• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Warm Weather Holiday Pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Chimenea

Reaction score
Well, I have to say that the flip side to our scorching hot summers is pretty benign winter weather... it's pretty dry on our place (still waiting on the winter rains to start here), but we have no snow and our temperatures are nowhere near as frightening as the temperatures some of you northern folks (and even southern folks, the past couple of weeks...) have been seeing.

Anyway, I hope all of you had good Christmas and New Year celebrations, and I wish all of you here a very happy and prosperous 2011.

We had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with friends and family over the holidays, and got plenty of opportunity to enjoy the weather horseback. I even took some picture of some of our cattle for you this time, along with some horse pictures.

Cheers

This is about a week before Christmas, with some friends at the ranch. Four of these mares we've bred and raised; the other two (the paint and the red roan that is third from the left) we bought as weanlings and are using in our breeding program and to ride (obviously).
099.JPG

Christmas Eve (morning). My daughter enjoying the ranch on her paint mare. Saw a couple of deer (that we weren't quick enough to photograph). That's my nephew on the miniature mare ahead of my daughter.
243.JPG

Week between Christmas and New Year. Bringing in one of the mares. We picked this mare out in Nebraska four years ago as a weanling. She's under saddle and riding well now, and it seems that she will make a nice riding horse that should produce as a broodmare. The gray gelding is one we bred and raised (and used as a stud for one year), and is out of a paternal sister to buckskin mare.
423.JPG

Went for a short ride that evening to see how the kids did with their horses, which neither had ridden previously. Smiles all around. The buckskin mares on the ends came from Nebraska. The buckskin mare in the middle we bred and raised.
345.JPG

The next day. Out looking at some of the cattle. The buckskin mare my daughter is riding is the one we raised. The buckskin mare I'm riding is the one from Nebraska in the earlier picture. Same gray gelding next to her.
409.JPG

Found some girls coming in for water at one of the camps.
084.JPG

And then some more.
389.JPG

And more on the way out. Some of these mommas have just had their babies weaned.
447.JPG

Our ill-tempered young stud colt. :wink: He's a paternal brother to the buttermilk buckskin mare in the other pictures, and to the dam of the gray gelding. This colt is also the sire of two of the babies that I posted pictures of a few weeks back. He's coming five this coming summer (he's a late June baby and looks to be a fairly late bloomer), and is riding really quietly for us while showing a lot of desire to please his rider and to work a cow. We're pretty proud of him as a sire and as an individual. He is one of the quietest studs to handle, breed, and ride that I've had the pleasure of being around.
274.JPG

Head shot
275.JPG

Latest posts