lift the water and have it set up so the hose peaks a bit above the trough it will drain into the trough or back under the ice in the fall, the trick is to get the float set so that the capacity doesn't keep switching the pump on and off. You can also buy 12 or 24 volt "eyes" on Amazon to use as a switch. We haven't made it quite that far yet.

For big lifts (75') we have bought a Lorentz pump. We have been getting panels in Calgary at a place off 32nd St NE. www.solarwholesaler.ca

Forgot to mention, but you can use those insulation wraps for pipe for the part that goes through the ice (the foam kind, not the fibreglass).

Latest posts