• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Seats on the Federation of State Beef Councils

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
Kansas Beef Council seated 8 people on the Federation Board of Directors from 2007 to 2010 and sent $2,599,565 in 07, $2,398,928 in 08 and $2,456,619 in 2010. Since they give more than $1 million they also get a seat on the Executive Committee at NCBA but I don't know who that is.

Kansas share of the $1 collected in 2007 was $3,860,869, 2008 was $3,770,350, 2009 was $3,648,038 and 2010 was $3,766,190. Are you ready? Kansas spends 65-67% of their share, pretty sure Nebraska does too, (.50 of every $1 collected in Kansas) on the purchase of seats on NCBA's Federation. So does this empower the producers or the DIRECTORS ?
Maybe the producers should get 32.5 cent refund on the $1 paid, instead of buying seats at NCBA.

People should consider that this gives KS more power over NCBA, and NOT over the CBB which controls which projects get funded.

Those states sending state checkoff money to NCBA are FEDERATION division, NOT the POLICY division, which is the one this anti-NCBA diatribe is trying to kill.

States may have their own reasons for funding additional national checkoff projects with state share of the dollar. Most prevalent is that more money spent in 'cattle rich', 'consumer poor' states means less money available to develop more consumer friendly beef products and to promote beef in those high consumer to producer rations states.

mrj

I am pretty sure all major cattle producing states are all the same, but how many producers know that 67% of the states share of the checkoff dollar goes for seats on the Federation Board? I would bet that not many know. I didn't untill a couple days ago.

mrj said:
People should consider that this gives KS more power over NCBA, and NOT over the CBB which controls which projects get funded.

Those states sending state checkoff money to NCBA are FEDERATION division, NOT the POLICY division, which is the one this anti-NCBA diatribe is trying to kill.

States may have their own reasons for funding additional national checkoff projects with state share of the dollar. Most prevalent is that more money spent in 'cattle rich', 'consumer poor' states means less money available to develop more consumer friendly beef products and to promote beef in those high consumer to producer rations states.

mrj

So then what you're telling us is that power is for sale at NCBA? How much have members of the AMI kicked in?

mj...People should consider that this gives KS more power over NCBA, and NOT over the CBB which controls which projects get funded.

Give me one good reason that Ks. needs more power over the NCBA? Do you think that producers who pay for this should be in favor of each state donating checkoff dollars to the Federation? Why does the NCBA have its name in front of the Federation anyway? There are a lot of questions that need answered about this.
Try getting answers from your state beef councils. I have gotten stonewalled each time I try.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way this is going to be solved is to take the checkoff and split into a seperate entity again and start completely over, new location, new staff, and most importantly new directors. Then the rules will have to be changed to be such that any group or organization that does buisness with the check off can not be involved whats so ever in any political endevor period. Let the checkoff its self run the research and promotions and contract with univeristies and professional groups to get what they need done. Make it illegal for RCALF, NCBA, AMI, LMA or any other group that either lobbies or works any issues to contract with the checkoff. When thats done lets see if the checkoff is still of any use or just another goverment program that needs to terminated.

nenmrancher said:
I have come to the conclusion that the only way this is going to be solved is to take the checkoff and split into a seperate entity again and start completely over, new location, new staff, and most importantly new directors. Then the rules will have to be changed to be such that any group or organization that does buisness with the check off can not be involved whats so ever in any political endevor period. Let the checkoff its self run the research and promotions and contract with univeristies and professional groups to get what they need done. Make it illegal for RCALF, NCBA, AMI, LMA or any other group that either lobbies or works any issues to contract with the checkoff. When thats done lets see if the checkoff is still of any use or just another goverment program that needs to terminated.

:agree:

I didn't get that said the way I intended. Yes, the 'power' of the additional dollars from state share goes to PROJECTS, which gives that state more 'power' over WHICH project their additional state dollars go to.

Tommy, the fact is, KS has the right to control what their state share of the dollar is spent for, WITHIN THE LAW. That is what the states in the Federation DO, use additional STATE checkoff dollars to fund, or add dollars to projects they favor, above and beyond what is required by their national portion of checkoff dollars. Those state dollars are in ADDITION to the states' REQUIRED donation to the CBB.

