• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Advice Needed: Career Outlook

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jacob Segars

Reaction score
Hello my name is Jacob Segars and I am an 18 year old currently attending college for an bachelors degree in Livestock Production. I battle with having cerebral palsy on my right side. My largest passion and knack is in training dogs. My goal is to operate a stock dog training business and work in the cattle industry. I am looking for advice as have debated on attending an local tech school that offers an associates in agriculture with a emphasis on Animal Science and learning more hands own or continue on my path towards a Bachelors. Just wanting to see what you think would be the best way to reach my end goal. Thanks in advance !

With that little bit of information it's impossible for anyone to advise you properly.
First we don't what you have for life experience in regards to agriculture, where you live and what Ag opportunities exist close by.
Do you have family or friends involved in Ag?
Any education is good but you have to decide what works best for you

I live in Lavonia Georgia but go to school at ABAC, I have some experience around agriculture, have a good many friends in the industry and have been learning more when I can . I know how to drive a tractor/Front End Loader and run a bush hog, and use other small general tools, as well as have worked doing general maintenance & cleaning of chicken houses as needed for the past two years. Near the college is mainly row crops whereas back home (near tech school) I could easily have hands on experience with cattle and also transfer to UGA if I decided to go further with my education.

Latest posts