• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

.204 Ruger ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Mike- Have you or anyone shot the .204 Ruger round? Kid has been looking at picking up a new varmint rifle and is thinking about getting a .204...Cute little cartridge- I just don't know anyone that has used one or that much about them....

Oldtimer said:
Mike- Have you or anyone shot the .204 Ruger round? Kid has been looking at picking up a new varmint rifle and is thinking about getting a .204...Cute little cartridge- I just don't know anyone that has used one or that much about them....

20 caliber bullets have been around for 30-40 years. Wildcatters are always experimenting and they feed the commercial gun market.

The 204 has a really fast muzzle velocity (over 4000 fps) due to it's small size ( 35 grain bullets), but have a downside too. They slow down faster because of less momentum. I wouldn't try to stretch it out over 300 yds.

The .204 is plenty accurate (from what the guys at the range tell me) and should stick around for awhile.

I think it's based on the 222 Rem Magnum, which has more case capacity than a .223. Could possibly be a barrel burner if it's not kept clean properly.

Should be a fun gun to shoot. I too have the need for speed.

Thanks Mike- I guess the kid found a friend of his that has one and he's going to take it out and shoot it and see what he thinks....

What I thought was neat was that you could pack a whole afternoons worth of shooting in your pocket- like a 22- they're so little....

Friend of mine has one, and loves it. Especially on coyotes. Know what you're saying though Mike about long shots - Curtis said he levels them flat @ 200-250, any farther and you're crossing your fingers as soon as you squeeze the trigger.

Latest posts