Further, NCBA is comprised of two separate, very different divisions: The Federation of State Beef Councils is as the name indicates, checkoff related and funded; the Policy Division is, as the name indicates, the DUES PAYING CATTLEMENS' Assoc., attending to policy issues at the meetings, and funded by the individual members paying their own expenses as well as costs associated with policy issues and actions. The Policy/Dues division is supported by dues AND other income, including trade show income, dues of Allied Industry Members, and more. But NOT by the beef checkoff.

NONE of ANY checkoff money goes to NCBA's Policy Division, which is the dues payers who may choose to spend some money supporting candidates and issues which WE believe benefit the cattle producer.

The fact remains that NCBA was formed to 'share' staff, overhead, and other costs by keeping them low for ALL the entities, CBB, Federation of State Beef Councils, and the Policy Division of NCBA. Putting the name first, as you complain of, is a simplification over writing out all the names. CBB originally was in this group. The overhead costs for CBB since they went on their own could surely have been used more effectively for research or promotion of beef!!!!

Those staff time schedules according to which project they were working on are in 15 minute increments, and it would be very difficult to pare anything down more fair and accurate than that in anyones' book!

The savings in shared meetings of all these entities is not the only benefit. More people are able to learn more about the beef checkoff, more ag press is willing to attend and learn as well as to share the information about actions taken, effects of checkoff projects, and more.

It makes sense for

NCBA does NOT control where ANY checkoff money goes.

All projects are awarded by the CBB and always have been.

Who do you want controlling checkoff dollars? Cattle producers or USDA?

To date, the ONLY function of USDA oversight of beef checkoff has been to ASSURE COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAW. And control has ALWAYS been in hands of cattle producers.

Looks like that is about to change, since some new CBB members insist they are working for USDA, not the cattle producer.

I've always said, if the checkoff is taken from the control of the cattle producer, I will no longer support it. Looks like that day may be coming.

BTW, what is the national cattlemen's organization with the most dues paying members?

mrj

mj...Further, NCBA is comprised of two separate, very different divisions: The Federation of State Beef Councils is as the name indicates, checkoff related and funded; the Policy Division is, as the name indicates, the DUES PAYING CATTLEMENS' Assoc.,

You know MJ this is the problem. Why is NCBA composed of two divisions? What does the federation have to do with the NCBA? I would like a straight answer to this please.

mj...NCBA does NOT control where ANY checkoff money goes.

If most of the members on the board of the CBB and Federation are NCBA members one would surmise that the NCBA has control of the money.

mj...Who do you want controlling checkoff dollars? Cattle producers or USDA?

I am like nenmrancher, I want cattlemen and women who have no affiliation with any cattle organization.

mj...BTW, what is the national cattlemen's organization with the most dues paying members?

I am sure the NCBA has. One out of every 33 cattle producers. Also lots of their members come from mandatory membership by the place they feed cattle.

Tommy, you seem very sure of yourself claiming that cattle producers who pay a feedlot to feed their cattle for them are so spineless as to be members of ANY organization against their will. How do you verify that statement?

The Federation apparently appreciates that they can SHARE staff with NCBA at far less cost than finding their own staff and office space. Originally, and for many years until quite recently, CBB was doing the same thing. It would be interesting to see an accounting of how CBB is keeping their overhead within the mandated small percentage allowed under the beef checkoff law since they have left the shared situation.

Where do you get the information verifying that MOST members of the CBB are NCBA members? Are you counting Federation Division members as NCBA members? I have known many of them, as well as many other directors of CBB over the life-span of CBB who have NOT been NCBA members. It is very likely that, like the SD Beef Council, the CBB members are from at least 8 or more statewide cattle organizations. In SD, those include SD Cattlemen (affiliated with NCBA, but not all are NCBA members), SDCA Aux., SD CattleWomen (very likely few in either womens org. are NCBA members, though national CattleWomen meet at the same times/places TO CUT COSTS), SD Stockgrowers Assn. (strong R-CALF disciples ), SD Beef Breeds Assoc. (may have dual membership in any other cattle org., not necessarily NCBA), SDLivestock Marketing Assoc. (why this one??? May as well have all other cattle service businesses, too, major fundraisers for R-CALF exclusively), SD FU, in R-CALF camp) Farm Bureau (have their own national group and multi- commodity group, sometimes works with NCBA on ISSUES, reasonably supportive of Beef Checkoff, SD Dairy org. (not sure where they stand, but more likely to join their national orgs. than NCBA) There may be some I missed, but you should be able to get the picture, that 'control' of the checkoff is widespread among groups in SD and many other states. If your state is not that way, why isn't it?

