• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Time to Buy?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George said:
I guess I'm the odd duck out - - - other than for a mortgage I don't borrow money - - - I guess that is why every piece of equipment and every vehicle was used except for the 1978 chevy 4X4 I bought new ( still paid cash when I sold a load of hogs ). It served me well to over 500,000 miles but as any tool it passed its us-full life.

Many times I could probably have done good by borrowing but when I was young my father ( he was killed when I was 9 ) drilled into me to pay as you go.

I have many big boy toys but most of them were bought from a junk yard and rebuilt by me. The last decade I am still buying used but buying better than I have in the past.

Is my way the right way? I don't know but I have seen many who have borrowed and looked like the smart guy out there and a few years later they were losing everything.

I have bought my cattle a few at a time - - - took time to build up but no debt. Also I have mostly tillable ground and the cattle are as much a loved hobby as anything so that would make a difference. If I look back over the decades it is amassing to me that I have had the success I enjoy when so many others much smarter than me have failed.

Well you were extremely smart, you kept your debt to asset ratio in line... that was the most important thing in any business...well done

Latest posts