• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

You know your a farm/ranch kid when:

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MN Farm Girl

Reaction score
All through calving I have been pondering on things that I have done and decided to compile them into a list...feel free to add more!!!

You Know You're a Farm Kid When:
1.)You are late for school at least once during calving season and the administration laughs.

2.)You pull your keys out of your pocket in the hallway, and OB gloves fall out

3.)You go to school with cow sh*# on your boots

4.)Your excuse for not doing homework is that a cow calved last night and it was late.

5.)You check cows with coveralls pulled over pajamas.

6.)You come home late from hanging with friends, and immediately check cows, go to bed and get up early to check them yet again.

7.)Your coveralls have not seen a washing machine since calving started

8.)Your belt buckle gets CMT.

9.)You beg to wear your boots to prom.

You take cat naps in every class that you can
You get call to the office only to be told that you need to go home and help your dad pull a calf

.)You beg to wear your boots to prom.
A lot of kids here do wear there boots & there Hat. The word is next years prom theme will be Cowboy take take me away. Yes kids do get sent out of school to clean the s4!t off there shoes.

we had neighbors that home schooled.their school break was during spring planting and then harvesting.
not unusual to see the kids as young as 6 or 8 yrs old operating the large 4-wheel drive John Deere equipment by themselves.
or,out working livestock and handling farm/ranch responsibilities.

u know you're a farm kid,when u can BACK a 4 wheeled running gear where u need it the first time.i love farm/ranch rodeos involving the younger generations.

Other Parents !! Thank You !! because your kid explained where "Baby's Come From" at school and were right!

Your kids Teacher ask If She Can Bring A Tub Of "Off Fall" To Biology Class.

Kid Learned to drive on a Tractor

Kids can back-up a Goose Neck

Kid come running in "Dad that Dam Cow is Back-In. (Heat)
And the list goes on.

Takin the truck to the prom. Not a pickup either, a truck. Hey he did unhook the trailer though.
Come to think of it I know a kid who took a pickup to the prom, but he didn't unload the round bale.

-you've used the Sears catalog for other than shopping
-you know what rainwater off rubberoid shingles tastes like
-you've drove the tractor to the bus stop
-you've been sent home from elementary school because you were lousy from skinning fur bearing animals before school
-you have a trap line in the bush down below the old one room school house.

When you're a teenager and trying to impress the girls you ask your Dad to let you out of the old ranch truck a block away from school so the girls don't see what you are riding in. :roll:

Lets see, I have taken the pickup to prom, wore my boots to our group pictures for prom, informed my dad in public that a cow was in heat yet again, learned to drive on a tractor, took cat naps in school to catchup during calving, and had mom call the office to tell him i will be late cuz a cow calved and I had to help. I have pushed a great deal of the administrations buttons this year for sure..haha

You know your a farm/ranch kid when:

.. you walk barefoot through the mud and cow sh*t in the barnyard... and write your name in a cow pie with your toe :lol:
.. you ride the bale elevator up to the mow of the barn.
... you ride at the top of the bales on the bale wagons while going down the highway.
.. you play in the grain in the hopper wagons.
... you ride around on the tractor for hours plowing, discing, planting.
... you find the hidden kittens in the hay mow.
... you swim in the water trough on a hot summer's day.
... you catch fireflies in a jar.... and tadpoles and frogs. (not all in the same jar) :wink:
... you gather the chicken eggs
... you ride calves when you're not supposed to :D
... you play tag on the beams in the barn.
... you swing on a rope swing from beam to beam in the barn.
... milk the Jersey cow by hand.

When you bring your shotgun on the bus to shoot skeet behind the graveyard at lunch time. (Oh maybe that is Redneck 8) )

My kids didn't believe we did that until I introduced them to a few others that confirmed it.

Our bus driver let us take our firearms on the bus when we were going to stay at a friends place for the weekend. The guns stayed on the bus for the day and we took them with us when we got off. Not sure if the teachers ever knew.

i remember taking my new shotgun to school in the back window gun rack of my pick-up, at noon one of the teachers came out and showed me his new shotgun, after school we went duck hunting. boy how times have changed. :???: :cry:

hayguy said:
i remember taking my new shotgun to school in the back window gun rack of my pick-up, at noon one of the teachers came out and showed me his new shotgun, after school we went duck hunting. boy how times have changed. :???: :cry:

Didn't they call them a Blunderbuss back then? :wink: :lol: :lol:

when my classmates and I had to leave our rural school to attend high school in town about 40 miles away. No buses for us back then, we had to board in town during the week. My friends and I always wondered why those town kids thought they were so superior, we knew their Dads were the guys that fixed our Dad'a cars, unloaded our truck loads of grain, came out sometimes to fix our toilets, all the things that town people do. We thought of those townie's fathers as our hired men. Boy, were they ever mixed up!

Latest posts