The national Beef Checkoff. CBB) is verifiably 'controlled' by MANY cattle organizations from across the nation.

Why on earth would anyone want people who refuse to participate in, or even join, organizations supportive of their chosen career, raising beef cattle????

FACT: when R-CALF was being formed by Pat Goggins and other LMA leaders, and as justification for their own inclusion in the SD BIC, SD auction market owners stated publicly that cattle producers who don't join cattle organizations could be members of their SDLMA if they wanted to be, and wouldn't have to pay any dues, and of course, would have no vote. bit SDLMA would 'represent' them!!!! It was both amazing and sad to see how many bought into those worthless promises.

Regarding those fabled "one out of every 33 cattle producers" you anti-NCBA activists love to parade: there are many very small 'herds' whose owners do not depend upon cattle to make their living. I say more power to them for loving cattle enough to find ways to support that 'habit' even though they believe they cannot jusify joining any professional organization.

There are others who are content to get a free ride on the work done by others to improve the cattle business. They may justify that in their own minds, but they miss out on much by not 'giving back' to their industry, nor helping others to make it better.

You sound pretty bitter about things in which you do not participate, but you seem to have found your own niche to succeed in the cattle business. Isn't there any way you could use your mind to offer service to your state beef council with ideas to improve the beef business for you and others in your state and at the national level?

You say you get "stonewalled" when trying to talk to your state beef council. Do you know if it is comprised of representatives of state cattle groups, or is it under the state department of agriculture, whatever title that equivalent may use? Do you attend their meetings? Those meetings are open in SD, as most likely is required. It isn't under control of any 'superior' in SD, just has to follow dictates of the law with oversight by federal USDA, which is not good these days of liberal focus nearly exclusively on 'minority', 'deprived' groups. USDA seems to by trying to put ever more people into that category, and some cattlemen apparently wouldn't mind that at all!

The 'cream of the crop' of ideas and volunteers in state organizations do seem to float to the top at CBB, as has been my observation over the past 40 years of sometimes major involvement. Most of us involved off and on over many years didn't need to 'float to the top' to know that we had made valuable contributions, either. And, yes, I do acknowledge the fact of a large family has enabled us to volunteer more than many ranchers are able to. I've also heard a few NCBA leaders state that neighbors have pitched in to enable them to them serve.

mrj

mj...The Federation apparently appreciates that they can SHARE staff with NCBA at far less cost than finding their own staff and office space.

I have questions about this. Why is it NCBA Federation of State Beef Councils, and why is there a need for the Federation anyway? Instead of state beef councils sending 2/3rds of their checkoff dollars to the Federation, why not send it directly to the CBB?

mj...Regarding those fabled "one out of every 33 cattle producers" you anti-NCBA activists love to parade: there are many very small 'herds' whose owners do not depend upon cattle to make their living.

So you think the more cows you have the more votes you get?? Not one person one vote?

mj...You sound pretty bitter about things in which you do not participate, but you seem to have found your own niche to succeed in the cattle business. Isn't there any way you could use your mind to offer service to your state beef council with ideas to improve the beef business for you and others in your state and at the national level?

I am not bitter, just want answers to questions and not runarounds. Also think that state beef councils along with the CBB should be stand alone organizations, not controlled or a part of either state or national organizations. For your information MJ, the KLA (Kansas Livestock Association) claims the Kansas Beef Council not only as an affilliate but to be part of their organization.

Sorry if I didn't make this clearer:

If Federation needs a particular staff person for only part of a day, since staff account for their time in 15 minute increments, Federation can pay EXACTLY for the time they need and have services of staff with expertise in various things, from (and I'm not certain exactly what services they may need but am certain it varies with the project) secretarial to Ph.D in nutrients in beef, as an example, and there are many specialized staffers;

This has been explained many times, but NCBA is the overall coalition of cattle organization (Policy/Dues Division), CBB (originally in the same office, using shared, therefore less costly, staff), and the Federation Division (members of state Beef Councils who are from ALL cattle groups in a given state who participate in the Beef Council).

You would need to ask each state why they want to have a voice at the national level, in addition to the CBB spending half of the state dollar, AND have the ability to choose for themselves which ADDITIONAL projects they would like to focus an extra, self determined portion of their states' share of the half dollar of the beef checkoff.

Some states understand that their states are very low on numbers of consumers and very high in beef production, thus cannot hope to eat even a small percentage of beef they produce. Therefore, they believe it serves them well to target and focus extra money on specific projects approved by the Operating Committee of the CBB (the ONLY group approving proposals using ANY national beef checkoff dollars).

