• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What is this material being harvested?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
P9060455.JPG

Photo by member, gcreekrch.

Whitewing said:
Big Swede said:
Whatever it is it looks like awesome feed.

Sure does. And I was imagining my baler kicking 'em out one after the other. :D

Meadow foxtail likes low, damp, peaty ground and cool temps. Might not be the thing for you. Mind you, it's become a real weed around here and is growing pretty well everywhere, so maybe it would work down there :shock:
It does make great feed if it doesn't get too mature, the problem we have with it is that if it gets in with other hay crops it's always way past it's best by the time the alfalfa, brome and timothy is ready to go.

Not Meadow Foxtail either. Denny would call this stuff Bullfrog Alfalfa. This ground is a meadow we hayed until 2008. The year after this photo we bought our Morrison Meadow place and didn't sharecrop any more. This meadow is on the Dean River and is under 1 to 2 feet of water from May until mid June. Photo taken in late August. It does make a lot of low protein feed there.

gcreekrch said:
Not Meadow Foxtail either. Denny would call this stuff Bullfrog Alfalfa. This ground is a meadow we hayed until 2008. The year after this photo we bought our Morrison Meadow place and didn't sharecrop any more. This meadow is on the Dean River and is under 1 to 2 feet of water from May until mid June. Photo taken in late August. It does make a lot of low protein feed there.

I was going to comment last night that this is Bullfrog Alfalfa but I figured it was your field. :wink:

Latest posts