• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What the heck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rkaiser

Reaction score
Hi everwebody----- Just can't help checkin in on you guys from time to time and thought I would chip in once again.

Watched a good movie last night called "Food Inc." Nothing really new, just the same old same old "multinational control of the Agriculture bizz", with a bit of stuff at the end about some success stories in the grassroots producer corner.

Been thinkin a lot about the whole Canada vs. USA thing over the past few years and it really makes very little sense. Canadian and American producers do not sell beef. Well very few of us do. Any effort that we make with our "industry" groups only helps our multinational packers sell beef. Rcalf is no exception. All this scrappin that we see can only be seen as entertainment for the boys who deal in the world that few of us have even ventured in to . Beef sales that is.

It is frustrating to watch value chain initiatives start up only to be torn apart by fear in our country while their is always the will of producers to blame government and our multinational profit driven capitalist friends and look for problems with those who try.

Don't get me wrong, I feel that the multinationals are a problem, but we are allowing them to be most of that problem.

Why is it so hard to change????? Why will producers fight and fight to preserve the way that they have done things for years but yet ask them to finish their own stock and designate them to a producer owned value chain and they run like hell.

Something like 17 or 18 producer proposals that were started in this country, most of which had some sort of value chain attached, are dust in the wind. We all have excuses for why each one failed. Bottom line is somebody --- or some group of somebody's gave up. Yes the industry is cut throat and somewhat Haha tilted toward the big boys, but there is room if we choose to stand in it.

That room ---- somewhere between the under $4.00 a pound lost leader strip loin at the Calgary Co-op store down the street from our Second to None all natural $27.99 strip loin. No we are not growing many new customers with those prices ---- where we have been for years now ----, but our customer base is allowing us to keep our three stores open through one of the worst recession plagued falls we have ever seen.

Still dream of a day when producers on both sides of the 49th can see the problem and deal with it in some kind of collective, collaborative way --- but in the meantime ---- Que sa ra....

Good to see that most all of you are still going at er..

Randy

Oh yes --- In case I don't chip in much for a while ---- I will remind you that we will be selling 40 of the best DNA, Ultrasound, and linear measures two year old bully's you'll find in North America next April. You wanna know where the high quality beef is --- take a look.. :)

Hello Randy - good to see you are alive and kicking

Will peruse your sale site when I get to a computer that allows pics - I am censored out on this one

BC

Randy said:
That room ---- somewhere between the under $4.00 a pound lost leader strip loin at the Calgary Co-op store down the street from our Second to None all natural $27.99 strip loin. No we are not growing many new customers with those prices ---- where we have been for years now ----, but our customer base is allowing us to keep our three stores open through one of the worst recession plagued falls we have ever seen.
Proof that not all customers buy on "price only"...some put quality and safety first.
Good to hear from you, Randy!!! Keep up the good work and best of luck to you.

Good post......but really don't agree with this part.....

"Still dream of a day when producers on both sides of the 49th can see the problem and deal with it in some kind of collective, collaborative way"

Surprised that a smart, innovative, entreprenur type.....like yourself.....would wish for collaborative and/or collective anything.

History has proven that real, significant progress is made by individual entities and for profit businesses........not associations or collectives.

Guess I was hoping that you would ask about opening up a "Second to None" meat shop franchise down there in Wyomin Greybull..... LOL

Latest posts