Further, the directors serving on the Federation are able to say where they want those additional dollars targeted, which they would not be able to do if they sent the money directly to the CBB.

Some states like the idea of having those extra directors (Federation, in addition to their CBB directors) being on the scene to participate in discussions of the standing committees charged with determining which AR's (Authorization Requests for spending) will be presented to the CBB for consideration by the Operating Committee. Some states have members they send to the Federation because they have expertise in a specific area which can be of value to both the state and the cattle/beef industry in general.

I know this is all complicated, but our industry is a complicated group of businesses, especially when considering that so many of us are producing basically the same end product, but in very different ways when you think about you and others producing for a local market, me and others producing high quality 9 to to 16 month calves and yearlings to sell to feeders, and some also produce grass yearlings raised without any exposure to feed bunks or grains to sell to feeders, some produce totally grass fed cattle, others produce totally organically grown and grain fattened cattle........some buy weaned calves in fall to pasture on wheat in the south and sell to feeders in spring, others send their fall calves directly to feedlots.......AND, it all works together to keep a steady supply of CHOICES of style of beef for consumers! And if we do not have some understanding of ALL the businesses involved between our own farm/ranch gate and the consumers plate, we cannot hope to serve the consumer what they want and deserve. WE have spent far too much fighting among ourselves about how beef SHOULD be produced, and have only in recent years begun to focus enough on producing high quality and the variety of STYLES of beef production those consumers demand. NCBA Policy division, along with Farm Bureau and some of the other beef groups have been at the forefront of this effort, while others have worked overtime to bring down 'the bigs'....feeders, packers, wholesalers, retailers, in the belief if we only keep it 'local' we can produce that grass fed or grain fed organic beef people want. BUT, how many people could afford it? Our VARIETY of qualities and styles of beef today are in demand world wide, with record high exports measured both in tons and dollars. If only our governments would stop playing politics with trade agreements, that would only grow!

You misinterpret the 'voting according to cows'....it is to give the producers in states paying more into the beef checkoff a fair shake over states producing very few cows/cattle in decisions on how the national share of the beef checkoff is spent, AND that happens through the Federation division.

Further, that argument of "one of evey 33 cattle producers....." is used routinely by those trying to bring down the Policy division of NCBA as justification for their 'myths' spread like so much manure against that group.

Kansas is one of the 'one hat' states. Meaning, they ARE affiliated, by choice of the beef producers in that state. Being 'affiliated' as part of a group of people and organizations working toward the same end (a successful cattle and beef industry) seems an unlikely reason to castigate that group!!!! 'One hat' states, as I understand them, had a state Ag department with which all or most commodity organizations in the state were AFFILIATED for many years.........so the natural progression was to continue that successful system when the Beef Checkoff was voted in. SD is not one of them, and has a more complex system, which is different, not necessarily better or worse.

Your preference for a separate, stand alone system for a commodity checkoff was tried with other commodities and the results were not good. Far too much money was spent on overhead (and the same is happening with the separated CBB office....it was inevitable) and I believe there have been problems with lavish travel allowances and entertainments at meetings. Under this system, you have multiple groups watching to assure that doesn't happen. I will say the MEF may be the exception to my contention of no lavish 'living' but they are funded by federal dollars and have to work with conditions of internation trade, is how I've heard that justified. I do NOT want that for the majority of checkoff dollars. Nor did the majority of cattle organization proponents of the Beef Checkoff who worked together to design the current law and system. They had observed problems with other systems, and with our voluntarily funded National Livestock and Meat Board. Politics have had some adverse effect on CBB, IMO, and thankfully that has been relatively rare. Hopefully the checkoff can survive as designed.

If it doesn't, or is hijacked by dissidents, I'm ready to work even harder to build a separate, privately funded checkoff branch within NCBA Policy division. That group, and the Federation (comprised of representatives from ALL beef organizations) developed the expertise, raport, and ability to work together with all players', from Land Grant Universities, Allied Industries, Government Agencies state and national cattle and breeds groups and all segments of producing beef from farm gate to consumers plate. These are the groups and individuals determined to continue cooperating to produce the best beef possible for the most people possible, and make a living at it.

Additional point: ALL money, even the state share spent WITHIN a state, has to meet the rather stringent guidelines for allowable uses of beef checkoff dollars, according to the law.

mrj

Latest posts