• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Buzzards Beat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Food & Agriculture
An Open Letter to Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez From a Kansas Rancher

Posted On February 8, 2019
Hello Congresswoman,
You don't know me from Adam but I've been following your actions for several months now; both leading up to the election and, now that you've taken office, even more so. I swell with pride at the sight of so many women in leadership positions in our nation's capital and the most recent State of the Union Address highlighted the start of a new chapter in American politics; one that has women more heavily involved than ever before. That's a great thing and I support this new normal!

I'm a Kansas rancher out here in the sticks loving life while raising beef with my family!
However, as a beef producer in rural Kansas working with my family to raise cattle, I feel the need to point out some facts about agriculture that were misrepresented in your Green New Deal. As a rancher, I am proud to produce safe, healthy and affordable beef for a hungry nation. We are producing beef in the United States more sustainably and efficiently than ever before – did you know that the U.S. produces nearly 20% of the world's beef with only 9% of the world's cattle? That's pretty amazing and tells a great story of our efficiency using the resources available to us!
As a rancher, I can tell you that we take the quality of the great outdoors very seriously – air, soil and water quality are all of utmost importance to us here because, well we are the ones living here in the sticks. Which is why our segment of agriculture actively works to reduce our impact on the environment every. single. day. For example, from 2005-2011, the U.S. beef industry reduced its greenhouse gas emissions and water use by 2% and 3%, respectively. That reduction in air emissions puts our figures at just 2% of the sum total of U.S. GHG, according to the EPA. Comparatively, the U.S. transportation sector contributes 28% of GHG emissions.

Horseback in our pastures with tall green grass is one of my favorite places to be!

You might wonder how us farmers and ranchers are lessening our footprint? Good question:
We are using better genetics from cattle to produce animals that yield more tasty beef using fewer inputs from water and land.
Every year we are utilizing the best technology available to us to help us manage the health and growth of our animals so we can be efficient with our resources.
Did you know that cows are great up-cyclers AND recyclers? Cows are able to take foods like sugar beet pulp and carrot tops – things that would otherwise be wasted as food production by-products – and turn those into beef. This reduces the overall amount of food waste in our great nation. Additionally, what other animal do you know that can take grass and turn it into a delicious steak? Seriously, cows are like superheroes.
Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez, I appreciate your dedication to improving our earth and pursuing sustainable futures but I beseech you to please have a conversation with your constituents and colleagues that have an agriculture background. Cows are not the problem – the nearly 264 million cars on the road in the U.S. are a glaring issue. I applaud your efforts to make vehicles more environmentally friendly and if you can commit to working on transportation, I assure you that my fellow farmers and ranchers and I will continue to improve our practices to keep reducing our already negligible impact on the environment.

Wide open spaces and baby calves = some of my favorite things.
I would welcome your questions, comments or even a visit to our little ranch property for a tour of the cows.
Thank you for your time – I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Brandi Buzzard Frobose
Rancher, wife, mama and steward of the land

For those readers who want to stay in the know about new writing, you can sign up for new posts delivered directly to your inbox here in the right side pane. I never use your email for marketing purposes. And if you want to follow me on social media, you can find me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. I hope to see you there!
Share this:
Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
10K+Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)1

I was given this link by the WWF rep on the USA and Candain Roundtable for Sustainable Beef. He is a close friend to to fine lady and a livestock producer himself.

For example, from 2005-2011, the U.S. beef industry reduced its greenhouse gas emissions and water use by 2% and 3%, respectively. That reduction in air emissions puts our figures at just 2% of the sum total of U.S. GHG, according to the EPA. Comparatively, the U.S. transportation sector contributes 28% of GHG emissions.

Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez, I appreciate your dedication to improving our earth and pursuing sustainable futures but I beseech you to please have a conversation with your constituents and colleagues that have an agriculture background. Cows are not the problem – the nearly 264 million cars on the road in the U.S. are a glaring issue. I applaud your efforts to make vehicles more environmentally friendly and if you can commit to working on transportation, I assure you that my fellow farmers and ranchers and I will continue to improve our practices to keep reducing our already negligible impact on the environment.

It bothers me that man made climate change/GHG is addressed, more or less, as something to be concerned about, or something that is even real. Redirecting these nutcases back to the transportation sector, joined at the hip with the energy sector, may not be as helpful in the long run than if the focus can be put on dispelling the issue.

I wonder if all these Dem presidential candidates are going to use public transportation on the campaign trail?

Traveler I bet if you contacted her and had a discussion with her she might see your point of view.

I like her cause she is a Wildcat fan.

Latest posts